Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Dealer+Warrenty+CAI+Eurobahn = BS

Straighte8
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 03:36:56 PM
I am taking my car into be serviced because the service engine light has been on for awhile now because of my AFE CAI. I am taking the intake out before I go, but I am worried about my Eurobahn Softwear. The softwear went in weeks after the light came on, but I know these guys are always looking to place the blame on aftermarket parts. I am afraid if I don't tell them about the softwear they might wipe it out, but If I do tell them, I don't want them to try to blame the service engine light on the softwear. My service guy that I have had in the past is a younger guy and he has always liked my car...so Im wondering if I should just go ahead and tell him. Some advice from you guys would be very helpful in deciding what to do. Or If anywone has been in the same situation. Thanks

spartacus700
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 05:48:26 PM
I had the same problem when I had my Dinan intake installed... they put the intake on and initially could not do the software at the same time and the SES light came on... even when I went back later to get the software installed it took several tries to 'clear all the the faults' and get everything working together properly so the SES light would turn off... it was a real pain in the arse because it became clear to me thet the typical BMW service techs ARE NOT expert high-performance car tuners.. they get much more practice fixing 325s and 525s than on the M3.

You have a dilema, and from what I can tell much depends on the attitude of the dealer... many on this board have dealers that seem to be fine with the typical minor mods, but I know for a fact MY dealer would try to blame me if I brought in a problem with software they did not install.

The reality is that the first thing they are going to try is re-flashing the stock software. They would do this first even if they knew you put on some differnt software (they won't feel any obligation at all to save your software mod)... so I don't see what you have to gain by telling them about it.

If you leave the intake on and don't mention the software... they will most definitely blame the intake... so you might as well take it off yourself sothey don't charge yo labor.

Honestly if you don't want to remove your mods you might be better off taking your car back to wherever your got your software/intake install and see if they can clear the faults causing the SES light to come on. The dealer is either going to return your car to stock or worse... it's hard to see any upside.

GHOSTRIDER
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 05:49:36 PM
Sompeople just tell the service advisor not the reflash there ECU cause they have Dinan Software. It doesn't raise many eyebrows and they can't tell the diff anyway.

spartacus700
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 05:59:00 PM
Can you clear EMS faults without re-flashing ?

Or will the servive techs just default to the easiest approach and want to re-flash anyway ?

Sompeople just tell the service advisor not the reflash there ECU cause they have Dinan Software. It doesn't raise many eyebrows and they can't tell the diff anyway.