Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : SMG Hand brake question

m3lvr207
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 06:19:28 PM
Hey guys,

Let's say you're in an uneven road and you stop while keeping the engine running (I was getting my mail in my complex) and you put your hand brake all the way up with the gear in neutral, should the car not move at all? I think my hand brake needs some fixen coz my car kept moving. I have SMG tranny by the way. Thanks for any input

BigGrin
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 06:23:38 PM
If its in neutral theres nothing other than the handbrake to stop it moving, so yeah - you either need it adjusting or you're not pulling it up enough.

DaBean
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 06:24:24 PM
shouldn't move especially if you pull it all the way. I find it hard to pull all the way, although I've never tried nor needed to...
Any car shouldn't move when the e-brake is pulled... manual, auto, smg...

dove
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 06:38:08 PM
For what it's worth, when I park on a hill I need to pull the e-brake ALL THE WAY up, or else the car starts slipping right away

Sirius
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 06:57:28 PM
A correctly adjusted e-brake should only go up three clicks before its at full lock.

medici78
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 07:00:31 PM
Should never move if the e-brake is on.

bvnmspt
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 07:03:13 PM
The cable that runs between the hand lever and the rear brake assembly is probably loose. You probably need to get it tensioned. You'll see this problem on both SMG or a traditional Manual.

MattMan
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 07:24:20 PM
Common problem.. and easy fix.. dealer should be able to adjust so that full lock happens before full e-brake lever lock.

It is BAD to pull the e-brake beyond the last position click as it will start to loosen the cable/adjuster.

luxautodetail
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 07:25:06 PM
take it to the dealer and have them tighten your e-brake up...

capirest
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 07:29:46 PM
Time to go get tit check!!!

NetBoy
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 08:12:40 PM
Hey guys,

Let's say you're in an uneven road and you stop while keeping the engine running (I was getting my mail in my complex) and you put your hand brake all the way up with the gear in neutral, should the car not move at all? I think my hand brake needs some fixen coz my car kept moving. I have SMG tranny by the way. Thanks for any input

Get it tightened. Should stop rolls on slight inclines. But if you park anywhere steep you need to turn the engine off for the brake to fully engage.

I went to dealer two times until we finally figured this out. Mechanic thought this was only for SMG.
Found a really steep hill, hand brake up engine on, starting rolling back. As soon as engine off, brake locked and no more rolling.

BigGrin
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 08:25:17 PM
As soon as engine off, brake locked and no more rolling.

Is it the brake that engages more or is the engine holding if you are in 1st gear once turned off (ie turning the engine off releases the imaginary clutch pedal)?

jimmie48
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 08:43:18 PM
I have this problem sometimes, my girlfriend's driveway is really steep and I have to really pull the brake all the way, even when in gear parking for the car to stop after i let go of the foot break. Sometimes it rolls probably less than a quarter of a rotation and then stops. It is on my list for the dealer as well. Here is my list btw:

e break loose^
weatherstripping/molding on driver door loose and coming down
passenger speaker rattle
headliner rattle
window stripping(plastic on bottom of passenger window comes up out of place a little bit every time the window actuates back)

All for now

NetBoy
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 09:12:56 PM
Is it the brake that engages more or is the engine holding if you are in 1st gear once turned off (ie turning the engine off releases the imaginary clutch pedal)?

Turning the engine off does something so the brake fully engages. I have no clue why. Mechanic tried to explain to me couple of times. And when turning the engine off I only need a couple of clicks on the hand brake. Before I would pull the brake as far as possible.

Give it a try. I have a 2003 with SMG.

BMW F1
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 01:55:55 AM
As Sirius pointed out, 3 clicks and your done.
Adam.

If more, get it to the Dealer to tighten.

MikeR
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 02:30:31 AM
i had the same problem. dealer said no brake adjustment needed. I needed an adjustment, pull harder on the brake lever. Now I pull it up until it won't move anymore.

Thrill
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 02:26:56 PM
I want my parking brake put on the front, Then I could use it like line lock.