Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Dyno Run This past Saturday, 1/22/05..

BMRSEB
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 02:10:21 PM
This was this past Saturday and it was a lot of fun. Never dyno'd any of my vehicles before, so I was looking forward to it.. :)

Here's my run..(the highest #'s of course.:) ) I figure, if I ran a couple more runs, I would have been at 280 rwhp even and maybe 240 torque. :stickoutt

278 rwhp
234 torque

My car is completely bone stock. Overall, I am pretty pleased with it, since I am running anywhere between 5 - 16 HP between a lightly modded E46 M3 (Dinan software/CAI, exhaust, pulleys) and a fully modified E46 M3 (Dinan Stg. 3, full catback exhaust, cats, euro headers, gears), respectfully. :D Sorry MarkB and Ced, had to rub it in, j/k.:D

All in all, it was fun, and Ced your car is MONSTER. Too bad the ground was wet and we couldn't hook it up for some fierce runs.:)

And yes, I know the numbers will vary from day-to-day but on that day Saturday Jan., 22, 2005, I was and am very happy with my stocker!:redspot

I figure with the upcoming K&N intake (~12-15rwhp) and an exhaust I should be ~300rwhp. ;)

http://members.roadfly.org/bmr525/Dyno2.jpg :thumbsup:

Divexxtreme
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 02:20:16 PM
Nice runs, bro. For this weather with the temp's being nice and low (20's to 50's in Atlanta), and the air being very dense...you're right where you should be.

Out of curiosity, what #'s did Ced and MarkB run?

MattMan
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 02:27:38 PM
That's a solid base!
Since you are stock, how did you DYNO to redline? Any issues? What type of DYNO?

Are you also saying CED got 278+16= 294RHWP? I would have expected alot more.

BMRSEB
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 02:28:16 PM
Nice runs, bro. For this weather with the temp's being nice and low (20's to 50's in Atlanta), and the air being very dense...you're right where you should be.

Out of curiosity, what #'s did Ced and MarkB run?
I think Ced's highest numbers were 295.? rwhp, and MarkB's 283(?) rwhp? I don't remember their torque numbers though. I am sure Ced will chime in sometime today with the actual #'s.. :thumbsup:

BMRSEB
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 02:33:45 PM
That's a solid base!
Since you are stock, how did you DYNO to redline? Any issues? What type of DYNO?

Are you also saying CED got 278+16= 294RHWP? I would have expected alot more.
As far as getting the car to dyno to redline, we had to use the "damn the M engineers" routine :). With Ced's, yeah, we all expected a bit more esp., with the Euro headers et al. But, I won't speak/write for him, I am sure there's an explanation:peace:.

Dyno Sequence for E46 M3 (by Active Autowerk)

1. Allow car to warm up

2. Strap car onto dyno

3. Start car, push DSC once so light is illuminated

4. Run car to 6k in gear

5. Shut engine off but do not remove key, go to position 1 with key

6. Turn key to position 2

7. Press DSC button for 20 seconds

8. Release DSC

9. Start car by turning key from position 2 (the same place you left it from step 6) to starting position 3

10. Press Sport button and begin to dyno car.:peace:

BMRSEB
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 02:37:38 PM
What type of DYNO?
I believe it was a DynoJet..

Nixlimited
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 02:42:35 PM
As far as getting the car to dyno to redline, we had to use the "damn the M engineers" routine :). With Ced's, yeah, we all expected a bit more esp., with the Euro headers et al. But, I won't speak/write for him, I am sure there's an explanation:peace:.

Dyno Sequence for E46 M3 (by Active Autowerk)

1. Allow car to warm up

2. Strap car onto dyno

3. Start car, push DSC once so light is illuminated

4. Run car to 6k in gear

5. Shut engine off but do not remove key, go to position 1 with key

6. Turn key to position 2

7. Press DSC button for 20 seconds

8. Release DSC

9. Start car by turning key from position 2 (the same place you left it from step 6) to starting position 3

10. Press Sport button and begin to dyno car.:peace:

What year is your car?

