Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : blue water modding

:torque:
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:51:30 PM
Hello guys, I am new to this forum, and I would like some opinions on exterior modding the best way you can without ruining the color of the car if you know what i mean. I am serious about tuning, actually I am taking the car to do a dinan S package very soon, but I would like some advice on how to make the exterior look cool, but subtle.

I am thinking tinting the windows, some classy 19's (CSL's), and silver carbon fiber, i think that will make it look nice (rear diffuser and front lip).

I am open to any opinions, and I hope my sig works so you can see the pic of my car.
Paul

gnk2727
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:55:38 PM
Whoa BlueWater M3!!!!! Sig pic works and looks extremely nice !!!!

I had a Bluewater X3 in my Garage over the weekend and I was comparing it to my Silver Gray M3 and I was thinking how cool it would look on an M3.
If you want to make it look really nice, I would get a set of HRE 840 Series Rims. Window tints would look nice, what color tint are you thinking (Black or reflective)???

Sirius
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:01:02 PM
Thats an awesome color. Don't see that too often.

I am not a big fan of CF, although I think the silver CF would look hot.

Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:14:47 PM
thanks for the warm welcome. i drove up next to a blue water x3 and we looked so uniform together.
i would get a black tint, and i am not much for the cf myself either, but i think just a little in silver wouldn't hurt at all.
I love hre's but if i am going to spend that much on wheels i like the iforged line.

sy0296
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:20:19 PM
my new favorite color! I'm not sure if silver would look good on that blue water, i'd almost want to say you should leave it alone...Some 19s would definitely dress if up as well as a light tint and a drop (springs, coilovers, whatever). still can't get over how hot that color is!

ArtM3
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:32:02 PM
great color...first I've seen it, don't do too much, the color speaks for itself:

the CSL wheels would look nice

a little lowering would look nice

besides that, I'm not sure

maybe the Hamann front spoiler painted to match, IMO it's the only one that looks like it could have come from the factory, you can get a replica off Ebay for ~$300 or less

gnk2727
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:41:50 PM
I forgot to say: "Welcome to the Forum" !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, judging by the way you responded to my ??'s. You seem to know what you want for your car. It's always nice to get an opinion, but it's what you like that matters most.

The CSL rims would look nice on your car, but since your car is not an everday color that you see on an M3, I suggested to get HRE's to keep the individual look going. Iforged are nice too IMO.

As far as the Performace Stuff goes, I personally would never buy Dinan. It's a waste of money. You can do a search on that and see for yourself. It also doesnt hurt that all of the fastest M3's are hooked up with parts other than Dinan. This is only my opinion, you can put whatever parts on your car that you want.

Doctor Love
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:53:12 PM
To maintain the clean and classy look, I'd really recommend having any body panels/lips/spoilers painted to match that color. It's a cool unique color so I wouldn't put any CF pieces on there to distract from it. IMHO when people go overboard on unpainted CF it really cheapens the look of the car.

MadMacs
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:58:11 PM
The color looks fantastic.
I'd say the only "sore thumb" is the chrome (kidney grilles) - although I'm not sure that just getting black there would do it. That color just doesn't seem to need chrome at all.
Again, great color!!

Edit:
I had to look again, but it looks like you've taken care of the amber turn signals, right?

نسيم هودج
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 06:32:05 PM
Beautiful ride! I love Blue water. Very nice color. Add some nice wheels and maybe a very light tint job and you'll have yourself a very respectable ride. Keep it classy and welcolme to the boards.

Naseem

daytonaviolet
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 06:39:49 PM
ohh yes.... a blue water CSL look would be awesome and original..

Mon, Jan-24-2005, 06:49:26 PM
I also am questioning myself about the silver carbon fiber, if i do it, it will be towards the end, and it wont be much at all.
I have thought about the chrome grill and I think that needs to stay how it is, black would look horrible, maybe painting the rim of the grill blue water, and leaving the inside chrome. I love the reflectors i put on it a little while ago, so maybe painting everything blue water would be the way to go.

I like Dinan and i know how much everything is, but i want to keep the warranty and I talked to a guy at watkins glen who has a s2m3 and I got hooked on it.

The car almost needs new tires, and when that occurs, it will be the time for rim shopping, i have some ideas, except that when I put 19's on, I dont know what the best suspension companies are so I dont have any wheel gap. I hear the names h&r and eibach floating around. Any others that drop the car in a clean way?

Doctor Love
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 07:47:56 PM
I think it would look sharp if you had some mild tint with just the slightest hint of metallic sheen to it. Not too strong or it'll look cheap, but just a little bit would set off the whole Blue Water theme. I think the chrome grill looks fine, chrome actually looks nice with a color that light, it's when you have a dark color car with too much chrome that it begins to look nasty imho. I'd definitely say 19" rims would look good, just take your time and look at a lot of rims and find some that really set the whole thing off. In the end I think you'll have a really unique, eye-catching ride that maintains the class of a bimmer.

nrubenstein
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 07:54:04 PM
If you're serious about performance, don't get Dinan. They're overpriced and oriented towards the businessman who wants a somewhat better handling car, but doesn't want to deal with, say, a real suspension. Dinan uses (supposedly) custom valved single-adjustable Koni shocks and Eibach springs, a tiny little front sway bar, and wimpy non-adjustable camber plates. It is NOT a performance solution if you care about that.

