Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : do i really need a front sway bar?

bender73
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 11:59:45 PM
i have a 2001 M3 with no front sway bar

i don't currently track my M3

will i notice a difference in handling day to day? is it worth the $270 from circle BMW?

DaBean
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 12:01:59 AM
I haven't taken mine off, so I can't tell for sure... but I'm sure you will notice a little difference... If you don't track your car, or if you are satisfied with the handling, then you might as well save your money and use it somewhere else. If you would like a little more precision and less sway, then go ahead and get it. You should also look in the aftermarket.. perhaps there are better and/or cheaper alternatives

ArtM3
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 12:10:57 AM
yes...period

ninook
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 12:22:00 AM

will i notice a difference in handling day to day? is it worth the $270 from circle BMW?

Do you mean strut tower brace?

Yes you do need a sway bar.

sy0296
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:28:16 AM
if u don't push ur car, i dont' really see the need for you to get one...get one of the cheaper ones on ebay and try it out...

bvnmspt
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 06:38:03 AM

Yes, you'll notice a huge difference if you have no front sway bar. Your car does come with a beefy one... I believe it's 25mm in diameter. I'll let you know what my Eibach upgrade (30mm front and 25mm rear) is like.

If your car doesn't have a struct tower brace, I do recommend that you get one. It should stiffen up the chassis quite a bit. You'll notice it more with modified suspension. :hmm:

nrubenstein
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 11:00:32 AM
OK.

Are you referring to the front SWAY bar, which connects the two struts, and runs UNDER the car, or are you referring to the STRUT TOWER bar which runs between the strut towers, across the engine?

If the former, YES, if the latter, no.

Thrill
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 12:09:04 PM
If you are talking sway bar you need it period. I mean this regardless of the type of driving you do. This is a safety issue. Your car will have less stability at all times, but you certainly would want it in place during an emergency avoidance maneuver. These are some of the best handling cars in the world which makes them safer. It would be like driving without rear brakes, you could do it, but why would you.

Beowoulf
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 03:39:27 PM
He is talking about the strut bar and not the sway bar.

bender73
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:24:06 PM
my bad - strut bar :D

bvnmspt
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:45:28 PM

We all kinda figured... :peace:
Just giving you a hard time...

I would definitely get a struct tower brace if I were you. There's a reason why all new M3 come with it. Even the BMW engineers thought so... If it's good enough for them, hell.... it's good enough for me.

acitydweller
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:50:05 PM

my 2001 came without one. I drove it for a few months and purchased an OEM strut tower bar afterwards. The differences are negligible during daily my daily commute. I only feel a slight difference when i take the car out on the weekends on the open road... if you ask me if the $270 is justified, i say no... but this is merely my opinion. i would prefer to get a sway bar upgrade over this....

Roguish Racing
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:57:42 PM
It's only $270 with all the hardware? Not bad...

flabmaster
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 06:53:00 PM
You won't really notice much of a difference in daily driving. You'll notice a difference if you track or autox the car where you'll be inducing understeer. When the struts attempt to deviate under cornering loads, the strut brace will keep them "tied" together and it will reduce understeer a bit. $270? Good price, I say go for it if you ever plan on going to an autox (which I recommend you do). If you're just going to use the car for street driving, you do not need a strut brace.
-Dave