BMRSEB
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 02:48:40 PM
What year is your car?
2002, 10/01 build.

Divexxtreme
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 02:52:17 PM
Ahh, makes sense. The trick you listed above won't work the newer cars (2003.5 +). At least none that I'm aware of.

BMRSEB
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 02:58:44 PM
Ahh, makes sense. The trick you listed above won't work on the newer cars (2003.5 +). At least none that I'm aware of.
Well, then that shd., put Ced's at 310 rwhp (corrected)!:beer::D.

MattMan
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 03:25:03 PM
He would have a point if not for the stock run at 278RWHP which is slightly above normal.

BMRSEB: What type of FAN did they use? speed mph?

BMRSEB
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 03:33:37 PM
He would have a point if not for the stock run at 278RWHP which is slightly above normal.

BMRSEB: What type of FAN did they use? speed mph?
MGOBLUE, I don't know the type of fan or speed? Here is their website (http://shoppeachtreecity.com/allspeed/), I am sure they can tell you over the phone the fan specs :thumbsup:.

navm3
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 03:43:58 PM
2002, 10/01 build.

Excellent numbers. My Imola Red is also 2002, 10/01 build.

Nixlimited
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 03:57:45 PM
Ahh, makes sense. The trick you listed above won't work the newer cars (2003.5 +). At least none that I'm aware of.

My car is a MY03 10/02 build and it wouldn't work the last time we tried it :banghead:

MattMan
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:11:13 PM
My car is a MY03 10/02 build and it wouldn't work the last time we tried it :banghead:

did you get your bearings replaced recently?

NoSoup4U
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:13:29 PM
I think Ced's numbers are right on for where he should be at. I posted in that thread; but, I think he relies and reads too many magazines :chair: :D

He's a too rich; but, he's using Dinan's software which is typically way too rich. I know for people that bought dinan's supercharger for the E36, merely changing out the software yielded almost 20-30 more rwhp. And, the new software was not that aggressive either, it's just Dinan writes their software to be super rich. I would like to see Ced's plugs and the rear tips of his exhaust :D

If he went with eurobahn or powerchip software, I think he would easily see about 310-320 rwhp with his mods.

gnk2727
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:21:35 PM
Interesting, where did you hear or see that?

I think Ced's numbers are right on for where he should be at. I posted in that thread; but, I think he relies and reads too many magazines :chair: :D

He's a too rich; but, he's using Dinan's software which is typically way too rich. I know for people that bought dinan's supercharger for the E36, merely changing out the software yielded almost 20-30 more rwhp. And, the new software was not that aggressive either, it's just Dinan writes their software to be super rich. I would like to see Ced's plugs and the rear tips of his exhaust :D

If he went with eurobahn or powerchip software, I think he would easily see about 310-320 rwhp with his mods.

Divexxtreme
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:25:50 PM
A lot of the M5 guys that have Dinan S2's are getting very significant jumps in power when going to Powerchips software instead of Dinan. The Dinan software seems to be the main problem.

Interesting, where did you hear or see that?

gnk2727
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:28:02 PM
Are you saying that Dinan products do make power? It's just the software that's limiting the performance gains?

*EDIT*

When I say make power, I mean that it can make the power that Dinan claims it can.

A lot of the M5 guys that have Dinan S2's are getting very significant jumps in power when going to Powerchips software instead of Dinan. The Dinan software seems to be the main problem.

Divexxtreme
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:32:31 PM
I'm not saying that for sure. I'm saying that at least on the M5, th products work pretty well as long as you use different software. But even with the different software, no one is getting the numbers Dinan claims (470hp). But they're a lot closer than they were using the Dinan software.

The M5's with the most N/A power aren't Dinan cars though. They have mix and match items like alot of us M3 owners do.

