Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : 4.10 gears =BAD???

MLINER
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 08:30:29 AM
I wanted to know the ups and downs about 4.10 gears.Is it poor gas mileage?

smg kid
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 08:55:38 AM
im thinking about this setup too. gas mileage you will probably lose for sure. getting a shorter final drive magnifies your tq. and brings all your gears closer together. I dont see why this would have any downsides.. how much does it cost? has anyone tested it on the drags before and after?.. who has the lowest price?

M3@NYC
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 10:04:56 AM
I wanted to know the ups and downs about 4.10 gears.Is it poor gas mileage?

I plan to install the 3.91 gears. It's sort of a compromise I guess between performance and driveability.

dapper83
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 01:25:48 PM
4.10s will slow you down for the 0-60 but drop your times on the 1/4. Short gear cars are much more fun to drive.

Divexxtreme
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 01:31:41 PM
4.10's will make you quicker to 0-60, assuming you don't have to shift to 3rd (which you don't have to when you increase your redline). Not that 0-60 means anything though....

Super Gyros
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 01:37:47 PM
4.10s will slow you down for the 0-60 but drop your times on the 1/4. Short gear cars are much more fun to drive.

Even if this is true unless you are a magazine you shouldnt care... I mean what are the chances that you step on the gas and when you reach 60 you stop accelerating? having to shift at 58 or 62... I dont think it is much of a difference . I have 3.91 and going for 4.10 as soon as I find someone to sell the current gearing in Greece...

akam3
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 03:05:47 PM
I know that 4.10 will give you a significant torque increase. I've driven one that has it.

dapper83
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 03:20:32 PM
Oh i don't care about that but that is how you compare cars these days in magazines...You will have a 3rd gear shift before 60 with stock chip...And you do in my town in nj cause there are cops about every light. But anyway the only racing i enjoy is aroudn the twisties where driving skills and tuning plays a bigger role...

John

Nixlimited
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 03:40:00 PM
Between Scott and Joel, I have been convinced that 4.10s are the way to go.

Super Gyros
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:49:22 PM
Oh i don't care about that but that is how you compare cars these days in magazines...You will have a 3rd gear shift before 60 with stock chip...And you do in my town in nj cause there are cops about every light. But anyway the only racing i enjoy is aroudn the twisties where driving skills and tuning plays a bigger role...

John

Awesome!

gnk2727
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:25:17 PM
4.10's are the best gears IMHO. I have heard nothing but rave reviews by Tec548 and Divexxtreme. 3.91 seems to be the conservative route IMO. 4.10 is the agressive route, but if youre gonna do something in your E46 M3, I can't see a better mod than 4.10 gears!

sy0296
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:36:29 PM
i've also read that if you're gonna be doing gears at all, 4.10 is the way to go. 3.91 is too similar to stock and not worth the $$$ compared to 4.10

gnk2727
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:38:17 PM
Bingo!! You hit it right on the head.

i've also read that if you're gonna be doing gears at all, 4.10 is the way to go. 3.91 is too similar to stock and not worth the $$$ compared to 4.10

fcboarder1
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:42:09 PM
the only thing id be concerned about is how short first gear would be. its really short in stock form and i figure the 410 would make it even more difficult to use in daily driving.

gnk2727
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 05:52:55 PM
Obviously 1st gear would be really short. When you are using your car for daily driving just keep sport mode off and that should alleviate some of that problem. I havent heard of anyone complain about that yet, and most of the people who have 4.10's are using their M3 as a daily driver.

the only thing id be concerned about is how short first gear would be. its really short in stock form and i figure the 410 would make it even more difficult to use in daily driving.

Antwerp
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 06:14:00 PM
Can't think of anything more fun and challenging than a short 1st gear! :D

Also, BTW, Increasing the Redline makes this a great combo, so that you don't have to suffer on your 1/4 times...

ROCKV7
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 06:55:31 PM
I plan on changing to 4.10 gears with the mechanical ramp locking diff due to the fact that you realize a 12% increase on your low end torque. Having weak lowend torque has always been my complaint and this should solve that problem. Now I just have to find a knowlegable shop to install this setup.

speeds5
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:14:33 AM
I'm assuming the 4.10 lowers the top speed also right?

Drifter
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 03:23:44 AM
I'm assuming the 4.10 lowers the top speed also right?

Yes it would, but because the M3 doesn't have that much power (400hp+) our cars have problems getting over 175 because of the air forces that are pushing against your car at that speed. And also where can you get your car up past 150 with out killing someone or going to jail.

