Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Permanent removal of rear seats?

GiveMeAnM3
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 03:13:21 AM
Would it be retarded to semi-permanently remove the rear seat bottom and seatbacks with carpeted aluminum panels??? Only used them once since I've owned the car (Jul 04), and I don't like carrying more than one passenger anyway!

I can alway reinstall them if needed. The first person I asked said, "in that case, why in the hell didn't you just buy a vette!"

Now THAT was a retarded statement! :chair:

J/K on the last statement...

Sirius
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 03:46:41 AM
If you're not going to use them... why not?

gnk2727
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 04:09:31 AM
I dont see why not.

Rated///M
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 04:33:44 AM
Hmm, I don't removing the rear seats will help too much. I don't think they are that heavy.

GiveMeAnM3
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 04:48:07 AM
Hmm, I don't removing the rear seats will help too much. I don't think they are that heavy.

not really, but it all adds up...51 lbs from the bench and backs, plus some other things (lighter battery, removal of trunk mats/air pump) and I'm looking at about 70 lbs or so.

DaBean
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:01:09 AM
It adds up, sure... but why did you get an M3 if you are going for a lightweight car? if anything you should have gotten the E36... much lighter, almost same power (3.2 at least)...
No offense to Scott or any of the people doing lightweight mods, but unless you do serious racing and do serious weight removal... it seems to me you just bought the wrong car... But hey, if you can shave enough weight and add enough power to make it worth your while, then go for it. There are a lot of things I'd personally do before removing the rear seats... like, getting lightweight rims for one

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:06:43 AM
sure you can....im at 3000lbs with rollbar....lose the rear seat...2950 ish....half a tank..

DaBean
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:08:27 AM
sure you can....im at 3000lbs with rollbar....lose the rear seat...2950 ish....half a tank..

Well, yea.. anything will help.. What I'm saying is that unless you're doing serious racing where 1/20th of a second matters, you won't feel the diff...

But if he doesn't need the rear seats, might as well start somewhere...

I don't know, for me, the whole philosophy of the M3 is that it's a sports car that seats 5. If I wanted a sports car that seats 2, I would have looked at a 911 (either used TT to match budget, or new lower model...)...

sk8ermoo
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:29:05 AM
Well, yea.. anything will help.. What I'm saying is that unless you're doing serious racing where 1/20th of a second matters, you won't feel the diff...

But if he doesn't need the rear seats, might as well start somewhere...

I don't know, for me, the whole philosophy of the M3 is that it's a sports car that seats 5. If I wanted a sports car that seats 2, I would have looked at a 911 (either used TT to match budget, or new lower model...)...

I agree 100%. I think you got the wrong car if you're concerned about weight. You can do what Scott did and what we wish we could do if we had the money and buy 2 M3s.

Beowoulf
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:34:32 AM
You can easily remove the back which is the heaviest part. I've seen people remove the whole thing and make a small platform so it looks nice and clean. If you use very light weight materials you will save quite a bit including a new lightweight battery, getting rid of the useless mobility kit and heavy padding and carpet in the trunk.

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:36:03 AM
so the answer is yes...however the rear seatback offer support of the rear trunkspace....so you'll want to make sure its braced...

what you can do, if you want to keep it halfway decent looking....leave the bench seat in...it weighs 10lbs....and use aluminum sheeting to cover the rear....you can, get some leather and have the aluminum covered....make it look stock....

the rear seatbacks are about 37lbs for the two.....so a sheet of aluminum will add back 5 to 10 lbs...

contact evosport, they've got aluminum and cf for the rear truck/seatback area....

tell em i sent ya.....don't know if folks knew they had this stuff available...

Beowoulf
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:42:14 AM
Steve, was it you that did that custom job on the back seat area?

Btw, how is that intake working out for you? I saw the finished headlight inlet. A lot better than my suggestion of a toilet flange. :D

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:45:06 AM
no, i wanted to, but just left it alone.....left the rear bench seat in....modified the stock seatbacks...took the steel plate out.....so looking inside it still looks stock....

basically no one was getting in the back seat anyway, not with the seats fixed to the floor...no sliders

here's a look at what evosport has done....realize that they can make/cut to fit whether one has a cage or not...

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46m3/6154684-3.html

Beowoulf
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:54:08 AM
Nice.