How this will apply to the M3..I can't say for sure. But I think No Soup makes a valid point that with different software..there's a good chance his mods will work better than they are right now at least.

But no..I still don't think it'll make the power they claim...regardless of the brand of software used.

Beowoulf
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:36:05 PM
Ah, our old friend Ced. Too bad he doesn't come around anymore. I miss our little :smiley_ab sessions.

gnk2727
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:40:02 PM
Alright. I just wanted to see that nothing changed!

Beowoulf just post over there and coax him into posting over here...........

Beowoulf
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:45:28 PM
Alright. I just wanted to see that nothing changed!

Beowoulf just post over there and coax him into posting over here...........
I can not torment my old friend Ced any longer. I have turned over a new leaf and wish to only spread joy and happiness. :peace:

gnk2727
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:50:12 PM
:rofl2: :rofl2: :bs: :rofl2: :rofl2: :bs:

I can not torment my old friend Ced any longer. I have turned over a new leaf and wish to only spread joy and happiness. :peace:

NoSoup4U
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:59:59 PM
Grimm -

I am just speaking from my experience with FI BMW's. People that purchased the FI E36 Dinan package would get around 20-30 more rwhp with aftermarket software from AA or Nick G. Dinan typically writes their software to have an afr of around 10.5, which is what Ced is showing. An afr of 11.5 or even leaner, to 12.5 -- should yield about 10-15 rwhp, at minimum. Being richer is not necessarily a good thing as Ced indicates.

Typically, you do want a richer AFR to achieve lower EGT's -- however, that is for a FI car and not a NA one. You have much higher temps. with FI than NA. Thus, I think his argument does not apply. The whole argument re: timing retardation, fuel maps, etc ... not really on point by Ced. The AFR's will dictate timing, fuel maps, etc ... b/c the lambda control of the ECU will dictate how these maps/timing goes about things. Being too rich, it's robbing him of power.

Thus, I do believe Dinan sells good equipment that yields significant power gains. They play it safe though ... by using s/w that is very, very conservative.

gnk2727
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 06:13:30 PM
Great Write Up Nosoup!!!

NoSoup4U
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 06:38:52 PM
Great Write Up Nosoup!!!

Did you say something? I was looking at your Avatar :agree: :thumbsup:

gnk2727
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 06:39:55 PM
:offtopic:

I know, Sung Hi Lee is one sexy lady........... :thumbsup:

Did you say something? I was looking at your Avatar :agree: :thumbsup:

smg kid
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 06:58:57 PM
what octane fuel is out in georgia? i assume its about 94 octane?

Daver
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 07:06:58 PM
The part I don't get in that thread is where he continually points out that he doesn't know anything about his engine and yet puts down everyone else saying "The E46 M3 engine is complicated". He's simply not qualified to judge anyone else's knowledge.

Yet he trusts "some random tuner that remains unnamed" absolutely even though he has no real information about anything that was done or tried or why.

"OK"

-Daver

Ced
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 09:56:43 PM
The part I don't get in that thread is where he continually points out that he doesn't know anything about his engine and yet puts down everyone else saying "The E46 M3 engine is complicated". He's simply not qualified to judge anyone else's knowledge.

Yet he trusts "some random tuner that remains unnamed" absolutely even though he has no real information about anything that was done or tried or why.

"OK"

-Daver

huh? what?

Ced
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 09:59:33 PM
:chair: :ha: :ha:

ArtM3
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 10:21:41 PM
Ced, howdy man, what were your numbers? 295 or 315 ?

snook
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 10:21:48 PM
what's a pose?

