Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : SMG driving technique (hills) question

soulmate
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 06:38:37 PM
What is the best (least wear & tear on the engine) way to deal with stop-and-go traffic going up a hill? Is using the hill assist every time you're stopped an ok way to go, or is there a better technique?

Rob's Archive
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 06:49:06 PM
i would use hill assist if its steep enough, if not just use the normal foot off brake, and then on to the gas.

BigGrin
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 07:05:33 PM
I try to not stop completely unless necessary and will leave a slightly larger than normal gap so as to keep the car moving very slowly and constantly until there is no choice. If I have to stop and its anything other than very mild grade I use footbrake and handbrake and use the handbrake to hold it until the on the gas pedal. I find hill assist pretty useless.

Mpassioned
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 07:23:50 PM
Just pull up and stop using left foot for braking, and apply gas while releasing brake when time to go. Practice with no one around 'till you get the hang of left foot braking, as you have a tendancy to over brake if you haven't tried it before. That may catch someone off guard behind you if you stop short and quick.

Beowoulf
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 08:16:38 PM
Whatever you do, don't hold the car on a grade with just a bit of gas to keep it from rolling backward. You will mess up your clutch. Use the handbrake, hill assist or left foot braking.

DaBean
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 08:24:20 PM
Alex beat me to it, but yea, BigGrin... going slowly like that is really bad for the clutch, since at a low speed like that it's not fully open/closed...

I usually use the handbrake for hill starts... works pretty well... if I'm lazy I'll just use hill assist, but usually I used the e-brake to hold the car since pressing the brake pedal... well, that's a lot of work too...

M3_shin
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 08:40:16 PM
Yea, I just left foot brake... then immediately gas with right foot once light turns... no rollback whatsoever...

soulmate
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 08:53:19 PM
Yea, I just left foot brake... then immediately gas with right foot once light turns... no rollback whatsoever...

Thanks guys. The info about wear and tear placed on the clutch when you "creep" is exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about.

Mpassioned
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 08:54:00 PM

Just be careful if a cop is behind you. The first time I tried that with this car,(I've had it a month) I broke the rear loose like you wouldn't believe. Must have been something to that MPOWER lisence plate the came on it after all...hmmmm... Might have been hard to explain, officer, I wasn't showing off, honest, I was just trying to go, and I didn't want to hold you up!

BigGrin
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 09:25:24 PM
Thanks guys, it sounds like there really isn't any realistic alternative to left foot braking then for the particular junction I hit on most journeys - the traffic moves too quickly for repeated use of the handbrake each time a car goes and the hill assist doesn't prevent the roll to any worthwhile degree.