Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Autox pic attached......w/ comments

M3-peat
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 01:35:05 PM
Finished my 2nd autox with my car. With the Dunlop sport race tires, Royal Purple Trans fluid and ATE type 200 brake fluid all intact, the car performed admirably. There was a case of driver error on three of the four runs though, which involved staying in third gear throughout the whole run. Turned out that when I was trying to downshift to 2nd(should've practiced beforehand), I kept moving the lever all the way over to where reverse is and trying to find a 'new' 2nd gear in a non-existent slot.
Before I figured this out, I thought for sure either the Royal Purple was now a hazard to my tranny or the tranny was just plain broke.
First run was a 76+ which included a one cone penalty. Last run was 70+ clean and using 2nd gear on the back half of the track(pretty ugly too I might add as I left a lot of time to be saved on the course). The tires were very impressive and seemed to get better each run. The Royal Purple tranny fluid has shown a definite improvement all around in both cold and hot conditions and the brakes have never felt better(to me). The 245f/265r staggered set of tires really did the trick as I was drifting, not pushing my way around the course.
This car is still a learning experience for me but the future only looks brighter each run I make. As soon as I make time, I plan on taking the car to sebring or moroso for a DE school.
PS..took 2nd by 2 sec's to the Class champion from last year in a S2K. I may consider a stiffer front sway if anyone has any recommendations. Pic only shows how hard I was pushing it on my last run, sliding through every turn and wasting a lot of time.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1
010905autox.gif

Eric1855
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 01:45:28 PM
If you are having troubles pushing or sliding through the turns and then hanging the ass end out on exit, you are over driving the car.

Slow down more before entering turns, then power out of them keeping a tight line the whole way. You can dial out alot of your push just by proper braking techniques. It's always easier to accelerate out of a turn when you take a nice slow proper entrance, then it is to try to get the car back under control after you have pushed way out and have the car unbalanced, which leads to the quick oversteer causing you to slide around and scrub off all your speed.

M3-peat
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 01:50:20 PM
If you are having troubles pushing or sliding through the turns and then hanging the ass end out on exit, you are over driving the car.

Slow down more before entering turns, then power out of them keeping a tight line the whole way. You can dial out alot of your push just by proper braking techniques. It's always easier to accelerate out of a turn when you take a nice slow proper entrance, then it is to try to get the car back under control after you have pushed way out and have the car unbalanced, which leads to the quick oversteer causing you to slide around and scrub off all your speed.

Thanks and I appreciate the advice. I actually know this for the most part but I was a little too excited since this was my last run and I had finally figured out my gearbox, so I was pushing way harder than I did the previous runs.

HaroldC
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 04:16:28 PM
As you've already found out, the E46 is a pig around an auto-x course. This is definitely a slow-in, fast-out car. If you even try to keep any speed through a tight cone, you will push out.

Is there a class you're trying to stay in? If so, you want to make sure front sways will not bump you out of class. I know most guys who auto-x the E46 in stock class only change shocks and run r-comps. Those who are successful actually run a square setup, either 265s or 245s all around. You don't need all of that tire in the back, so long as you are gentle with the throttle.

I gave up auto-xing the E46 and will be campaigning an '05 Cooper S and a '90 E30 M3 for this season. I will also auto-x my s52 E30 M3 for a few Porsche Club events, since there is only one class for non-Porsches.

Good luck with the car.

bren
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 04:41:30 PM
I'm glad the tires worked out for you.

As far as a front bar, ground-control is the preferred "race" setup by far...it's big, hollow (light), and infinitely adjustable. The downside, from what I've heard, is that the endlinks tend to wear and will rattle.

jonam
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:12:43 PM
front sway bar(not rear) is allowed in stock class, last time I checked?!

Eric1855
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:15:49 PM

In SCCA AutoX, yes, the Front Sway Bar is free to change.

DaBean
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:28:06 PM
Semi OT (you were talking about drifting)
Do you turn DSC off when you autox and get a little slide going around corners (which could potentially f your time up) or do you keep it on and push it as hard it is lets you take it?

bren
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 08:38:28 PM
Do you turn DSC off when you autox and get a little slide going around corners (which could potentially f your time up) or do you keep it on and push it as hard it is lets you take it?
DSC will only slow you down.

DaBean
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 08:50:40 PM
Follow up: the first time I ever go autox-ing (as soon as the weather warms), should I still turn it off, or keep it on for a run or two to get used to it?