ArtM3
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 10:22:42 PM
what's a pose?

he meant posse', but who cares, let's talk cars and not sh!t :peace:

snook
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 10:26:38 PM
he meant posse', but who cares, let's talk cars and not sh!t :peace:

peace...

snook
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 10:27:56 PM

**** Pelotas Beowoulf :-)

ArtM3
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 10:50:04 PM
OK let me get this straight:

CED dyno'ed ~295 rwhp, estimating ~17.5% losses from the other guys stock run, this equates to ~360 at the engine

it appears that if he leaned it out a little, he could pick up ~10 hp, but why take chances with the motor, it's high compression, who knows the gas quality, etc.

a 27 hp gain ain't bad, the euro cars only get ~5 more with better headers & cats

getting power out of these things is not easy, they are pretty highly tuned to start with

gnk2727
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 10:56:47 PM
Let the games begin. We havent had fun like this in a long time.

Ced
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 10:59:05 PM
OK let me get this straight:

CED dyno'ed ~295 rwhp, estimating ~17.5% losses from the other guys stock run, this equates to ~360 at the engine

it appears that if he leaned it out a little, he could pick up ~10 hp, but why take chances with the motor, it's high compression, who knows the gas quality, etc.

a 27 hp gain ain't bad, the euro cars only get ~5 more with better headers & cats

getting power out of these things is not easy, they are pretty highly tuned to start with

and that's on the dyno machine almost the same before the header cats install; however, there is a significant gain in power after the header/ cats install...it all boils down to the dyno and the M3 electronics... that's what the thread was about...no excuses are being made....I've track this car and I drive my car; so, I know my car pretty well.

snook
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:01:36 PM
i don't see why this is all a surprise.....its been said all along, that headers, cats/no cats, connect pipe and muffler of choice.....will get ya about 20-30 hp.....this isn't anything new...

gnk2727
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:05:38 PM
Ced, we miss having these wonderful conversations with you. You must come back and visit more often. No one is TRYING to rag on you or your MODS. Here's what to do if you don't like everyone pointing their finger at you:

1. Take your car to the 1/4 mile dragstrip.
2. Pay the $25 entrance fee.
3. Fill up 3 Gallons Race Gas @ $5 for 103 Octane.
4. Drive up to the staging area.
5. Drive up to line and get ready to run.
6. Drive down the 1/4 mile as fast as you can.
7. You may only want to wear underwear as your clothes may slow you down.
8. Pick up Timeslip.
9. Drive Home.
10. Scan Timeslip.
11. Upload Timeslip to M3forum.com
12. Create a thread about how fast your car went.
13. If car drove low 12's jump up and down and say I told you so.
14. If car drove low 13's take what's coming to ya.

:beer:

and that's on the dyno machine almost the same before the header cats install; however, there is a significant gain in power after the header/ cats install...it all boils down to the dyno and the M3 electronics... that's what the thread was about...no excuses are being made....I've track this car and I drive my car; so, I know my car pretty well.

Guys that get off on numbers only, may not be happy, with the dyno numbers, but I understand what the article says about dynoing, first hand.

It's funny how people want to see you fail, and get off on that. What has really happened to all the good people in the world, like you Art? :bow:

Ced
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:07:15 PM
To get more power, Ced. Same reason you decided to buy something other than Dinan for your car (Euro Headers/Larini cats). Unfortunately, it seems it didn't work too well for you (*cough*...295 rwhp).

Oh..and Dyno sheets (pre and post S/C) will be posted as soon as I get my car back in about 3 weeks or so. I can't dyno past 6,500 RPM right now..and won't be able to until I get different software.

But since you're asking for my dyno sheets..how about you go to the track and post some timeslips? "Real-world" remember, Ced?

Nice pic by the way.:D :thumbsup:

haha...no beef here... I'm really enjoying my upgrades and wouldn't change anything... I'm going to the drags soon, but I may not post anything either because 1) I may be slow, 2) inexperienced, or simply because 3) someone will try to find something wrong with the numbers and start a flame :D
I have several friends that say they will not post, because people are so mean in the forums. It's a bad spirit that can get on you when you are just a BMW enthusiast, enjoying the drive. There is so much confusion in the world...I try to have fun replying to threads but people really do have issues that's more than I can handle.

