Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Alarm and Clear Bra questions

8Clap
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 12:54:02 AM
Hey all,

I'll be picking up my '05 M3 from the dealer (Crevier, SoCal) next week and I asked them to install an OEM alarm and a clear bra.

I got a $1295 quote for the alarm and a $795 quote for the bra.

1) The $1295 seems ourageous. Any advantages to having the alarm dealer installed as opposed to doing it myself and having it subsequently programmed? Is there something new about the '05 alarm that would justify the cost or are they just trying to screw me?

2) I have not gotten any details about the brand or coverage area of the clear bra Crevier installs. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth $795 to have it dealer installed?

Thanks so much. I've been lurking around here a long time and It's great to finally post something...

flybigjet
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:05:03 AM
1. They're screwing you. I think the alarm's about $240 (that rings a bell from when I got my 2005). Installation is an easy diy- go here for complete instructions; http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_alarm.shtml . The only gotcha is that the dealership has to activate it; should run about $50, but some charge up to an hour of labor (~$100).

2. This is harder; it depends on what they're doing. I paid about $800 for a full 24" hood wrap, *full* front bumper wrap (the entire front clip), all headlights, foglights, front turn signals and foglight trim, behind the front wheels (below the little turn flasher), behind the rear wheels, both rocker panels underneath the side doors, and both side mirrors. I suspect the dealer will do the hood and a few other bits. Personally, I'd go elsewhere, as the dealer is just going to sub the work out anyway. Find out where they send their cars on the lot to. You might also call a few other high-end dealers and ask them where they send their cars. I called my local BMW and Mercedes dealers, and they both used the same guy. Want to guess where I went?

Hope the info helps. R.

Charlie3
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 03:50:43 PM
As been said, I called around, high end car shops, got recommendations on who was doing ' clear bras'....Guy came to my house..did it in my garage in about 3 hours. Price was about $900.00 for complete X-pel coverage...Clear Bra on a dark color is a must and well worth the money...

8Clap
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 08:32:33 PM
Thanks guys.

hkuspc40
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 08:51:24 PM
Hey flybigjet and Charlie3, what color did you apply the X-pel on? Are the cut-off lines very obvious? Can you send me some pics of your hood w/ the X-pel on it? Definitely appreciate it if you could do so.

I have an 04 Silver Met Grey, hood already has very minor nicks and chips, do they just apply the film right over?

Thanks in advance!

Rick

bluebolt_m3
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 09:29:12 PM
I just got an OEM alarm installed. You have to call around. Dealers will screw you with the price. i doubt that there is anything different for this year because i just got one. I called around and got quotes from $500-900. The retail for the alarm is $300. You can get it from PacificBMW for around $240. Instalation is 1.5 hours, around $160. So you would think PacificBMW would do it for around $400. nope, they want to keep the internet business, but screw the locals. they actually charge something like $370 for the alarm itself to walk ins. I had to negotiate with them to give it to me for MSRP, so i got it for about $460 or so. If you install yourself, you may void the warrentee. That's why i chose to have them install it. Here's a few other notes. The alarm always beeps, or you can have the dealer set it so that it doesnt beep. You can change that setting for $100 by the dealer later on. most cheap alarms, you can hit 2 buttons and make it not beep. I dont think the OEM has many features, but i wanted the rudolph nose to light, and i didnt want to carry around another key chain. If you can get it for $500 installed, then it's probably a good deal. You can also buy it online and have a dealer install it, as long as you make sure the warrentee sticks. They say that it doesnt give false set-offs, but i dont know. does anyone else know if these OEM alarms go off on false triggers?

Charlie3
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 10:23:02 PM
I've got it on 04 cpe carbon black...lines are " slightly " noticeable on top of front fenders...if you're looking for them...! And across hood in the right light/angle...But with CB, it is definetly worth it...I also had a few nicks before install but barely noticable now....Wouldn't have a an M3 without the Clear-bra....Sorry, don't have any pics....

flybigjet
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 12:56:28 AM
Hey flybigjet and Charlie3, what color did you apply the X-pel on? Are the cut-off lines very obvious? Can you send me some pics of your hood w/ the X-pel on it? Definitely appreciate it if you could do so.

I have an 04 Silver Met Grey, hood already has very minor nicks and chips, do they just apply the film right over?

Thanks in advance!

