Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : oil light came on? why?

FB
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 03:57:29 PM
Hey guys - strange thing happened yesterday...
after a couple of hours of running some errands around town, when i arrived home and turned the car off, the little oil light on the dash between the speedo and tach lights up and stays on.... i turn the car back on, let it idle for a few minutes, and turn it off again, and no oil light this time...
I checked the oil, and it is OK, not low or anything...
i know i'm scheduled for an oil change in the next month or so...

any ideas? has anyone had something similar happen?

M3Pipes
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 04:03:22 PM
Doesn't it matter if it was a yellow light or a red light?

Rev8k
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 04:15:04 PM
Same thing happened to me. Brought it to the dealer and they said the oil level was a little low, so they topped it off.

derryck
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 04:16:48 PM
It will also happen when scheduled maintenance intervals approach (ie. Inspeciton 1, etc.).

FB
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 04:18:26 PM
it was orange...
i have about 2k miles until my next oil service...

should i just add a bit of oil, or just wait?
when i checked it yesterday, it was about half way on the dipstick indicator...

ArtM3
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 04:21:35 PM
Hey guys - strange thing happened yesterday...
after a couple of hours of running some errands around town, when i arrived home and turned the car off, the little oil light on the dash between the speedo and tach lights up and stays on.... i turn the car back on, let it idle for a few minutes, and turn it off again, and no oil light this time...
I checked the oil, and it is OK, not low or anything...
i know i'm scheduled for an oil change in the next month or so...

any ideas? has anyone had something similar happen?

don't sweat it, sometimes it takes a second for the oil to drain back into the pan, you checked it, and was in the middle, you're good to go :thumbsup:

check again, and MAYBE, if it's in the middle add ~ 1/6 th of a bottle and check again...DO NOT OVERFILL!

PS it does not come on to indicate service, only if it's low, yellow when you shutdown, and red when you're running

Rev8k
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 04:24:36 PM
Try checking the level when the engine is cold. I bet it's low.

ArtM3
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 04:27:31 PM
Try checking the level when the engine is cold. I bet it's low.

the proper procedure is to check it 1 minute after shutting the engine off, per a BMW SIB

Rev8k
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 05:04:01 PM
the proper procedure is to check it 1 minute after shutting the engine off, per a BMW SIB
Right, but as I said the oil is low and this should prove it. I already had the exact same problem happen and found the cure, did you?

Sirius
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 05:09:41 PM

On a warm engine too, not a cold or cool engine.

BMW pretty much wants the engine up to operating tempature before you check the oil level. You can get skewd results if you do it other ways.

ArtM3
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 05:29:17 PM
Right, but as I said the oil is low and this should prove it. I already had the exact same problem happen and found the cure, did you?

yes I had the problem, once, I was parked on an incline when it happened, so I checked and it was fine

if you check it when cool, and it's been off a long time, all oil will have drained from the filter, head, etc. back to the sump, the level will appear higher, than if you check with BMW's procedure, i.e., a false reading, you in fact may be low and not know it...

luxautodetail
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 06:46:11 PM
Just thro in a quart to be safe and then when your oil service/inspection comes up everything will be fine again.