Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : SMG reset...

alex77041
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 07:01:44 AM
I just installed some new 17" wheels and 4 Pirelli snow tires! What a difference... AMAZING!!!! :thumbsup:

Anyhow I did reset the tire pressure and the SMG.. but was wondering how do you know if the SMG did reset? :nixweiss:
I pulled both paddles at over 60 km/h in 0 gear..but was wondering if some light should come on or something to let you know that the reset did take place....

Thanks for any help...

04tytaniumsylvr
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 07:11:39 AM
Are you talking about the SMG malfunction indicator light ?

As for the tire pressure indicator light, inflate the tires as specified and hit the button located right by "dsc", weird looking figure on the button, hold it down for 10-15 seconds, start the car, the light should be gone.

Check your owners manual. All the simple sh!t is explained to the fullest content. :thumbsup:

alex77041
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 07:32:13 AM
Thanks Bill,

I did the tire pressure thing. Put the key in 2nd position hold down the tire pressure button, it turned yellow then drove for a while and it went off.. so as far as I know that is fine..

But my question is on the SMG reset ( I believe that is what it is) , where you pull both paddles for a few seconds in 0 gear at above 60 km/h... I did it but was wondering how do you know if it did indeed reset?

Thanks again..

DaBean
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 08:27:11 AM
When I did mine no light came on. I think it just resets it internally. I also remember reading it can reset itself over the course of the next (hundred?) miles... doing it by hand is just a sure way of doing it faster... but no, no light should come on.

alex77041
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 08:30:20 AM
Thanks again,

I would be in deep **** without this forum!!! You guys are sooooooooooo helpfull !!!

Thanks again!!

Kendrick07
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 09:09:30 AM
You can reset your SMG? what does this do? and 0 gear means neutral?

grue
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 10:51:30 AM
last year when i put my snows on and did an smg reset (coasting with paddles in), the reset process cleared out the hill assist. it took the dealer reloading smg s/w to restore the hill assist.

DaBean
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:24:25 PM
last year when i put my snows on and did an smg reset (coasting with paddles in), the reset process cleared out the hill assist. it took the dealer reloading smg s/w to restore the hill assist.

That's odd!!!

I guess that might have been a "pre software update" problem... I've never heard of such issues!

I reset mine, and used hill assist just yesterday!