Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Improve Automatic SMG shifting

Fastdog911
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 10:34:24 PM
I really would like to use the Automatic side of the SMG box more. The "lull" between gears drives me nuts... even in A5 mode. Can this be corrected with software?

Moogle
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 10:46:48 PM
learn to let off the gas a bit when you know its going to shift, really makes things smoother

you get used to it.

bren
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 10:53:39 PM
I really would like to use the Automatic side of the SMG box more. The "lull" between gears drives me nuts... even in A5 mode. Can this be corrected with software?
No software can remove the clutch from your transmission.

flabmaster
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 10:53:53 PM
I have yet to hear of a software producer who has delt with shift times or shifting issues. Sorry, but we're stuck with automated being crappy. Besides, the car is a manual with a clutch, you'll never get to where it feels like an automatic slushbox unless you stick a second clutch in there like the audi DSG system. Why not just use sequential all of the time? I guess to each his own. If you really can't stand the lag and insist on automated then you could always wait and buy the new M5 with SMGIII which is supposed to be drastically better, or you could buy an Audi TT with DSG.
-Dave

Fastdog911
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 11:40:11 PM
looks like it could be my style on the pedal.

DaBean
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 01:16:14 AM
u should know it was never meant to be driven automatically... sure, it's there, but for convenience.... it'll never feel like a true, soft automatic box.. just because there is still clutch action going.. and since it's performed by a computer, it will never be as smooth as when performed by a human...
I find I get a better ride when I shift myself

Into Eternity
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 02:57:45 AM
I don't think it your pedal action is bad, like stated the automatic mode is not very smooth on its own, if you have to think about revs and shifting points in auto than you might as well be in manual. I am with you on this, as I expected to be in auto mode a bit more because of the local traffic, but I don't like the way it shifts. But after owning the car for about 3 weeks this has yet to really concern me. Maybe try and get used to A2 or A3, I haven't had the time or patience yet.

Speed Demon
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 07:27:01 AM
I'm pretty surprised no one has come up with a software upgrade to improve the *manual* shifting on the SMG.

I drive with S5, and still find it's not shifting as fast as I'd like for the lower rpm's. 4000-4500+ rpm is fine, but under 3500 (under 3000 in particular) still feels laggy. I'd be willing to pay good $$ for a software upgrade that would shift in the lower rpm's at the same speed that shifts occur at 4500rpm...

Re: the original post... When I recently purchased my 05 M3 w/ SMG, I had thought I'd be making use of the Auto mode as well (for traffic situations). What I quickly found is that there's really no use for the Auto mode unless you are involved in something that requires you only use 1 hand to drive. All the benefits of having an "auto" in traffic are achieved with the SMG in manual. The big savings in feeling more relaxed in heavy traffic comes from never having to move your left foot/leg and doing any clutch work in bumper-to-bumper. SMG in S5 is just as relaxing for me in traffic as a (traditional) automatic car would be.

Jim2004M3
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 07:22:39 PM
As we've mentioned in earlier posts, the BMW factory people told me to use it manually - the lack of a torque converter to smooth out operation and the unknowns of what the driver wants to do, eg accellerate, decellerate, nothing, etc. make an automatic with a clutch difficult.
The lag time you feel is actually shorter than you can shift manually but the wait with nothing to do (clutch, gas, gear lever) makes it seem an eternity! An auto with torque converter shifts smoothly and fast because the gears are always engaged, each having it's own clutch internal to the gearbox. If you want auto, you can probably learn to use it more smoothly, but manual gear selection works best on the SMG.

Fastdog911
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:50:44 AM
tried getting off the gas and letting it shift.. works better.. problem is I never know when it is going to shift.. it is all over the place on shift points.

BigGrin
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:08:40 AM
The answer is simple. When you want to know the shiftpoints - do it manually. Driving in auto is like being a passenger gear wise - you don't know exactly when the driver is going to shift.