Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Was there a rod bearing recall LETTER?

William
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:27:19 AM
If so, I never recd one. I am a registered new vehicle owner, same address as always. Mine was a sep 02 build.

Work has been done already.

Mike00
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:00:51 AM
I never recieved one either... there are 6 months left on my lease, i have no interest in doing a 1200 mile break-in now.. F them, they can do it when I return the car :chair:

zipperX
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:08:22 AM
If so, I never recd one. I am a registered new vehicle owner, same address as always. Mine was a sep 02 build.

Work has been done already.

i got mine in august and had it done early september. 12/01 build. my roommate just got his letter last week, he has a 2/02 build.

William
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:21:59 AM
I never recieved one either... there are 6 months left on my lease, i have no interest in doing a 1200 mile break-in now.. F them, they can do it when I return the car :chair:

I understand ring seating etc., but do you really have to break in a rod bearing? As usual, when I picked up the car, nobody said nuttin.

I am just driving it like it never happened. So far (when the starter engages) it has behaved just like it never happened.

zipperX
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:28:12 AM
I understand ring seating etc., but do you really have to break in a rod bearing? As usual, when I picked up the car, nobody said nuttin.

I am just driving it like it never happened. So far (when the starter engages) it has behaved just like it never happened.

i know when i got mine the service manager told me about the 1200 mile break in and there was another sticker on my windshield like the first rod bearing recall. i'm surprised no one said anything to you...strange.

William
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:36:51 AM
i know when i got mine the service manager told me about the 1200 mile break in and there was another sticker on my windshield like the first rod bearing recall. i'm surprised no one said anything to you...strange.

I still don't get it. You drop the oil pan, replace 6 bearings, close it up, add oil. What is to break in?

It kills me how inane BMW is. When I picked up my car the salesman told me I could rev the wee out of it because they come "broken in from the factory".
I swear to G-D, that is exactly what this moron told me. Obviously, I work hard for my money, and broke it in nice. But hey, thats top end, valves, rings, etc., Why do you have to break in a bearing?

It sounds like BMW isn't so sure about the quality of these bearings either.

RYANM330CI
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:55:53 AM
BMW NA sent me two!! Even after I already got it done :chair:

zipperX
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:58:11 AM
I still don't get it. You drop the oil pan, replace 6 bearings, close it up, add oil. What is to break in?

It kills me how inane BMW is. When I picked up my car the salesman told me I could rev the wee out of it because they come "broken in from the factory".
I swear to G-D, that is exactly what this moron told me. Obviously, I work hard for my money, and broke it in nice. But hey, thats top end, valves, rings, etc., Why do you have to break in a bearing?

It sounds like BMW isn't so sure about the quality of these bearings either.

i hear ya on doubting the quality of the bearings...i mean two recalls and i heard a rumor (i think on this board) that they weren't convinced they figured out all the problems? i don't know. maybe we'll end up with new bearings every year and half. :nixweiss:

SOURCE1064
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:31:21 AM
I recieved a letter from BMW NA. My friend is the Service Manager where I go and he said that these bearings are the real "fix" to the engine problem. We'll see...knock on wood my car's engine runs like a champ and I redline her everyday.

William
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:50:24 AM
I recieved a letter from BMW NA. My friend is the Service Manager where I go and he said that these bearings are the real "fix" to the engine problem. We'll see...knock on wood my car's engine runs like a champ and I redline her everyday.

Charlie - your lic plate is hilarious. you are a neighbor, I am in Glen Rock.

SOURCE1064
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 03:23:20 AM
Charlie - your lic plate is hilarious. you are a neighbor, I am in Glen Rock.

Sweet we should meet up sometime. I live in Paramus and work here too. Are you going to the meet at Ikea on Sunday? When it gets warmer you should come to some Club 333+ meets too. :thumbsup:

Jesh
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 04:41:18 PM
I never received a letter either :(