Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : what performance mods should i do for a little extra power?

MaNaWaR
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:51:49 AM
what are a couple mods that i can do just to get a little more power? i dont really race or anything but i just like the idea of a little more, maybe close to 300 rwhp. i dont need anything crazy or too expensive. i would like to keep the car just as reliable as it is now so i dont know if chips or pulleys or things like that would mess with that. i have raspx midpipe (no power) and an eisenmann race on order. what other small mods could i do? i am thinking along the lines of the kn 57 intake but what could compliment this or would i be better off calling it quits at that?

Beowoulf
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:08:42 AM
You can try the intake but you are not really going to get to 300 without spending some money and doing things like pullies and software. You may consider removing some weight from the car instead if you are concerned with warranty and such.

STALKER
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:12:55 AM
Get some pullies, I just ordered some myself. If you really want to do something, get either SS headers and cats, or Euro headers and cats, but that will set you back roughly $3000USD.

M3_Dave
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:17:46 AM
ya know what will make you FEEL more powerful?

do a search! :thumbsup:

im being nice alex....damn it!

hdsr09
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:28:03 AM
For the best reliability without having issues at your stealership, I would say the K&N 57 Series Intake (if/when it ever is released), Pullies, Your Rasp-X & Eisenmann Exhaust, and maybe some upgraded coils. I saw dyno sheets for the coils, ant they add a few hp... The chip upgrade may irk your stealer, depending if they are anal or not... There isn't much else, save the chip upgrade, cams, headers w/ race cats or straight pipe w/ O2 Simulator. I would say the cams and headers aren't worth it, as you might as well just buy an Active Autowerkes S/C if you are going to spend thousands of $$$$...

MaNaWaR
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:05:27 AM
would there be any way of adding headers while getting rid of the rasp at the same time? and then add exhaust and intake? all without the car being insanely loud?

daihard
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:22:29 AM
would there be any way of adding headers while getting rid of the rasp at the same time? and then add exhaust and intake? all without the car being insanely loud?
I don't mean to be a killjoy, but I'd really suggest that you drive around in stock for a while once you get your car before you decide to spend any money on mods. Chances are, the M3 turns out to be powerful enough for you so you will be able spend the money on something else. :D

DaBean
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:56:41 AM
I don't mean to be a killjoy, but I'd really suggest that you drive around in stock for a while once you get your car before you decide to spend any money on mods. Chances are, the M3 turns out to be powerful enough for you so you will be able spend the money on something else. :D

^
^
^ I agree with Dai. The car stock is more than powerful, especially if you are used to driving a much less powerful car (not sure what you have now..)
I think the exhaust and midpipes will be a good start, although I would wait until after break-in to install those as well; it would otherwise be too tempting to over-rev too often with those on.

Super Gyros
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:10:15 PM
I would spend money on suspension mods instead. Swaybars and coilovers...

MaNaWaR
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 12:56:39 AM
well i guess ill try the car out and see how i like it, id be doing it for sound as well. for now ill stick with my raspx and eisenmann race and then go for a set of pss9's and maybe add some sways and a clear bra and be done

MaNaWaR
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 12:57:19 AM
o btw i drive a 01 vw golf 2.0 liter 115 hp :)

spartacus700
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:19:55 AM
How much are you looking to $pend ?

GHOSTRIDER
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:43:15 AM
if you plan on doing the clear bra, do it 1st or not at all.

PatrickJr
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:15:01 AM
Do coilovers and bars b4 doing any power mods. Coming over from a golf, you'll have your hands full for some time...
PK

DJ9
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:23:32 AM
Aluminum Pedals= 14 hp's