Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Angle eye startup problem

Troyss
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:10:25 AM
Sometimes when I startup my car I noticed the one of the rings will be very dim, it usually gets brighter if i turn them off and on again or 5 mins. passes. Any reason for cause.

cbformula
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:14:53 AM
mine does that too... actually two of them do. Ive isolated the problem being the ring itself, not the wires, ballast, etc. Its perfectly fine again once its warmed up a bit. Only happens when I start it in very cold conditions.

bimmer007
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:22:13 AM
a few days ago, my inner ones did not turn on for about 5-10 seconds after i turned them on. i knew this because i turned them on in front of a glass reflection.

DaBean
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:24:02 AM
yea - cold will do that...
however, if you notice one of them doesn't turn on even after 5-10 mins, then you have a problem on your hands (like I've had grrrr....)

luxautodetail
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:46:56 AM
It's known for the cold weather. They are flourescent bulbs and warm up w/ the temps. Normal issue.

boomer
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:35:07 PM
Yeah, got the same problem here. Since I don't like driving around with one ring not lit (looks really bad, imo), I'll turn the night lights on for the first 5-10 minutes of my drive, then go DDE-only after it's had enough time to warm up.

Rated///M
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:41:16 PM
This is normal, just turn on your headlights and they will warm up. I live in Ca and there is no snow, and it still happens to me.

Sirius
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:44:11 PM
Cold weather.

Mine suffer the same issue. One of my rings won't light up unless its about 35 degrees. Luckly thats one of the outer rings, so it can be masked by the headlamps.

laxplaya21
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 08:46:05 PM
I am located in Long Island NY, temps are freezing and whenever I use my remote activated halos two of the rings will be dim, however as soon as I turn the car on, as in having the engine running all 4 halos function properly. I thought this was rather strange, I guess I should be happy it only happens when they are running on battery power.

Sirius
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 09:12:08 PM
For some reason, the halos dislike cold temps. Which makes no sense because electronic devices function more efficently at colder tempatures.

anerbe
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 12:59:45 AM
i had the same problem, and now it's remedied by hardwiring the system together - my connectors kept having small burnt holes in them, and actually the ballast side connectors would spark by themselves, creating a sizzling sound. i could have returned mine, but instead i hardwired them all together - it's been single digit temps, and all of mine now turn on at the same time bright from the start.

mflip04
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:16:04 AM
yea - cold will do that...
however, if you notice one of them doesn't turn on even after 5-10 mins, then you have a problem on your hands (like I've had grrrr....)

yeah its normal. give it time for the car to warm up, then it should be good

Troyss
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:34:08 AM
its 65 degrees out and it still does this.

laxplaya21
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 01:46:31 AM
i had the same problem, and now it's remedied by hardwiring the system together - my connectors kept having small burnt holes in them, and actually the ballast side connectors would spark by themselves, creating a sizzling sound. i could have returned mine, but instead i hardwired them all together - it's been single digit temps, and all of mine now turn on at the same time bright from the start.

Thats a good point. Now that I think of it, I actually had to hard wire one of my halos due to that problem exactly. I am going to look into and maybe hard wire all of them. Maybe this is the remedy to the cold start problem???!

Majin SSJ Eric
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 03:38:57 AM
This may be a stupid question but does the M3 come with angel eyes or are you guys talking about aftermarket ones?

laxplaya21
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:34:18 AM
This may be a stupid question but does the M3 come with angel eyes or are you guys talking about aftermarket ones?

They are aftermarket