Rick

The clear bra is actually a 3M product- I think Xpel might just be a brand name. There are kits that you can buy that are pre-cut, but you'll most likely get better results with a custom install (the 3M material looks like a huge cylinder of Saran-Wrap). Here it is on Imola Re- it's essentially invisible from more than a few feet away. The areas covered are the hood (up to and including the leading edge of the power dome), front quarter panel tips, complete front clip, headlights, foglights, foglight trim, turn signals, side panels behind front wheels (below side blinker), side mirrors, side rocker panels (below doors), and side panels behind rear wheels (where bumper clip wraps around). It's the first thing I did (literally) to my car when I got it- I think the car had about 15 miles on it.

Also, if you already have chips, before you put on the film, I'd recommend touching up with an autosharp pen; once the bra goes on, you'll never see where the chips were. Go here: autosharppen.com

Hope the info helps. R.

PS: The photo of the hood was taken in my garage under flourescent lighting and flash with a dirty car; it's not the greatest pic, but you can see that the bra line is almost invisible; if the car was clean/waxed, you wouldn't be able to see it at all. R.

Alemania
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 01:25:37 AM
Hey

man that red color looks awesome, great car man!
I almost bought an Imola M5 but went for the M3 instead and I'm glad I did...

I got ClearBra on my 04 silver grey M3 and by all means it is sooo worth it.
the lines are hardly visible. Only after you/they wax your car will you see them more, since wax may stick on the cut line. A toothbrush will clear the wax off that line though and you won't see a thing...

S4 KLLR
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 01:30:25 AM
Hey all,

I'll be picking up my '05 M3 from the dealer (Crevier, SoCal) next week and I asked them to install an OEM alarm and a clear bra.

I got a $1295 quote for the alarm and a $795 quote for the bra.

1) The $1295 seems ourageous. Any advantages to having the alarm dealer installed as opposed to doing it myself and having it subsequently programmed? Is there something new about the '05 alarm that would justify the cost or are they just trying to screw me?

2) I have not gotten any details about the brand or coverage area of the clear bra Crevier installs. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth $795 to have it dealer installed?

Thanks so much. I've been lurking around here a long time and It's great to finally post something...

who'd you work with at crevier and what kind of experiance did you have. did you save off of msrp?

8Clap
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 02:17:31 AM
who'd you work with at crevier and what kind of experiance did you have. did you save off of msrp?

PM sent

capirest
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 07:24:19 AM
Rip off!! Go shop around for both items.

Good luck!

hkuspc40
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 08:23:24 AM
Flybigjet, thanks for postin the pics, I'm pretty close to gettin the clear bra, but everytime I see the hood line in pics, it turns me away from doing so. Did you request the installers to "custom cut" the hood piece so that it goes all the way to the power dome? Or did Xpel have a pre-cut kit that went that far up?

Alemania, who did your install? and how much did it run you?

I commute on the 710 to work and back, and like I-5, there are a ton of big-rigs on that freeway. THanks for the insight and replies guys!

flybigjet
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 03:49:03 PM
Flybigjet, thanks for postin the pics, I'm pretty close to gettin the clear bra, but everytime I see the hood line in pics, it turns me away from doing so. Did you request the installers to "custom cut" the hood piece so that it goes all the way to the power dome? Or did Xpel have a pre-cut kit that went that far up?

Alemania, who did your install? and how much did it run you?

I commute on the 710 to work and back, and like I-5, there are a ton of big-rigs on that freeway. THanks for the insight and replies guys!

My entire kit is custom; NOT pre-cut, and yes, it goes up high enough to cover the front (impactable) area of the power dome. Doing it this way as opposed to one of the pre-cut kits gives you a much cleaner install. Also, the pre-cut kits don't go exactly to the edge of the panels. A custom install avoids that problem, and eliminates a lot of visible cut lines. So- pre-cut kit = lots of visible cut lines. Custom wrap install = hardly any visible cut lines.

As for the cut line on the hood? Seriously, you're obsessing over a very minor thing- it's a teensy bit visible, but is going to look a hell of a lot better than a hood/front clip/etc. peppered with paint chips a year from now. I got my first clear bra put on a car in '99. Since then I've installed them on red, silver, red, carbon fiber, metallic gray, and Imola Red; I'll never have another car without them.