M3-peat
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 08:55:39 PM
I'm glad the tires worked out for you.

As far as a front bar, ground-control is the preferred "race" setup by far...it's big, hollow (light), and infinitely adjustable. The downside, from what I've heard, is that the endlinks tend to wear and will rattle.
I hate rattles, so if that's the case, I will probably stay away from the GC sway. I didn't hate the way the car acted but then again I'm coming from a 4dr Infinit g35, so a marked improvement was expected. Other than the rattle, it sounds ideal. I'll have to think about it.

M3-peat
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 08:59:08 PM

Yes, DSC off and Sport on. My goal is for minimal sliding with full control of the rear myself w/o the aide of the computer safety net. In my opinion, a drift in the right place here and there can improve your time but not being overdone.

M3-peat
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 09:02:53 PM
Follow up: the first time I ever go autox-ing (as soon as the weather warms), should I still turn it off, or keep it on for a run or two to get used to it?

I would think the first time you ever autox, yes, but not if you have some experience. I"m making my girlfriend use DSC the first time she uses my car, and maybe all the time unless I feel she's ready w/o it.

DaBean
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 09:05:09 PM
Cool... yea, I don't have much Auto-x experience (although I have snow drifting practice ;) see sig)
I'll see when I get there.. hopefully they'll have one soonish...

bren
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 10:36:52 PM
Having DSC on will just mask what you are doing wrong.

I can't drive the car with Sport on...it's waaaaay too touchy and jerky to drive smoothly.

bren
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 10:38:39 PM
I hate rattles...
Then you definitely don't want the GC sway. Eibach makes a nice big sway that uses the stock endlinks and will be quiet.

jonam
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 11:12:08 PM
I have had mine for almost two years and it doesn't rattle.

M3-peat
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 12:20:36 AM
Cool... yea, I don't have much Auto-x experience (although I have snow drifting practice ;) see sig)
I'll see when I get there.. hopefully they'll have one soonish...

it's only a little different than snow, just without the white slippery stuff. haha. You'll love it, everyone I know who's tried it, loves it. But then again, I've heard people who track their car, never go back to autox, but that's also a much more expensive sport.

where do you live?

M3-peat
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 12:22:04 AM

I can't drive the car with Sport on...it's waaaaay too touchy and jerky to drive smoothly.

My idea of using the Sport mode is to learn how to drive more smoothly by adjusting to the touchiness of the throttle.
Although it's not always easy.

M3-peat
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 12:22:56 AM
I have had mine for almost two years and it doesn't rattle.

So you have the GC front sway? Any issues, on street, track or autox? How much?

flabmaster
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 03:35:05 AM

I'm going to agree 100% with what you said. I only leave DSC on for track days when it's very wet out. For auto-x, it will get in the way a little and you'll never see where you made a mistake. Sport, I tried it for a run on auto-x and I had a really really tough time keeping it in check. I find it far easier to be smooth and controlled without sport.
-Dave

Grimm333
Tue, Feb-01-2005, 07:18:40 PM
congrats on the finish...looked like a lot of fun...time to make you a sig :D let me know if you want one :D

:beer:

NoSoup4U
Tue, Feb-01-2005, 10:16:02 PM

You know, JV jumped in my car, turned on sport and laughed with glee mashing the pedal. He also was within .2 seconds of the ASP white porsche boxster on r-comps in my car with street tires. He loved the sport button, said it allowed him to quickly modulate the throttle to get the car to rotate quickly. Did I mention he laughed with glee?

M3-peat
Wed, Feb-02-2005, 10:58:43 PM
congrats on the finish...looked like a lot of fun...time to make you a sig :D let me know if you want one :D

PM sent.

IMO, get another M3.

bridow
Mon, Feb-14-2005, 09:45:46 AM

depends on the car. for the most part...

rwd = change front
fwd = change rear
awd = change rear

Eric1855
Mon, Feb-14-2005, 12:41:08 PM
depends on the car. for the most part...

rwd = change front
fwd = change rear
awd = change rear

That is true for best handling, however, in stock class rules, you may only change the front bar, regardless of car.

M3AnthonySVT
Tue, Feb-15-2005, 01:49:50 PM
M3-Peat
Let me know when the next Auto X is around. I am interested in doing one with my M. I did one before some time ago in my old C5 Vette. Sounds like you had fun even through the troubles.
A