Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : microphone problem: poor bluetooth sound quality

drhungle
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 11:40:24 PM
i have just installed retrofit bluetooth (from BMW) in my 03 M3. i have motorola v600. my friends have a hard time hearing my voice (sounds like speakerphone, static, goes in and out). is this due to microphone quality in overhead area?

is there a better aftermarket microphone available for bluetooth?

MongooseMX
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 12:54:44 AM
do you have a sunroof? I swapped my sunroof switch and my microphone and it made a difference.

Army Chief
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 08:28:57 AM
The problem probably ISN'T with the microphone itself, since the system usually works quite well. The most likely scenario is that you may have installed the microphone facing the wrong direction. You wouldn't think it would make much difference, but if it isn't oriented correctly, it will not get the sound bounce off of the front windshield, which is how it is designed to work. That would be the first thing I'd check.

Assuming the microphone is facing the right direction, you can (as has been pointed out) switch the position of the moonroof switch and the mic. The holes are not exactly the same size, however, so you'll probably need to enlargen the orginal moonroof hole slightly. Careful use of a Dremel with a sanding disc does the trick nicely.

All in all, the sound quality of a properly installed system shouldn't leave you disappointed. Might want to go back and check your work, since the installation directions aren't always clear.

Chief

xxaarraa
Wed, Nov-11-2009, 06:18:00 PM
I just completed the switch swap (moonroof switch and microphone) after dremelling edges on the right side for moonroof switch. This has caused a new problem. Here are the facts:

1. People on the other end of the line are now complaining of mad echo.
2. If I hit the premium sound button, the echo goes away.

This leads me to believe that without premium sound on, the phone is routed only to driver's side speaker. The newly relocated mic which is now closer to driver's side speaker is picking up the echo.

Any way to fix this?

xxaarraa
Wed, Nov-11-2009, 09:42:14 PM
Bump? Anyone? :wave:

e46lsb
Wed, Nov-11-2009, 10:19:17 PM
Bump? Anyone? :wave:

you bumped it after 3 hours?:shifty:

FishingCrue
Thu, Nov-12-2009, 12:46:38 AM
Yes there is a upgraded mic. Check here -- http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/bmw-new-version-upgraded-microphone-item-93.html Link also has installation instructions (arrow goes towards front of car). Mine was backwards with the old microphone and I am told it sounded like I was at the bottom of a well. Turned it around and haven't gotten too many complaints. Probably won't order the upgraded mic because then I would have to install it which means screwing around with my hobbled together V1 hardwire (I have a vert, it's tough working up there).

Alternatively, and I still haven't found a DIY on this -- sometime in 05 the microphone for verts moved to the steering column. It may be possible to retrofit this piece to a coupe. Let me know if you are able to do it (and please post part numbers) -- I started a thread on this a while back but it died a painfully slow death.

xxaarraa
Thu, Nov-12-2009, 02:34:07 PM
Yes there is a upgraded mic. Check here -- http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/bmw-new-version-upgraded-microphone-item-93.html Link also has installation instructions (arrow goes towards front of car). Mine was backwards with the old microphone and I am told it sounded like I was at the bottom of a well. Turned it around and haven't gotten too many complaints. Probably won't order the upgraded mic because then I would have to install it which means screwing around with my hobbled together V1 hardwire (I have a vert, it's tough working up there).

Alternatively, and I still haven't found a DIY on this -- sometime in 05 the microphone for verts moved to the steering column. It may be possible to retrofit this piece to a coupe. Let me know if you are able to do it (and please post part numbers) -- I started a thread on this a while back but it died a painfully slow death.

Great find, thanks for sharing! Is the part number embossed/printed on the mic itself? I want to make sure I don't already have the upgraded mic before ordering one.

I may try turning it around also to see if that helps.