A word on the 3M product: the original film used (say 5ish years ago) tended to yellow over time, as well as have a rather discernable orange peel finish. The newer stuff used today is much improved. No yellowing, and a much clearer finish- when you wax it with the rest of the car, it's essentially invisible (especially if you don't use pre-cut pieces). Seriously, I have the stuff pretty much everywhere you can have the stuff, **AND YOU CAN'T TELL**. The only visible mark is a thin line right along the hood- and that's pretty much visible only when the car is dirty or dusty. A small price to pay to keep your $50K investment looking nice. Also, if it does drive you crazy, it *is* removable; you can peel it off if you want (of course, then the piece you peeled off is ruined, but you *can* do it).

I've *never* heard anyone complain about their clear bra after its been installed. I live in Colorado, which is the "sand and gravel on the road" Capital of the Universe. The difference in the looks of a car with and without a clear bra are marked. A regular car around here looks like the front end got sand blasted after a few years. Not so with the clear bra.

Your car, your choice. Hope the advice helps.

R.

Charlie3
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 04:50:20 PM
Completely agree with every thing ' flybigjet ' stated...just wish I'd have had mine installed when I first got the car...

sk8ermoo
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 08:52:33 PM
Do you guys know of any installers in the socal region who does the whole hood? I ask this because that would get rid of the visible lines you see plus it can protect the whole hood. I say whole hood as in the ENTIRE hood.

flybigjet
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 10:48:56 PM
Do you guys know of any installers in the socal region who does the whole hood? I ask this because that would get rid of the visible lines you see plus it can protect the whole hood. I say whole hood as in the ENTIRE hood.

I'm not sure this is doable; I believe the film comes in 12, 18, and 24 inch rolls; since the hood is wider and longer than 24" you'd have to have several cut lines to ensure full coverage of the hood. Good idea, though. R.

kyky
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 09:10:10 PM

There aren't many installers who can cover the entire hood because they don't have film that large or the experience. Two companies that I know of that can do it though are Premier Mobile and Envisage Design Labs. Both of these companies works on highend and exotics so they are very reputable. They are both located in Cali.

Give Premier a call at (510) 390-6920 and ask for Sam. I used them for a custom wrap on my M3 and my wife's A4. My M3 hood is completely wrapped as well. I had many similiar questions, but they were able to answer everything.

I know I have the info to EDL somewhere, but I just couldn't find it. I'll post it once I figure out where it is.

kyky
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 09:14:47 PM
BTW, in case anyone is wondering, if your installer is using an Xpel kit, that means that the film is precut. I did my research a while ago, and found out that Xpel is the software and not the film itself.

kormaster
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 09:23:30 PM
As far as the alarm go, I installed in myself(ordered from CIrcle or pacific BMW) and took it to the dealer at 1200 service and told them my car wont beep when i unlock my car or lock it. They asked me if i have an alarm and i said yes.

They just reporgrammed it (there is a sheet that you have to fill out) and when i got my car back, it was all done. Free activation! U just gotta play dumb and dont let them know that you installed it. Some dealers are picky about little things like that.... BTW.. i got this at Crevier.... my sales man Danny Nygun is an Son of a B**** and i hate him .. but he gave me a fair deal....

M3_POWER
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 09:44:59 PM
As far as the alarm go, I installed in myself(ordered from CIrcle or pacific BMW) and took it to the dealer at 1200 service and told them my car wont beep when i unlock my car or lock it. They asked me if i have an alarm and i said yes.

They just reporgrammed it (there is a sheet that you have to fill out) and when i got my car back, it was all done. Free activation! U just gotta play dumb and dont let them know that you installed it. Some dealers are picky about little things like that.... BTW.. i got this at Crevier.... my sales man Danny Nygun is an Son of a B**** and i hate him .. but he gave me a fair deal....

Great idea!

esumadi
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:09:02 PM
There aren't many installers who can cover the entire hood because they don't have film that large or the experience. Two companies that I know of that can do it though are Premier Mobile and Envisage Design Labs. Both of these companies works on highend and exotics so they are very reputable. They are both located in Cali.

Give Premier a call at (510) 390-6920 and ask for Sam. I used them for a custom wrap on my M3 and my wife's A4. My M3 hood is completely wrapped as well. I had many similiar questions, but they were able to answer everything.

