Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : dsc question

diogenes
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:01:18 PM
I shut off DSC to try to negotiate a snowy parking lot and now I can't get it to come back on. Even if I shut the car off and restart, it comes back with DSC off. Am I forgetting something, or do I have a problem?

E90_GEN
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:05:31 PM
Go and reset your car to its defualts setting. I think if you call your dealer, they will tell you how to do it. It might have just froze up a bit. Maybe even turning it off for a while then turning it on and trying it might work. Call the DEALER, its monday they got nothing to do but to answer your.

DaBean
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:23:01 PM
How did you turn it off in the first place? Did you hold the button for a long time, or just push it once?

That's somewhat dangerous if you are driving on snow infested roads...

Beowoulf
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:30:01 PM
Try disconnecting the battery for about 20-30 minutes to see if it will reset.

diogenes
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:31:52 PM
Thanks guys.

hpimola
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 06:04:38 PM
on some cars if the temp drops below a certain range, you cant disengage the DSC. safety precaution for slippery conditions.

DaBean
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 06:29:32 PM
how low?? I've disengaged at 10F...

mickstobes
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 06:42:03 PM
I shut off DSC to try to negotiate a snowy parking lot and now I can't get it to come back on. Even if I shut the car off and restart, it comes back with DSC off. Am I forgetting something, or do I have a problem?

Don't shut off DSC in the snow. Dynamic STABILITY Control. It helps you in the snow. Slippery times are when you need DSC the most.

flabmaster
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 08:04:59 PM
Beowulf's right, disconnect the battery for about half an hour. Let us know if that solved your problem.
on some cars if the temp drops below a certain range, you cant disengage the DSC. safety precaution for slippery conditions.
I agree with Fabien, I've shut the M3's DSC off in 5 degrees F and the e39 530's has been shut off in -3 deg F (-13 windchill).
Don't shut off DSC in the snow. Dynamic STABILITY Control. It helps you in the snow. Slippery times are when you need DSC the most.
Well, there are a few excusable instances. DSC can make navigating a parking lot rather difficult as in his case, although I never shut it off on main thorofares. I do shut it off occassionaly in emptly parking lots at about 2:30am for a little practice. Big, snow filled empty lots are the best for practicing brake feel and oversteer recovery since the speeds are so much lower and there's no little risk of burning up your tires - and yes I do thoroughly warm up the engine and drivetrain for about an hour before doing any of that. Not to mention that's just damn good fun :D
-Dave

diogenes
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 08:31:56 PM
I shut off DSC with just a quick press of the button because I was getting zero traction and hence very little tire rotation, and in the parking lot, I was more interested in rotation than stability.

I'm not sure about the temperature theory, at least as a design feature. It was 14 F when I shut it off last night and 2 F this morning when it wouldn't come on (the car was outside), and while low temperature seems like a good theory on why it wouldn't let you turn it off if it was a design feature, it doesn't seem like it's a reason it wouldn't let you turn it back on.

This afternoon, at 18 F, it didn't come on when I started the car (the ABS light also came on), but after driving for about 200 yards, both lights went off. Maybe the car was just too damn cold.

nrubenstein
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 08:44:51 PM
Thank God that's not the case here. DSC can be INCREDIBLY dangerous.