Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Can I change the color of my halogen DRLs?

Doctor Love
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 06:24:30 PM
I know there are xenon-match bulbs for fog lights and such, but I was curious as to whether a bulb change on the inner halogens can change the color of the DRLs? My understanding was that DRLs are run at a lower power level so that's why the color is more yellow. I'm going to be installing angel eyes soon and they might look funny with yellowish DRLs. Any ideas?

Rob's Archive
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 06:57:34 PM
hmm...why dont you just turn off the DRL's anyway? They are useless anyway. I dont know of any bulbs that have a higher kelvin rating except when they are at full wattage. Try talking to hoen usa, they might have a bulb that would work.

laxplaya21
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 06:58:51 PM
My advice is to get the dealer to program your car so they don't run at all. I personally wish there was a way to change the drl into a useful HID bulb... but it seems like it would be too difficult.
Good Luck

Sirius
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 06:59:41 PM
I agree with Rob. Just deactivate them.

Even if you were to get a higher kelvin rating bulb, they would still glow yellow due to the lower power rating.

mastek
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 08:53:16 AM
Exactly,
you have to figure out a way to feed full wattage (as you do when you pull the left blinker lever) full-time .......... then lower the height so your not shining them in peoples eyes (like the DRL's are - but at lower power)

DaBean
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 06:22:39 PM
If you go with DDEs, plug them in so they turn on whenever your car is on, that way they will act as DRL (I personally like lights on whenever my car is on) but I've always hated the look of the DRLs.... which is why I used to turn on my Xenons whenever I drove... just to be safe... (I still do from time to time...)

And one of my friends has the DDE + DRL look... and it does look weird...

Edit:
Here's one of the pics...
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showpost.php?p=631323&postcount=5

You can see more in this thread...
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=53729