I know I have the info to EDL somewhere, but I just couldn't find it. I'll post it once I figure out where it is.
Thanks for the info. I'll be giving Sam a call within the next couple of weeks. If i may ask, how much did they charge you to wrap the M3? Also, would you recommend the clear bra if i already have quite a few chips on the car? Thanks again.

sk8ermoo
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 11:26:30 PM

Sounds like these installers are exactly what i'm looking for. My concern is that over time, the panels that are not covered with the bra might look discolored or different than the protected panels. Is this true? Also how much was the install and what city are they located in?

kyky
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:21:31 AM
Sounds like these installers are exactly what i'm looking for. My concern is that over time, the panels that are not covered with the bra might look discolored or different than the protected panels. Is this true? Also how much was the install and what city are they located in?

Hey sk8ermoo,
I actually had the same question when I had my clear bras done. They told me that there will not be any discoloration because the film allows UV rays to penetrate. There were a lot of questions that I asked them. I don't remember all of them, but here is a link that my friend with a Porsche 996 recommended me to.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=179288

kyky
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 01:33:31 AM
By the way, I'm gonna be over at Pacific Porsche tomorrow to possibly pick up a 996. If I get it, I would need to give these guys a call. Maybe we could all get it done at the same time, hehe. We'll see how much they're going to be willing to discount at the dealer tomorrow :dance:

Need4Spd
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 02:11:12 AM
OEM parts can be had for significant discounts by mail order from Pacific BMW or The BMW Store in Cincinnati. It's really easy to install the factory alarm as all the connections are pre-wired and then all you need is activation by the dealer, who usually charges you 1 hr. labor for about 15 min. of hook up time to their computer.

sk8ermoo
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 04:42:45 AM
Hey sk8ermoo,
I actually had the same question when I had my clear bras done. They told me that there will not be any discoloration because the film allows UV rays to penetrate. There were a lot of questions that I asked them. I don't remember all of them, but here is a link that my friend with a Porsche 996 recommended me to.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=179288

Wow i'm extremely interested. It seems like he knows what he's doing. I'm in for a group purchase in the southern orange county area if any of you guys are interested...maybe we should make another thread on this.

8Clap
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:14:19 AM
I'm in for a group buy in the LA (or OC) area.

sk8ermoo
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:29:54 AM
I wonder how many people it would take for them to decrease the price?

speedking
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 07:03:49 AM
I could certainly vouch for their work. If some of you guys remember, I posted my nightmare with two other companies before finding out about these guys from the mercedes board. I went w/ Stongard and these guys pretty much hacked everything up. There were wrinkles and some hair that got in there and ruined the looks of my car. The 3rd time around was even worst when there was lifting along the edges and dirt started collecting in it. When the guys at Premier took the film off, they revealed to my horror that the last company cut the bra on my car and left cut marks! I was going to bring my car back and have that company respray my car. Good thing though, Premier had pro-detailers as well and buffed it out before putting the new bra on. No issues whatsoever. I have a golden retriever and could tell made it difficult for the guys to work on it as I had a lot of hair floating around.......they took the time to lift the film each time dog hair got under. These guys are classy and do top notch work. Pricing is higher than the rest, but in my opinion, this is not something to go cheap. Definitely get what you pay for - I paid $1100 for the first two bras and it was horrendous! I'll post some pics when it clears up here in the Bay.

JB

8Clap
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 10:40:53 AM
I emailed Premier about E46 applications in the LA area and here's a reply from Sam:

First of all, thank you for considering us for your paint protection
solutions. Our company is based out of Northern California, but do
send out our best technicians for group buys anywhere in the world. We will,
in fact, be in LA between Feb 1-5 for the Ferrari crowd. However, we only
have the 1st, 2nd, and 4th left open and several other groups pending for
the rest of these dates. Here are some types of coverage that we offer and
the pricing:

E46 M3:
Xpel Coverage - $645
-Hood bonnet, fender caps, mirrors, and front bumper (only covers up to
2" to the wheel well)

AF European Design - 25% over Xpel's Coverage
-Hood bonnet, fender caps, mirrors, and wheel well to wheel well of the
front bumper

Entire Hood: $290 over Xpel and AF Prices

We are one of 4 companies in the U.S. that carries the AF software that
offers maximum protection and also one of 3 companies that have the
master rolls large enough to wrap the entire hood or other panels. If you
choose to go w/ the AF design, we must hear from you before the 27th,
otherwise, we would not be able to provide you with this design since, we will
be on tour to Arizona on the 28th.

