Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Does salt hurt paint?

M3PWR.
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 06:43:03 PM
Does salt hurt paint if it sits on the car for long periods of time?

ArtM3
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 06:54:15 PM
as long as it's got a good wax job, and is rinsed occasionally, should not

it's the bottom & wheel wells that need attention, I powerwash/degrease mine twice a year, and rinse the wells when I wash

hey I'm ~50 miles south of you, next time I put mine on the lift to powerwash it, I'll PM ya

M3PWR.
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 06:55:40 PM
Hey ArtM3 are u grom Pittsburgh? If soo we should get together for a cruise when the weather improves

ArtM3
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 06:56:59 PM
Hey ArtM3 are u grom Pittsburgh? If soo we should get together for a cruise when the weather improves

I'm in Uniontown, and we have great, lightly patrolled mountain roads, Ohiopyle, etc. sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

Rev8k
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 07:13:41 PM
Car washes hurt the paint...

Sirius
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 07:35:01 PM
Avoid powerwashing paint. Try to get salt off the paint asap. Its not too healty for it.

ArtM3
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 08:07:44 PM
Avoid powerwashing paint. Try to get salt off the paint asap. Its not too healty for it.

yep, I powerwash the wheel wells & underside...I hand wash the car with a microfiber mitt, lots of soapy water, and plenty of rinsing

although in the winter I will wand wash at a self wash place just to get the crud off, just don't hold it too close

icevirus
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 08:17:21 PM
salt hurt the road so yes it will hurt the paint if u leave it on long enuff :nixweiss:

Sirius
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 08:18:36 PM
yep, I powerwash the wheel wells & underside...I hand wash the car with a microfiber mitt, lots of soapy water, and plenty of rinsing

although in the winter I will wand wash at a self wash place just to get the crud off, just don't hold it too close

Ahh. Very good. :thumbsup:

It pains me when people take powerwashers to their paint, or even go through thoes brushless car washes.

sonk_76
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 10:02:30 PM
Ahh. Very good. :thumbsup:

It pains me when people take powerwashers to their paint, or even go through thoes brushless car washes.

What's wrong with the brushless car washes? I thought they were the only reasonable way to keep your car clean in the winter months (in the snow belt anyhow.) Car washes that touch the car seem to have a much worse repuration for messing up the paint?

SpecialK
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:09:13 AM
Water volume exiting any nozzle at a high rate of speed at close range is somewhat akin to sand blasting. Also, most of the washes (regardless of type) reuse some of the the water to keep down costs so washing the car with dirty salty water isn't providing much benefit. I never visit them. VA was laying down salt this morning so when I got home I just did a fresh water wash with a microfiber mit to get the salt off and stuffed her in the barn. Albeit it was 31 degrees out and my neighbors thought I was certifiable, the job got done in about ten minutes. What's wrong with the brushless car washes? I thought they were the only reasonable way to keep your car clean in the winter months (in the snow belt anyhow.) Car washes that touch the car seem to have a much worse repuration for messing up the paint?

DaBean
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:22:05 AM
as long as it's got a good wax job, and is rinsed occasionally, should not

it's the bottom & wheel wells that need attention, I powerwash/degrease mine twice a year, and rinse the wells when I wash

hey I'm ~50 miles south of you, next time I put mine on the lift to powerwash it, I'll PM ya

we could make it a small party ;)

M3_shin
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:29:14 AM
I go to the brushless car washes..... I know it may not be the best thing for the car... but with the weather being so damn cold... I can't justify breaking out the hose at home.... I have been avoiding the salted roads lately as my car has been sitting in the garage through all the snow....The paintjobs on our cars are pretty good IMO and could hold up against a little abuse here and there....

ArtM3
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:31:19 AM
we could make it a small party ;)

the more the merrier, takes ~30 minutes or less per car to do it right :agree:

Sirius
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 03:06:33 AM
What's wrong with the brushless car washes? I thought they were the only reasonable way to keep your car clean in the winter months (in the snow belt anyhow.) Car washes that touch the car seem to have a much worse repuration for messing up the paint?

Most used recycled water to cut costs, which means you're getting dirty, contaminated water sprayed at high pressure at your car.

DaBean
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 03:12:39 AM
the more the merrier, takes ~30 minutes or less per car to do it right :agree:

I'm down!! let me know next time you do it I'll be happy to drive down!

ArtM3
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 03:20:46 AM
I'm down!! let me know next time you do it I'll be happy to drive down!

It'll be after the last snow fall and any chance of damn road salt. I've got everything we need, we'll put some screws on your flippers when we have it up on the lift.

Maybe wax 'em up too :thumbsup: