Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : SMG update...quick question

VailM3
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:07:22 AM
Ok i have the M3 in for the SMG recall and after everything was said and done the service guy said that i have to go back to 1200 miles of "break in" for software? It just doesnt sound right or am i missing something. Also how do i remove the "SMG" lettering from under the shifter anyone?

Sirius
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:08:51 AM
Uhhh. You only have to break it in again for the bearing recall.
Maybe he was thinking that the car may need to readapt to your driving.

I think the SMG is just a sticker.. try prying it up; carefully.

flabmaster
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:09:19 AM
There shouldn't be a breakin for the software. The software will auto adjust itself to your driving style over the next week or so, but it shouldn't need breaking in. Perhaps they did the engine recall simultaneous with the SMG recall and didn't tell you?
If you want to get rid of the logo try prying it up with a string of dental floss. Grab both ends of the floss, and place the floss so that the lettering is in the center, then try sliding the floss under it. If that doesn't work, try using a hairdryer to heat up the adhesive and loosen it.
-Dave
Edit: Damn trevor - you're fast - I got beat, sorry for the redundancy.

DaBean
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:09:26 AM
No... I've never heard of a SMG break-in...
That's just dumb
I floored it out of the dealership (he did the upgrade at my 1,200 mile service)...

Divexxtreme
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:09:27 AM
"Break-in" for software? Either this guy is completely incompetent (or retarded), or they performed the rod/bearing recall without your knowing it. There is no break-in for the SMG update.

DaBean
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:10:59 AM
(lol.. that was like, 3 answers in a minute, plus trevor's)

socal pete
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:15:23 AM
I just had my done today and the service advisor didn't say anything about a break-in period.

Sirius
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:29:20 AM
Because the guy who told Vali that has no flipin idea what hes talking about.

VailM3
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 04:03:06 AM
Hmm, got to check the notes on the work this last time but I had the rod bearing recall done this last fall well ove 1200 miles ago. Doubt they are that stupid to have done it agian, since he asked me first off " Have you had your M3 in for the rod bearing recall?" Anyway it wasnt the guy that I delt with when I dropped it off and he couldnt even quote me the right number for a break in sooo I guess he must be wrong. Dental floss huh going to give that a try.

gorgenk
Sat, Feb-26-2005, 03:55:47 PM
Hmm, got to check the notes on the work this last time but I had the rod bearing recall done this last fall well ove 1200 miles ago. Doubt they are that stupid to have done it agian, since he asked me first off " Have you had your M3 in for the rod bearing recall?" Anyway it wasnt the guy that I delt with when I dropped it off and he couldnt even quote me the right number for a break in sooo I guess he must be wrong. Dental floss huh going to give that a try.

Where are you getting your service done? Based on your name I'm guessing you're in CO. DONT go to Gebhardt, there a bunch of f'n morons.

BMW F1
Sun, Feb-27-2005, 01:43:47 AM
Hmmm Sounds like he is new.....
Adam.