Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : k&n intake set off my check engine light........

Mpower(E46)
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 09:00:17 PM
so last night i was just crusin in my m3 and i found a part of town where all the streets are empty, and there were a lot of curves. Since i installed my intake last week i wanted to open her up. i hit 140, it was fun as hell. Then a minute later my check engine light comes on. I pull over and pop the hood. somehow the clamp that keeps the intake to the stock tubing came loose. which my intake had completely become dismantled. I put the sucker back on and tightin the clamp with a dime. well now my check engine light wont go off. I listen very carefully and the engine sounds the same, and runs the same. This morning i disconnected the battery, hoping it would make the ecu reset. I turned the car on after waiting 3 minutes with the battery disconnected, and the light stayed on when i turn on my car. So my question is, how can i get the light off my dash?? I have a 2004 model. also i cant take it to a bmw dealer because my car is a lease. I know of an independent shop, but i dont want to go through the trouble.

Sirius
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 09:34:20 PM
You either have to live with it, or get it cleared.

It's probably a fault to do with the maf, since your intake came apart it was getting readings it didn't like.

ArtM3
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 10:13:20 PM
it SHOULD clear after 4 or 5 driving cycles starts & stops > 15 minutes , IRRC

Fastdog911
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 11:57:29 PM
disconnect the lines to the battery and see if that recycles it..

Rated///M
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 12:09:26 AM
Reinstall the stock air box and take it to a dealer. Or take it to a different dealer that won't care so much about mods.

cw
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:46:26 AM
From my CEL experience, it's not going to clear.

Irrenarzt
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 03:33:40 PM
You don't have software do you?

Budman
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 06:32:13 PM
try turning the key to position 2 and leave it there for 30 seconds. This works to clear some lights some times.