Grimm333
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:07:36 PM
who cares about dyno's....too many factors come into play with calibration of the dyno...so your car is making somewhere in the range of 295rwhp...

What is your track time...i recall you being a moderator of the Track section for a reason too. Real world data backed up by real world results...until then your 295rwhp doesn't really state anything except you gained X amount of power from your mods...

What is your average lap time...what is your 1/4 mi run/trap speed...whats yours 0-60...0-100......60-0.....100-0....and 0-100-0...

snook
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:13:09 PM
Its Pressurized!

Ced
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:13:20 PM
Ced, we miss having these wonderful conversations with you. You must come back and visit more often. No one is TRYING to rag on you or your MODS. Here's what to do if you don't like everyone pointing their finger at you:

1. Take your car to the 1/4 mile dragstrip.
2. Pay the $25 entrance fee.
3. Fill up 3 Gallons Race Gas @ $5 for 103 Octane.
4. Drive up to the staging area.
5. Drive up to line and get ready to run.
6. Drive down the 1/4 mile as fast as you can.
7. You may only want to wear underwear as your clothes may slow you down.
8. Pick up Timeslip.
9. Drive Home.
10. Scan Timeslip.
11. Upload Timeslip to M3forum.com
12. Create a thread about how fast your car went.
13. If car drove low 12's jump up and down and say I told you so.
14. If car drove low 13's take what's coming to ya.

:beer:

as I get older, I realize that I really have nothing to prove versus the mindset of a lot of people. I'm beginning to identify things that aren't positive causing me to move forward more readily- so that I can be above certain things and continue to grow.

Ced
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:16:13 PM
who cares about dyno's....too many factors come into play with calibration of the dyno...so your car is making somewhere in the range of 295rwhp...

What is your track time...i recall you being a moderator of the Track section for a reason too. Real world data backed up by real world results...until then your 295rwhp doesn't really state anything except you gained X amount of power from your mods...

What is your average lap time...what is your 1/4 mi run/trap speed...whats yours 0-60...0-100......60-0.....100-0....and 0-100-0...

yep... that's a lot of good practice and fun with the lap times, which is what it is all about... I think if our goals are to maximize on numbers and forget about the drive, is to concentrate on bigger displacement engines.

Divexxtreme
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:17:27 PM
Ced...I challenge you to find one post on this forum where someone has made fun of someone else for their 1/4 mile time and wasn't slammed for it if they did. You ain't gonna find it because it doesn't happen. The only time people get trashed is when they show blind loyalty to a company that never seems to produce results. People on this forum are very nice.

ArtM3
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:20:56 PM
Bottom line is he's happy with the results, it's his money, and he always seems to be defending himself from an on slaught of BS, when all he seems to be doing is sharing some data...

am I missing something, now I don't know Ced, or any of you guys really (although I'd like to), but we all like cars, and in particular fast cars, now this may be the pot calling the kettle black, but this negative BS is getting old....

his car is very nice...has he spent HIS $ as efficiently as possible? who knows? but if value was the primary concern, we'd all be driving Honda's! LOL

now, if the feedback was given in a more positive way, perhaps it would be recieved better...he seems reasonable, and if he heard something that made sense, he'd research it, after all, he wants the same as any of us, a faster car!!!

PS: if that's Ced's picture, this is way outta line...utter BS, nobody should have to put up with that crap over brand loyalty, I mean heck, we all have it for BMW! Besides he looks pretty strong, he could put a hurtin' on some of his antagonizers, but alas, internet immunity....

RYANM330CI
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:25:37 PM

Ced I want to see pics of your exhaust also :rofl2:

Idz21
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:29:08 PM
Friends.......... Countrymen............... DUDES!!

Why must we fight amongst family? As much as the phrase "we're not arguing/fighting" has been said, the posts are still rather immature. Lets go back to making fun of the guy who said he beat an M3 in his S4 auto.

