Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : exhaust woe..need 1/2" more

Fastdog911
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:33:53 AM
Ok I have a Stebro to a Eismann 2 to a UUC Exhaust. Once I got this installed I noticed a vibration in rev up from 2.5 to 4K.. that is in "O" and just running the motor up and down. I was under the car tonight and I saw that my UUC Exhaust is touching the heat sheild that is under the spare tire indent. If I can push the exhuast forward 1/2" I would be golden. Mounts look good.. we didn't have to mod anything on the install. first off ...does anyone have an exhaust that is touching the car on the heat sheild in the photos? Can you take off that black part and heat sheild and bang it back some ( as in heavy hammer) ? I could put something between the muffler and heat sheildso they dont rub but what? What do you guys think

RYANM330CI
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:54:34 AM
Looks like a bad install.

Fastdog911
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:58:48 AM
the install was just that.. the all three things just bolted right in.. no cut sections etc. but could be.. what am I looking for in a bad install? How far away should this be away from the sheild? 1" ??

GiveMeAnM3
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 03:05:44 AM
Well, I don't have UUC, but on my SS, the muffler bkts are sloted vertically to allow for "height" adjustment of the tips. But I think your issue is horizontal positioning, which is fixed by the connecting pipes. Are all the connecting pipes at the correct lengths?

GiveMeAnM3
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 03:07:13 AM
the install was just that.. the all three things just bolted right in.. no cut sections etc. but could be.. what am I looking for in a bad install? How far away should this be away from the sheild? 1" ??

Mine is about 3/4" stone cold. I would assume it increases slightly at operating temp.

Drifter
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 03:16:23 AM
ah the pipes should fit with out hitting anything. Your install may have something very small wrong with it. And also got a hammer? hit that one part soft and see if it can move or just cut that area that is hitting out.

RYANM330CI
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 03:17:23 AM
Check the connecting pipes, btw who did the install? Here is a pic of the exhaust on my car

Beowoulf
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:02:13 AM
It is usually an install problem. If you put it on a lift, loosen everything and readjust, I bet it would be fine.

Drifter
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:44:36 AM
Like Beowoulf and many others said. Go back and realine it.

And I hope your happy with your purchase!!!! Get videos and photos!!!

Fastdog911
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 03:02:58 PM
going back today.. we will unbolt and rebolt things.. I am sure this is why I have such a vibration in the car at 2.5 to 4K range.. that is in the droan zone.

BMWDEMON
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:52:58 PM
Your on the right track...good luck!

:beer:

Fastdog911
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 10:19:40 PM
Your on the right track...good luck!

:beer:

Ok. get this.. take the car to the shop, 20 miles.. car is warm.. we put car up on rack, the kind of rack your tires are supported on. Look underneath and the exhaust has now come forward a good 3/4" on its own.. not touching the car at all. We banged the heatsheild back the best we could.. ok so now my exhaust "grows" 3/4" as it gets warm.. but what I dont get is if things expand when heated then why is this happening.. here is a photo taken of it when car is warm.

Rob's Archive
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 01:05:46 AM
hmmm...since its my exhaust on your car dan, Ive never had such an experience before. I wonder if its the difference in T-quality of stainless with the midpipes and the exhaust??

bimmer007
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:40:01 AM
hmmm...since its my exhaust on your car dan, Ive never had such an experience before. I wonder if its the difference in T-quality of stainless with the midpipes and the exhaust??

I agree.. so Dan, maybe you should go back to the stock section 2, and let me pick up that eisenmann midpipe. :thumbsup: