Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : heard a "clunk" in the rear (now i'm paranoid)

bender73
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:31:45 PM
just got my car back from the bodyshop...amongst other things it had rear suspension work done

got it friday and then we had a blizzard with like ~15-20" of snow and now its very cold outside and slushy

twice today, after getting back into my car and starting to move, i heard a loud "clunk" in the rear of the car

i have no idea what to do as it only happened twice and the car drives fine

i wanna attribute it to the cold and built up snow in the wheels/wheel wells

i guess i could bring it back to the shop but i figure if something broke then the car would not drive well

thoughts?

BMW F1
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:34:30 PM
Have no idea what it is, but if its Life Time Warranty out of the place you got the M fixed, I would be back there, something may have come loose or cracked. See how you go in the next few days and try and pinpoint the sound if you can.
Let us know how you go.
All the best.
Adam.

Rev8k
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:38:50 PM
Was rear ended 3 months ago and had suspension damage. Same clunk you have. Turned out to be the control arm and shock absorber was loose in the rubber mount.

klangford
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:21:41 PM
twice today, after getting back into my car and starting to move, i heard a loud "clunk" in the rear of the car...thoughts?

Did you check the trunk for a body? :D

DaBean
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:51:11 PM
what kind of "clunk" was it?? Like, something rolling around in the trunk? or metal on metal? or something more baffled like a rubber mallet hiting a wood table sound.?? Also, where from the back.. Did you identify the direction? center, side, low, high?
Just trying to get a more specific idea, as it could be a lot of things....

bender73
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:06:13 AM
it was like i was trying to move and the e-brake was engaged...but it wasn't

then, after a little resistence i heard a muffled (but hard) clunk and then the car rolled easy

...almost like something was caught and then let loose

3 times thus far

SLVRBLTM3
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:27:59 AM
I sometimes have had the same problem - usually after I ahve washed the car and put the E-brake on. Get int he car later, release the E-brake try to go in reverse - CLUNK. Then it drives fine. I may have the dealer check it out the next time I bring it in for service.

DaBean
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:36:21 AM
it might be ice that froze over, and then clunks out when you move?

bender73
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:50:11 AM
it might be ice that froze over, and then clunks out when you move?

that's what i am hoping!!!

...but its suspicious happening right after the suspension work that was done

Rev8k
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:55:50 AM
Get that car on a printout alignment machine asap.