Ced
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:29:53 PM
Bottom line is he's happy with the results, it's his money, and he always seems to be defending himself from an on slaught of BS, when all he seems to be doing is sharing some data...

am I missing something, now I don't know Ced, or any of you guys really (although I'd like to), but we all like cars, and in particular fast cars, now this may be the pot calling the kettle black, but this negative BS is getting old....

his car is very nice...has he spent HIS $ as efficiently as possible? who knows? but if value was the primary concern, we'd all be driving Honda's! LOL

now, if the feedback was given in a more positive way, perhaps it would be recieved better...he seems reasonable, and if he heard something that made sense, he'd research it, after all, he wants the same as any of us, a faster car!!!

:beer: Sharing data is what that was. Of course I knew people would flame that, but I'm so secure with myself, and happy, that I can share any data, whether it's controversal or not... Either you stand for something or nothing...

I so much now understand it much better, as an analogy, when my pastor speaks about being persecuted for believing.

Divexxtreme
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:35:15 PM
Okay...just figured I'd let you know.

Divexxtreme
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:43:38 PM
Okay...time for me to clean this thread up. I'm removing any and all disparaging remarks towards Ced and anyone else. I can see this is only going to get worse if I don't.

Grimm333
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:47:37 PM
I eat M3s for breakfast :tongue:

Divexxtreme
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:58:59 PM
Ced - Putting your and my personal differences aside...why don't you give Powerchips a try on your car? The S2 M5 owners are getting GREAT results with their Dinan hardware by simply swapping out the overly-conservative Dinan software with Powerchips software.

Powerchips offers a money back guarantee (unlike Dinan) and I bet you you'll get a significant boost in power from their software alone. Honestly...what do you have to lose?

Beowoulf
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:01:05 AM
Let the games begin. We havent had fun like this in a long time.
I really miss the good ole days. :cry:

Idz21
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:02:01 AM
Ced - Putting your and my personal differences aside...why don't you give Powerchips a try on your car? The S2 M5 owners are getting GREAT results with their Dinan hardware by simply swapping out the overly-conservative Dinan software with Powerchips software.

Powerchips offers a money back guarantee (unlike Dinan) and I bet you you'll get a significant boost in power from their software alone. Honestly...what do you have to lose?
there we go. Now that was much better. Ced just give it a whirl sir. If it doesn't work, then just return it. :beer:

Ced
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:05:48 AM
there we go. Now that was much better. Ced just give it a whirl sir. If it doesn't work, then just return it. :beer:

:beer: I think everyone should collaborately take up a collection and support this adventure...

Divexxtreme
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:08:04 AM
Looking at your mod list...somehow I think you can afford it just fine on your own.:D

Ced
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:09:12 AM
Looking at your mod list...somehow I think you can afford it just fine on your own.:D

lol...but I'm paying to fix something that's not broken...

Beowoulf
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:09:16 AM
:beer: I think everyone should collaborately take up a collection and support this adventure...
I'll buy it for you if you give me your wheels. :D

BMRSEB
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:09:39 AM
Wow! Talk about a thread gone awry! :chair: I simply posted my numbers and Ced's and you all attack him. We all know we could dyno tomorrow and it'll be different.

C'mon, we sound like a bunch of ricers arguing about who's wing is bigger, better.

Once again, if it was all about pure power we would be driving American Iron or AMG Merc's right? Now, let's just be civil and enjoy our cars.. :peace:

BTW, the previous post about the PowerChips s/w shd., have been posted/suggested 7 pages ago.. :beer:

Ced
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:10:54 AM
I'll buy it for you if you give me your wheels. :D

:chair: Ok I'm tired of this board for right now...I can only take it in small portions... :wave:

ArtM3
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:11:40 AM
you know what's funny? the 2 biggest studs on the block, when it comes to mods, and the quality of their cars, are the ones butting heads, it ought to be the rest of us against you 2!! LOL

Divexxtreme
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:16:19 AM
BTW, the previous post about the PowerChips s/w shd., have been posted/suggested 7 pages ago.. :beer:

It was. Take a look at post #18.

