Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Side View Mirror question

Duck360198
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 06:19:02 AM
Just wondering if I'm missing something. Do our mirrors fold or anything? Thye've got a gap between the mirror and the housing attached to the door, but do they move at all?

DaBean
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 06:36:59 AM
yea they fold up at an angle.
The first time they are hard to fold, but after that it gets easier... don't be afraid to use a little force the first time you do it...

MLINER
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 07:05:18 AM
Does this come with a pacakge..or does this come standard?

Army Chief
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 08:14:21 AM
It's a standard feature, but it helps to know how they fold. Using the passenger side mirror as an example, pull on the lower right corner of the mirror housing with your right hand. At the same time, push on the upper left corner of the housing with the heel of your left hand. The mirror will fold but once you see the angle at which it rotates, the whole process will make a lot more sene.

Folding mirrors makes a lot of sense if you have an automatic (brushless) car wash that you trust, or -- as the Europeans do -- to get the mirrors up and out of the way in very tight partking spaces. Since the latter are extremely common in Germany, it isn't at all unusual to fold one or both mirrors when you're leaving the car in tight quarters.

Chief

daytonaviolet
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 08:25:51 AM
yup... all 3 series and m series have the fold up mirror style. i just wish the US spec ones also had the euro auto fold up mirrors as oem.

spartacus700
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 04:39:18 PM
Clock-wise or counter clock-wise ?

yea they fold up at an angle.
The first time they are hard to fold, but after that it gets easier... don't be afraid to use a little force the first time you do it...

Sirius
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 05:12:04 PM
I like to call the mirrors on the M3 and the other E46 coupes 'break-neck' mirrors. The way you fold them up is similar to how you would break someones neck. ;)

Duck360198
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 05:58:18 PM
Clock-wise or counter clock-wise ?

I would love to get the mirrors working so when you would turn the car off or lock the doors (like Daytona said in a PM) they would AUTOMATICALLY fold up. My friend's Mercedes C-230 (I think that's right) does it when you turn off hte car. Real sharp!

Beowoulf
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 06:26:20 PM
Just look at daytona's sig. His mirrors are folded in that pic.

cowboy bebop
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 06:49:16 PM
they rotate inward toward the passanger seat -glass toward glass.
Most Euro mirrors have been that way for years - break-away mirrors - which will fold up when coming in contact with a moving object... or stationary one if you are moving.
Damn narrow roads!

Sirius
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 06:50:44 PM
Hey, at least your mirrors fold up. If someone hits mine they pop off. :banghead:

DaBean
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 07:16:43 PM
Hey, at least your mirrors fold up. If someone hits mine they pop off. :banghead:

E36 don't fold?
That's odd....

slightly OT... anyone know how much the auto fold mirrors cost?

SpecialK
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 08:53:35 PM
In Japan they're motorized. One touch and up they go.

Sirius
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 09:16:04 PM
E36 don't fold?
That's odd....

slightly OT... anyone know how much the auto fold mirrors cost?

Nope, they snap in.