Divexxtreme
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 07:59:39 PM
Beautiful car! Very nice color.

My opinion on mods:

-19" iForged wheels with 275 rear and 255 fronts: DON'T the get the CSL wheels because *unfortunately* due to the ZCP M3's that are being ordered (like mine), as well as group buys on this board and others they will soon be everywhere and you'll be wishing you got something different (like I am now).

-Coil-Over: Anything *other* than Dinan since Dinan will only lower your car 3/4" of an inch which isn't enough. I'd recommend GC or Bilstien and lower the car 1.25" in the rear and 1" in the front. It looks VERY good at this height and isn't too low. Plus, it will improve your handling significantly.

Also, using Dinan doesn't keep your factory warranty. They simply provide one in place of the factory warranty. Just like GC and Bilstien does. There is no benefit in going with Dinan.

These 2 mods alone will transform your beautiful car into a literal "jaw-dropper".

P.S. - Here's what your car would look like with HRE's:

Euphoria///M
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 08:05:47 PM
I wouldnt recommend any tint. The car looks perfect the way it is, really. Exterior mods, if done tastefully, will be awesome, but something looking out of place will ruin the car. I say just get the CSL rims, the front bumper, and the boot lid. Any other things, including DARK tint, will make it look out of place.

pride355
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 09:05:55 PM
Beautiful car! Very nice color.

These 2 mods alone will transform your beautiful car into a literal "jaw-dropper".

P.S. - Here's what your car would look like with HRE's:

This is Wayne's car. I used to have a 03 M3 coupe in bluewater and my car had identical built day with Wayne's car. However, I returned back my car to dealer when I realised that the car was repainted.
It was a very nice color and I loved it very much. I saw my old car a week ago and it still look brilliant.

If you ask me, I would put 35% black tint and go for CSL rims. The new owner of my old bluewater M3 put roof spoiler on the car but I didn't like it much.

Good luck with the car.. :beer: :beer:

G-MAN
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 09:29:45 PM
ok well i dont drive a m3 but i have a idea of what i would do if i had your car. i would slap on some csl front splitters colour matched and blueish tints if any like the mercedes have. then some hre's or iforged rims with a brushed aluminum face with a polished lip. i would lower it with KW V2's or V3's and performance mods i wouldnt even go there cuz when u start u will never stop and the gains r minimal for giving up a warranty.

RYANM330CI
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:00:51 AM
Very nice color I have never seen that color in person, CSL wheels would look very nice on your car but Dinan :nixweiss: btw Welcome to the forum :wave:

keiphers
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:05:37 AM
I say CSL style front bumper, CSL style trunklid, and CSL style rear diffuser (keeping carbon fiber to a minimum - i.e. only on splitters and middle of rear diffuser). As for the rims, either Volk TE-37 or CSL style. That'd look way smooth. Oh yeah and forgot Dinan - AA S/C all the way.

cowboy bebop
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 04:52:29 AM
this is what it would look like with CSL (these are RG-4's) style wheels in 19".
My car is Silverstone though :thumbsup:

FYI - tint is 20 rear and 35 front.

gnk2727
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:07:20 PM
Cowboy Bebop, I absolutely love your car. Silverstone is one of the best looking and unique colors on an M3. Not to take anything away from Bluewater though.

Tue, Jan-25-2005, 09:54:05 PM
is it possilbe to get the csl rear diffuser painted in your body color or would it be best to leave it black? and what is the benefit of have one besides looks?

ArtM3
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 09:56:25 PM
you can get the outside painted, and leave the center carbon fiber, that's how they come from the factory

basically looks, small aero improvement

M3Monk
Tue, Mar-08-2005, 04:13:40 AM
If you're serious about performance, don't get Dinan. They're overpriced and oriented towards the businessman who wants a somewhat better handling car, but doesn't want to deal with, say, a real suspension. Dinan uses (supposedly) custom valved single-adjustable Koni shocks and Eibach springs, a tiny little front sway bar, and wimpy non-adjustable camber plates. It is NOT a performance solution if you care about that.

Nick, I was intrigued by your description of Dinan S2 M3. How would you describe the difference between "somewhat better handling" and "real performance'? Is it the difference between someone who wants to track the M3 vs someone who wants a better handling daily driver?
I'm interested in the Dinan as well primarily it has a good reputation (which we are all willing to pay for considering this is a BMW forum) and they put together a package that seems to work well together. I'm leary of piece meal mods that never really perform in sync with each other. I also don't what to create a vehicle that is designed to do what I will never do on the public roadways.

Argonaut
Tue, Mar-08-2005, 04:56:09 AM
I like Dinan and i know how much everything is, but i want to keep the warranty and I talked to a guy at watkins glen who has a s2m3 and I got hooked on it.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: Bwahahahaha Dinan warranty... hahahahaha

Azpinator
Tue, Mar-08-2005, 12:38:35 PM
hmm!! sweet ride.....

post photos after the mods..

Fastdog911
Tue, Mar-08-2005, 12:50:00 PM
what about a silver tint but light?