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:17:01 AM
you know what's funny? the 2 biggest studs on the block, when it comes to mods, and the quality of their cars, are the ones butting heads, it ought to be the rest of us against you 2!! LOL

so he who spends the most and has the biggest sig gains stud status.....what happened to the good ol days....learn to drive first....mod last...

EDIT....that was a rhetorical statement by the way....

ArtM3
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:18:45 AM
so he who spends the most and has the biggest sig gains stud status.....what happened to the good ol days....learn to drive first....mod last...

who said they can't drive? :nixweiss:

I know Scott does the strip & Ced road courses...

Divexxtreme
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:18:47 AM
Yep..Steve (Snook) is much bigger stud than me. Especially when it comes to driving ability.:thumbsup:

Divexxtreme
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:19:43 AM
Nothing like Steve, Art. Trust me.:beer:

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:20:28 AM

i've seen the video Artie....that ain't driving.

EDIT...but I do give everyone credit that has taken their car out and put it at risk....

It was a rhetorical statement...not meant to be directed at anyone....

BMRSEB
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:21:21 AM
It was. Take a look at post #18.
Y'know what I mean :roll:.

ArtM3
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:22:04 AM

saw you're edit...be nice :peace:

everybody starts somewhere, and getting on the track and trying is the first step..no?

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:24:32 AM
saw you're edit...be nice :peace:

everybody starts somewhere, and getting on the track and trying is the first step..no?

yes....but starting in stock form, multiple events, multiple runs......that way one knows exactly what they need is the way it should be done.....not the other way around.....

when folks ask "what's the best bang for the buck".......my answer....seat time....followed by rotating mass....

again...rhetorical....

anyway.

ArtM3
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:33:14 AM
yes....but starting in stock form, multiple events, multiple runs......that way one knows exactly what they need is the way it should be done.....not the other way around.....

when folks ask "what's the best bang for the buck".......my answer....seat time....followed by rotating mass....

again...rhetorical....

anyway.

agreed

but people aren't looking for absolute driving skills, they want a hobby and to have some fun, a little mods, some driving schools, etc., not perfection in either...

It's like the martial arts, most do it for excercise, not for absolute survival in CQC

Idz21
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:36:24 AM
Why don't we take a step back for a second and gawk at Art's new sig :D :thumbsup:

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:38:59 AM
Yep..Steve (Snook) is much bigger stud than me. Especially when it comes to driving ability.:thumbsup:

nah, you divers are too modest....skirting death and all with your next breath.

Divexxtreme
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:39:45 AM
And if a real track was closer than 6 hours away to me (that's how far VIR is unfortunately)..I'd be there every weekend. Unfortunately I'm stuck with autocross "parking lots" and dragstrips where I live. :nixweiss:

MattMan
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:44:26 AM
Whoever started this thread.. Great DYNO run again!

sly1types
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:45:06 AM
what gear should you use when you dyno, I know 5th is our 1:1, but i was thinking someone said use 4th?

Kevin

Divexxtreme
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:46:20 AM
4th. 5th produces too much wheelspeed to be safe on the dyno.

snook
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:47:19 AM
And if a real track was closer than 6 hours away to me (that's how far VIR is unfortunately)..I'd be there every weekend. Unfortunately I'm stuck with autocross "parking lots" and dragstrips where I live. :nixweiss:

VA? all this time I thought u were in San Diego.......New front sway coming...i'll let you know....

Divexxtreme
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:50:56 AM
If I was in SD we would have met already. :beer:

hey you
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:27:55 AM
"....learn to drive first...." Scott there are other tracks besides VIR. What part of Virginia are you in.

Daver
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:45:45 AM
huh? what?

hahaha, I guess it doesn't make much sense after Dive deleted his post and editted my quote to his. Go figure.