And if 1st gear is too much for you, theres always 2nd to start out in.

Fast_car006
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 03:32:46 AM
How important is it to get the mechanical ramp locking diff. How necesarry is this? Wouldn't the regular diff (stock) be up for the job?

ROCKV7
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 04:02:14 AM
How important is it to get the mechanical ramp locking diff. How necesarry is this? Wouldn't the regular diff (stock) be up for the job?
The way Joel explained it to me, the mechanical locking diff on (stock) will eventually fail. When it does, assuming you're still under warranty, the dealer will change the whole diff along with the gears thus wiping out your purchased 4.10 gears.

Divextreme or Joel can you calrify this?

TaZaM3
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 04:03:20 AM
I plan on changing to 4.10 gears with the mechanical ramp locking diff due to the fact that you realize a 12% increase on your low end torque. Having weak lowend torque has always been my complaint and this should solve that problem. Now I just have to find a knowlegable shop to install this setup.

I heard it doesnt give you an increase in anything (V8 Locking Unit). It just stronger so it doesnt fail. :nixweiss:

ROCKV7
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 04:08:27 AM
I heard it doesnt give you an increase in anything (V8 Locking Unit). It just stronger so it doesnt fail. :nixweiss:
That's correct. it just makes it stronger. It's the 4.10 gear that you realize the gain in low end torque. Not added torque as far as overall numbers.

ROCKV7
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 04:07:22 PM
The way Joel explained it to me, the mechanical locking diff on (stock) will eventually fail. When it does, assuming you're still under warranty, the dealer will change the whole diff along with the gears thus wiping out your purchased 4.10 gears.

Divextreme or Joel can you calrify this?
Scott (Divextremme) or Joel (from BHS) can you clarify???

tec548
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 04:56:50 PM
Scott (Divextremme) or Joel (from BHS) can you clarify???

Rock,

The E46M3 comes with the M variable diffential unit stock. This diff unit is very good at what it does but is prone to failure (everyone has heard the stories of "my diff is being changed by the dealer" or "my diff is grinding"... etc...). The E46M3 unit uses an internal oil pump and clutch pack to modulate the power transfer from one wheel or the other. The mode of failure is ususally noticed by the right pilot shaft having significant lateral movement and oil leakage. The mechanical locking diff unit that we install/sell is similar, but not the same, to the diff unit that comes on the M5. This unit is much more robust than the E46 unit and modulates the power transfer mechanically. This new unit will lock up harder and faster than the stock E46 unit... you will notice this the first time you get on the gas in a turn... it takes a bit of getting used to.

The gear set is what you would really notice in terms of day to day driving though.

Joel

ROCKV7
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:13:05 PM
Rock,

The E46M3 comes with the M variable diffential unit stock. This diff unit is very good at what it does but is prone to failure (everyone has heard the stories of "my diff is being changed by the dealer" or "my diff is grinding"... etc...). The E46M3 unit uses an internal oil pump and clutch pack to modulate the power transfer from one wheel or the other. The mode of failure is ususally noticed by the right pilot shaft having significant lateral movement and oil leakage. The mechanical locking diff unit that we install/sell is similar, but not the same, to the diff unit that comes on the M5. This unit is much more robust than the E46 unit and modulates the power transfer mechanically. This new unit will lock up harder and faster than the stock E46 unit... you will notice this the first time you get on the gas in a turn... it takes a bit of getting used to.

The gear set is what you would really notice in terms of day to day driving though.

Joel
Thanks for clearing that up Joel, you explained it to me yesterday and I feel it was good information to share with people in this forum.

Another sponsor that is willing to go the extra mile to help.

sy0296
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:52:17 PM
Rock,

Joel
:banghead: more parts, more $$$

is it true then that is the stock diff fails and the dealer places it under warranty the new gears will be gone with the old diff?

tec548
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:40:35 PM
:banghead: more parts, more $$$

is it true then that is the stock diff fails and the dealer places it under warranty the new gears will be gone with the old diff?

Very unfortunate, but true. The dealer swaps parts, they don't repair anything...

If you have gears in your diff and the diff unit goes your better off replacing the diff unit instead of replacing the diff.

Antwerp
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:48:12 PM
So, Best advice for the $$$ Conscious would be wait for the Stock Diff to Fail (which is expected) then replace it with a better unit! :thumbsup:

ROCKV7
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:10:55 PM
So, Best advice for the $$$ Conscious would be wait for the Stock Diff to Fail (which is expected) then replace it with a better unit! :thumbsup:
If you can afford to have your car idle while waiting for the new diff, I would think so.