Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : New M3 Doors

Steves05M3
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 01:41:42 AM
hey im new to this forum and i just bought a new m3 coupe. i ordered it waited 7 weeks all that good stuff... but anyway my question is the doors are extremely hard to close... is this normal? i have opened the door of a e46 330cic and it worked so much smother then mine does... also when im washing it, it leaks water to the inside of the window. i was just also wondering if this is normal?.?. or do i need to bring it back to the dealer and make a fuss about it. i would really appreaciate it if some of you other guys with M3's would tell me how your doors work... and also the drivers door squeeks... thanks for all your time.

BMW F1
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 01:48:36 AM
G'Day Steve and Welcome to the Wonderful World of M.

The doors should be a lot easier that what you are saying the the door/windows shouldn't leak at all, sounds like there is something amiss with the seal and the squeak too. I would take it back to the Dealer and have a chat to them about it. Give your salesperson a call first and take it from there. But a USD55+ M should have the dramas you are saying.

Let us know how you go and post pics when you can.
Adam.

lightspeed
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 04:20:03 PM
Ask whoever you bought it from to give you the shipping and delivery records so that you can see if the car has been in an accident during shipping.

Sirius
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 04:33:53 PM
If the doors have been replaced, they will lack vin stickers on the bottom of them.

Hyolee
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:12:55 PM
return to the dealer pronto

DaBean
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:20:48 PM
my dad's 850 does that (has the same go-down-to-open door/windows) ever since "someone" (eh.. I'll denounce her: my sister) rolled the car back with the door open and lightly hit a pole, and knocked it out of alignment... so now it lightly leaks... odds are there has been some sort of impact

acitydweller
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 06:09:48 PM
You purchased this new so you shouldnt have to deal with these issues.

Bring it back to the dealer.

Some cars are damaged during shipping. it happens...
Check to see if the door is repainted.

daihard
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 06:45:29 PM
I agree with others. You should definitely complain to the dealership. Something like that should just NOT happen to a new car, let alone a new BMW.

lightspeed
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 06:49:20 PM
OT: Long time no see Dai.

sullyz
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 06:54:10 PM
You can have the dealer take a look.
The door seal in the jam near the latch is probably backing off and pushed slightly forward. This will cause the door to bind more and have trouble closing fully. Provided this is the cause, if you push the seal back into its proper position it should help.
Mine has done that a couple of times.

GregW / Oregon
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 08:13:36 PM
A common issue with the E46 M3 involves the door panely rubbing on the weatherstrip. Requires moving panel forward and perhaps replacing the rubber. If you close the door slowly and lokk closely I bet you will see the inside door panel rubbing here.

Your dealer should be able to adjust it. Mine was done 20k ago and is still fine.

bluebolt_m3
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 08:41:50 PM
Mine did that alot. It turned out that the seal, by the back seat bottom, sticks to the door when you close it and eventually it tears. So look at the side (away from the hinge) of your door to see if there are any rubber marks or dust. Mine got so bad that the rubber tore and rubber dust was everywhere in the back seat floor. I got the dealer to replace it under warrentee. I think i'm still catching though. One thing that the parts shop guy did which worked really well (before i got it replaced), was he greased the rubber siding. This way it doesnt catch on the door. I'm going to try to find some Armorall rubber treatment or semething instead of grease to make it less tacky so i dont ruin the rubber.

lightspeed
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 08:43:55 PM
Can someone post pics of those defects?

Haady
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 11:31:37 PM
Whenever I wash my Cab I dont get any water on the inside of window but as soon as I roll down the window and put it back up it gets all streaked with water on the outside of the window. I just figured this was normal but now I'm wondering if it is. Does everyone else get this? I actually have stopped spraying the side windows altogether to try to reduce this effect.

Haady

Thrill
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 11:41:02 PM
Thats normal.

daihard
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 01:41:10 AM
OT: Long time no see Dai.
OT: Nice to see you again. :wave:

Steves05M3
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 04:07:08 AM
thank you all so much. its time for me to make another trip to the dealer. this infomation has been a big help.

lightspeed
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 12:35:39 PM
Haady -- that's normal.

After I wash the car I don't roll down the windows but open the door instead, for 2-3 hours after the wash.