Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Clear Protective Covering

Gary T
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 05:40:50 AM
Does anyone have any experience with BMW's clear plastic bra accessory? I just ordered it today for my 04 M3 but am having reservations since I was told it's permanent.

flybigjet
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 06:13:32 PM
Does anyone have any experience with BMW's clear plastic bra accessory? I just ordered it today for my 04 M3 but am having reservations since I was told it's permanent.

Are you talking clear bra? If so, 1. get it. 2. NOT from the dealer. Clear bra's (3M, DynaShield, Xpel, etc) are usually installed by the same guys who do window tint. The dealer simply jobs it out. I'd recommend shopping around.

I'm not certain what "BMW clear plastic bra accessory" you're talking about, but I hope this helps. R.

Sirius
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 06:35:28 PM
Yes, BMW offers clear bras now. IIRC, they are made by 3M.

Jeddi
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:36:01 AM
How much do these things sell for?
J

SpecialK
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 02:52:30 AM
Do a quick search under "clear bra" and I think you'll find questions you haven't thought of yet answered. This topic comes up quite a bit. About $450-$500 for a full kit (Air dam, bumper, front fenders, hood, mirrors) installed. You can have whatever you want done for a price. How much do these things sell for?
J

flybigjet
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 03:16:54 AM
I paid $800 for custom install (not pre-cut kit) of 3M clear bra of hood (up to and over the front of the power dome), complete front clip (bumper and air dam), headlights, foglights, foglight trim, front quarter panels (to match hood), behind front wheels (below side flasher), side rocker panels (below doors), behind the rear wheels, and side view mirrors. Just the hood/quarter panel tips usually runs somewhere around $200. Price varies from there on what you have done. Best investment you can do to your car. Period. Especially if you get it done immediately- I had 15 miles on the clock when I got the clear film put on, so nicks or chips. R.

Gary T
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 06:22:25 AM
OK Gang. Thanks for the tips. Sounds like a smart investment. Not many miles on my clock yet either. No road rash or chips yet.
Maybe I'd better knock on wood after admitting that.

Gary

BigHat
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 12:45:54 PM
For example, FL, CA, TX seem to have lots of competition that drives the price down. Here is VA we have a guy that flies into the area from FL to do the work. A very complete kit cost be $800.00 and a 50% discount of the window tinting job I wanted. He said this 3M kit would be about $600 in Miami.
It's not a simple process. The skill set of the installer makes a big difference and a couple hundreds bucks more for a good job is worth it.

kyky
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 07:57:59 PM
I'd recommend you do 2 things before getting the clear bra. Do research on the films that are available and find a quality installer. I've heard horror stories about bad installers who uses multiple pieces of film on the bumper. This makes it easier to install, but it looks bad because you will get a line right across the bumper.

I have clear bras on all of my cars, and I went with the Venture film. I had 3M before and there were yellowing issues with it. I've heard that some people have this issue while others didn't. Also, Llumar and Venture has lifetime warranties and 3M only offers 5years.

I definitely think that you should get a clear bra on before you start getting chips. Definitely do some research before you get it though. I remember there was a really imformative post on another forum about the "facts and myths" about clear bras. But I can't recall where I saw it. I'll get back to you if I remember.

withaJ
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:00:05 AM
One of the forum members sells 3M kits and materials. Check out Ryan Burroughs, 813-505-3868, www.autoclearguard.com. I saw one of his postings and the deals are pretty decent.

sk8ermoo
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:02:11 AM
I have around 4-5 chips on my 4 month old car. Do you think it's advisable to go ahead and cover those up with a clear bra? I know the sooner the better to get a clearbra but I guess it's too late for that. The chips are barely noticeable I only notice it when getting down and washing it. Would there be any bubbles or discolorations on the very small chips?

3kBlue04
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 08:19:49 AM
hey BigHat,
I'm from FL but living in Germany now. I'll be heading back to FL soon :dance: . Do you happen to have the name and phone number to the guy you speak of in the note below. Much appreciated.

For example, FL, CA, TX seem to have lots of competition that drives the price down. Here is VA we have a guy that flies into the area from FL to do the work. A very complete kit cost be $800.00 and a 50% discount of the window tinting job I wanted. He said this 3M kit would be about $600 in Miami.
It's not a simple process. The skill set of the installer makes a big difference and a couple hundreds bucks more for a good job is worth it.

flybigjet
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:28:20 PM
I have around 4-5 chips on my 4 month old car. Do you think it's advisable to go ahead and cover those up with a clear bra? I know the sooner the better to get a clearbra but I guess it's too late for that. The chips are barely noticeable I only notice it when getting down and washing it. Would there be any bubbles or discolorations on the very small chips?

autosharppen.com

Use this as a touch-up a few days before you do the clear bra install. If you do it right, you'll never see the chips. R.

Auto Paint Guard
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 02:54:21 AM
Hey Guys. I have to add my 2 cents.

The 3M kits that are sold at the BMW dealers are the XPEL kits. Xpel is OEM for BMW and Porsche.

I've been in the clear bra business for 4 years now and tried all kinds of different films. The only film that I would recommend putting on your paint is the 3M film. The 3M film is .95 mill thick which .2 of that is clear coat, which allows the film to shine as well as your paint does. A lot of the other films do not have that clear coat which allows the kit to become dirtier over the years.

Stats of 3M
Cleacoat and Urethane Film: .0060 inches
Adhesive: .0020 inches
Liner: .0035 inches
TOTAL .0095 inches

Some installers are using other film brands mainly for 2 reasons. Save costs and make the installation a lot easier.

I also read a previous post that the film softens the paint due to the film now allowing the paint to breathe. This is also not exactly true. The film has very tiny holes in the film that allows the paint to breathe. These are also how the moisture after the install slowly evaporates away.

If you guys have any questions at all let me know. I also offer great discounts to the forum members so just shoot me an e-mail or give me a call. There is also a great 30 minute detailed video on my site on how to install on a BMW M3 for the daring customer. :)

Ryan
www.autoclearguard.com

M3 Driver
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 04:17:37 AM
good info. thanks.

can you advise a Dallas area rep for the same?

sk8ermoo
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 04:22:51 AM
If any of you guys are interested there's something going on for the southern California people in this thread.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=54760

Auto Paint Guard
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 08:55:03 AM
good info. thanks.

can you advise a Dallas area rep for the same?

What's your Zip Code?

M3 Driver
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 01:12:28 PM
zip sent via PM

thanks