Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : ok..is my smg backwards?

Will ZCPM3
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 08:59:19 AM
to use the paddles the car has to be in D mode, and to be automatic it has to be in S mode. i dont think thats right???? :nixweiss:

bm333w
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 09:06:57 AM
you statement confuses me very much hmm. Last time i checked my car didnt have a Dmode, It has an Amode. You can use the paddles whenever you want, as soon as they are used you are automatically switched into sequiental(sp) mode, Hence S mode. Hope this helps :nixweiss:

elken
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 09:18:33 AM
When you see a S to the right in the smgdisplay,then you`re driving in automatic.
When you see a A to the right in the smgdisplay,then you`re driving in sequiental.
As bm333w said you can use the paddles whenever you want.

Will ZCPM3
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 09:20:44 AM
When you see a S in the to the right smgdisplay,then you`re driving in automatic.
When you see a A in the to the right smgdisplay,then you`re driving in sequiental.
As bm333w said you can use the paddles whenever you want.

altho i dont have an A mode... i guess i was confused maybe by the book:

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/13689smgpdf2.JPG

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/13689smgpdf1.JPG

BigGrin
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 01:10:15 PM
Its that number 3 above that confuses people as its the most visible of the A/S symbols but relates to what will *happen* when you move the stick to the right not what you are *currently* in.

I thought that if you were in auto mode you could still use the paddles which would change up or down a gear from what the auto was in and put you into sequential mode (which isn't the best if the auto box is already changing gear itself as it can double up).

BigHat
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 01:24:00 PM
I thought that if you were in auto mode you could still use the paddles which would change up or down a gear from what the auto was in and put you into sequential mode (which isn't the best if the auto box is already changing gear itself as it can double up).

Not a problem. Hitting a paddle while in D or A will put you back to manual shifting. Not going to double up though.

To directly address the earlier comment in error: D is the same is A found in recent model years.

BigGrin
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 01:49:26 PM
Not going to double up though.

I had an experience that made me think it does. I was in A5 in 4th, used the paddle to go down to 3rd but the car went to 2nd and I summised it must have been mid change itself.

Budman
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 03:08:02 PM
Its all confusing in the book, but I guess once you learn it by driving it it gets better.. I can't wait.

Army Chief
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 03:40:34 PM
Take heart: this isn't confusing at all once you've got a week or two of driving the SMG II under your belt. :) There is an initial learning curve, but it soon becomes second-nature.

Chief

M3_shin
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 03:52:44 PM
Yes, really easy to pick up... before you know it, you'll be an expert and not even think about it anymore.

BigGrin
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 03:57:09 PM
Very rewarding too, I can't imagine wanting to go back to an auto or manual on any future car.

DaBean
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 07:20:29 PM
I'm not sure if the question has actually been answered, so here's my shot at it:

In the little display, to the right, you will see either D or S. When you are in Sequential mode, you will see a litte D to the right, because that means that if you tap the lever to the right, you will go into Automatic (Drive) mode. In THAT case, a little S will appear where the little D used to be, and a big D will appear in the lower center.

I understand how it is confusing at first, because, whichever mode you are in, you see a D posted up on the dash. I had the same issue with mine at first, until I figured out how it all worked.

I hope this helps with the confusion...

Daver
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 10:30:02 PM
Also look at arrow 4 in that pic. When you are in Automatic mode a D(or A) will appear in the lower left corner. In Sequential (S) mode, there will be nothing diaplayed in that corner.

-Daver

paso1
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:12:38 PM
Well my '04 has a D when in SMG, and an S when automatic... No "A" anywhere...

BigGrin
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:29:57 PM
D would be drive, which is the auto mode - it's A on some versions of the SMG display (not sure if it varies by region or model year)

S is sequential (manual)

the letter on the right of the display shows what will happen when you move the stick to the right, not what mode you are currently in.

M3@NYC
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:34:25 PM
D (drive) replaces A (auto)

neuralracing
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 08:11:07 PM
I think this happens to allot of us... I was confused at first... :wave:

ahhsheeit
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 08:14:26 PM
As posted before, it does become second nature after a while. In fact, i usually catch myself trying to down shift my truck where there are no paddles. It's a force of habit for me now.

Will ZCPM3
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 09:08:30 PM

exactly. and what im trying to say is that the larger letter on the right says D when im in smg and it changes to S when in auto. also when the larger s is showing on the right the car wont rev past 3000 b4 it shifts thats in s4 mode. :nixweiss:

A3r0pusH
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 09:14:28 PM
why are you driving in automatic :D......whatever you're driving just shift the gear yourself and it'll put you in S mode and you should see the s next to what gear you're in.....

Daver
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:09:12 AM

Yes. My 2002 had A, my 2004 has D. It was changed for 2003 or 2003.5, I forget which.

-Daver

dizzy
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 08:00:11 AM
exactly. and what im trying to say is that the larger letter on the right says D when im in smg and it changes to S when in auto. also when the larger s is showing on the right the car wont rev past 3000 b4 it shifts thats in s4 mode. :nixweiss:

Ignore the letter at the far right. It says what you would be in IF you pushed the knob to the right. Put it out of your mind... Just pay attention to the current gear display (the big #) on the left. If there is a D to the lower right of that, you are in auto, if its blank, you are in manual. It's Item #4 in the diagram on page 67 of the manual... Ignore item #3. If you get confused, just pull a paddle, it'll put you in Manual mode.

-David

Beowoulf
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 08:05:41 AM
Let me make it real simple for you. If the car shifts itself then you are in A or D mode if you hit the rev limiter and there is not shift then you are in the manual mode. ;)