GiveMeAnM3
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:57:30 AM
so the answer is yes...however the rear seatback offer support of the rear trunkspace....so you'll want to make sure its braced...

what you can do, if you want to keep it halfway decent looking....leave the bench seat in...it weighs 10lbs....and use aluminum sheeting to cover the rear....you can, get some leather and have the aluminum covered....make it look stock....

the rear seatbacks are about 37lbs for the two.....so a sheet of aluminum will add back 5 to 10 lbs...

contact evosport, they've got aluminum and cf for the rear truck/seatback area....

tell em i sent ya.....don't know if folks knew they had this stuff available...
BINGO...Evosport replied back and they do have a kit, which is what got the ol' wheels turnin' early today. Have you seen their kit? Any pics available anywhere?

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:59:47 AM
as far as the intake goes....the toilet flange...lol......we actually made our own out of aluminum....Chuck D has it right now...and he's doing testing with various intakes, AFE, BMC, Stock, K&N with air flow thru stock kidney and fog......stock kidney/fog/headlight........headlight only.......in other words all configs possible....

getting some interesting data....which of course will kept secret :-) actually the headlight config does us no good.....since headlight intake immediately jumps you up to modified class in bmwcca.....so its really only a street app, unless one wants to take the step up to mod immediately...

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:01:03 AM
BINGO...Evosport replied back and they do have a kit, which is what got the ol' wheels turnin' early today. Have you seen their kit? Any pics available anywhere?

yep...look up 2-3 posts....voila....understand that the only reason the rear is in two pieces.....so it can be fitted around the rollcage braces....otherwise...its just one piece...

there is 100 lbs to be saved right there.....rear seats 50.....battery 50....mobility kit (who's gonna use that junk) 10lbs.....

DaBean
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:44:50 AM
Wow - that Evosport is crazy!! not a fan of the wing, but I'm sure it's there for a purpose. That car looks so different. Is it even street legal like that?

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:53:49 AM
Wow - that Evosport is crazy!! not a fan of the wing, but I'm sure it's there for a purpose. That car looks so different. Is it even street legal like that?

Well it aint' there to eat BBQ off of.....that's for sure....

If the car still has Cats, then yes, its street legal...

http://members.roadfly.com/stmedina/SnookPics/js-club+race-mid-ohio-october+264.jpg

DaBean
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:56:05 AM
Well I think it needs more than just cats to stay legal, like, 2 headlights (pic only has one) and things like crash safety etc... From the looks of it, it only has 1 headlight, although it still has those fugly reflectors.. so I dunno...
But that is definitely not a grocery getter anymore...

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:04:25 AM
Well I think it needs more than just cats to stay legal, like, 2 headlights (pic only has one) and things like crash safety etc... From the looks of it, it only has 1 headlight, although it still has those fugly reflectors.. so I dunno...
But that is definitely not a grocery getter anymore...

its a race car....who cares about reflectors...

actually, bmwcca has rules to what deems the car legal....and in hprepared, the "basic" objective is for the car to be able to "technically" be driven to the event...that's at least what the stock class objective is...

so yes, lights, signals, and other things that make the car street legal, are more than likely still functioning.....

that pic i posted of the gmg car, is not the evosport car....and for the light being out...that's an easy fix....

prior to being the gmg car, it was scott galaba's...and it was street legal...puttin out about 390 hp...

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:06:11 AM
oh ps.....don't you have those same reflectors in your sig.....ugh :-) how awful...

DaBean
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 08:01:11 AM
oh ps.....don't you have those same reflectors in your sig.....ugh :-) how awful...

why so offensive tonight??

yes I do have the reflectors because I have not gone around to overpaying for these... but who knows, I might get tired of them and order them anyways...

I was just pointing out things in the car... did you think I was trying to ridicule it?? I think it's a hot car (I guess both of them.. the Evosport and the other one you posted...)

Let's get back on topic...

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 08:18:08 AM
why so offensive tonight??

yes I do have the reflectors because I have not gone around to overpaying for these... but who knows, I might get tired of them and order them anyways...

I was just pointing out things in the car... did you think I was trying to ridicule it?? I think it's a hot car (I guess both of them.. the Evosport and the other one you posted...)

Let's get back on topic...

didn't ya see the smiley face....it was a joke......sorry bout that.

DaBean
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 08:23:01 AM
didn't ya see the smiley face....it was a joke......sorry bout that.

My bad... wow I'm on a role for misintepreting posts tonight...

but yea.. I gotta get rid of those things... :beer:

EMAXX
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:33:58 PM
I say go for it. Take the seats out and fabricate something out of aluminum to put there and I think it'll look really good.