What I was getting at was in the bimmerforums thread you were saying that their comments regarding afr didn't apply or whatever, but there was no technical data to back that up. In their real world experience your afr was too low.

Maybe their experience was faulty, I dunno. But there was no counter other than "the S54 is complex" is all. The "an engine is just an engine" arguments really did have a lot of merit.

-Daver

Divexxtreme
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:04:33 AM
Please tell me there's a track reasonably close to me.

"....learn to drive first...." Scott there are other tracks besides VIR. What part of Virginia are you in.

Divexxtreme
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:06:01 AM
Sorry about that. Was in a hurry at the time.

hahaha, I guess it doesn't make much sense after Dive deleted his post and editted my quote to his. Go figure..-Daver

Daver
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:14:36 AM
Sorry about that. Was in a hurry at the time.

No harm done. No longer sure it made much difference anyway after re-reading. :peace:

-Daver

Beowoulf
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:33:29 AM
:chair: Ok I'm tired of this board for right now...I can only take it in small portions... :wave:
Was it something I said? I was actually being nice today.

Beowoulf
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:39:33 AM

PS: if that's Ced's picture, this is way outta line...utter BS, nobody should have to put up with that crap over brand loyalty, I mean heck, we all have it for BMW! Besides he looks pretty strong, he could put a hurtin' on some of his antagonizers, but alas, internet immunity....

Art, picking on Ced is nothing new. He is a good guy but he is as stubborn as a mule. He simply will not listen to anyone's ideas or have an open mind. He lives by his own doctrine and that is fine by me since he is not spending my money. I know we pick on him but in our own way we are also trying to help him realize that there are other schools of thought and that one must be open to all if one is to learn.

NME AMG
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:14:06 AM
And that, children, is the end. Guten Nacht!

Zubin.

Ced
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:18:16 AM
Art, picking on Ced is nothing new. He is a good guy but he is as stubborn as a mule. He simply will not listen to anyone's ideas or have an open mind. He lives by his own doctrine and that is fine by me since he is not spending my money. I know we pick on him but in our own way we are also trying to help him realize that there are other schools of thought and that one must be open to all if one is to learn.

haha... :bow:

Ced
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:25:28 AM

EDIT...but I do give everyone credit that has taken their car out and put it at risk....

It was a rhetorical statement...not meant to be directed at anyone....

I don't have a rollcage in my car or experience as you, but I'm glad there are instructors that are humble enough to teach us non-drivers...

We are out there having fun, most importantly, and our skills will improve each time we go out to the track, so it really doesn't make sense to be a track snob because you have a racing license or close to it...

BMRSEB
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:39:24 PM
Whoever started this thread.. Great DYNO run again!
I did, and as I was saying 278 rwhp, 234 tq. (stock) :):beer::peace:

boxed
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:38:41 PM
nice numbers ced.

Ced
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:07:55 PM
nice numbers ced.

Thks. You know my peak numbers were almost identical to last time( before headers/cats) although there's more horspower and torque throughout the band based on my overlapping plots...I expected larger numbers; based on how mean the car is after the header/cats install; the car is totally transformed. However, I'm truely a believer of the article that talk about the advanced electronics of this engine and how it will not show its full potential on a dyno based on how the dyno shop is setup, ie. fans, heat, etc... The car is really impressive and those numbers doesn't even begin to show it real potential; pressing the accelerator is almost like a good massage; it feels real good :D

Ced
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:38:18 PM
Here's another good read. I noticed my A/F ratio on the last run got richer... chkout the explanation...

"A lack of air-flow during dyno testing will almost always alter the fuel mixture in the rich direction as the radiator cannot exchange enough heat, resulting in the computer compensating by retarding timing and richening the fuel mixture to prevent the engine from overheating and detonating. In addition, the intake air sensor will read substantially higher temperatures than that seen on the road with proper airflow."

http://dinancars.com/whitepapersFile.asp?ID=9
http://members.roadfly.com/cbailey781/airfuel_ratio.jpg