We use Venture Tape exclusively for its excellent clarity, durability
and textile strength. The film comes with a Lifetime Warranty from
bubbling, fading, and cracking vs. 3M's 5 yr warranty.

Please let us know which type of coverage you want and which of the 3
days we have available that you could make it. Thank you.

Best,
Sam

8Clap
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 08:11:51 PM
More info from Sam at Premier regarding Xpel vs. AF coverage and group buy prices. (see above post for reference)

Yes, the difference between the two is the extra 2-3 inches of
coverage.......not very much, but some customers are pretty picky about
this as you could imagine. If you are interested in setting up a group buy,
here's what we'll need:

Keep in mind, that we'll be in LA / OC between Feb. 1-5, but will be
leaving for Arizona this Friday, so it does not give you much time to
set something up.

Group Buy Pricing:

*3-5 cars (xpel): $525.00
*3-5 cars (AF): $655.00

*6-8 cars (xpel): $475.00
*6-8 cars (AF): $595.00

*9 or more (xpel): $445.00
*9 or more (AF): $555.00

We would need a minimum of 3 cars to get a group buy going for socal.
In addition, we would prefer to have all 3 cars to be at one location and
to have a garage.

sk8ermoo
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 10:01:25 PM
More info from Sam at Premier regarding Xpel vs. AF coverage and group buy prices. (see above post for reference)

Yes, the difference between the two is the extra 2-3 inches of
coverage.......not very much, but some customers are pretty picky about
this as you could imagine. If you are interested in setting up a group buy,
here's what we'll need:

Keep in mind, that we'll be in LA / OC between Feb. 1-5, but will be
leaving for Arizona this Friday, so it does not give you much time to
set something up.

Group Buy Pricing:

*3-5 cars (xpel): $525.00
*3-5 cars (AF): $655.00

*6-8 cars (xpel): $475.00
*6-8 cars (AF): $595.00

*9 or more (xpel): $445.00
*9 or more (AF): $555.00

We would need a minimum of 3 cars to get a group buy going for socal.
In addition, we would prefer to have all 3 cars to be at one location and
to have a garage.

Very nice info 8clap. I will know by tonight if I can go in on this. I'm down for the AF kit including the entire hood.

hkuspc40
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 10:44:12 PM
Hey 8Clap, I'm with sk8ermoo, AF kit including the entire hood. Please specify time, date, and location so we can all meet up and protect our front ends! Let me know your confirmation method and I'll respond. PM me.

Thanx for setting this up.
Rick

sk8ermoo
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 12:57:19 AM
Sweet we have 3...that will be enough. I'll know by the end of tonight if I can do it. It will have to be the 4th. I have another question. My car's around 4 months old and has a couple chips on the front bumper. I don't see any on the hood as of yet. The chips are really really minor and can only be seen if you really look for them. Will these show up underneath the clear bra?

8Clap
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 01:15:13 AM
flybigjet suggested the autosharp pen to cover up the chips. Maybe you can give it a shot...

A quote by flybigjet earlier in the thread:

"Also, if you already have chips, before you put on the film, I'd recommend touching up with an autosharp pen; once the bra goes on, you'll never see where the chips were. Go here: autosharppen.com"

speedking
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:21:14 AM
Wow, looks like they got that new software they were mentioning a while ago. I'd go w/ the AF if I were you guys. I have the Xpel on my cars, but could definitely use that extra coverage on the side. I paid a little over $750 for mine w/ extra pieces here and there, so you guys are getting a deal on this. Now I wish I had waited. :peace:

sk8ermoo
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:53:02 AM
This will be tough. I now don't know if I can do it on the 4th. Ideally I would be able to do it on the 5th but that date is not available. I just found out I have a midterm on the 4th so there will be no time for me to go back home to do the installation. I can do it any weekend coming up on February though for future reference. I'll contact Sam and try to arrange things on here when that weekend comes up for me. Sorry guys.

8Clap
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:57:04 AM
That's cool. I'm interested so let me know about any available dates. Maybe a new thread for a group buy will get more participants...

sk8ermoo
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 05:19:14 AM
Oops I don't have a midterm the 4th. It's this Friday and I thought that was gonna be the 4th haha. I hope I don't do as well on the midterm as I do on trying to remember dates. I've talked to Sam and started a seperate more specific thread to see if we can get something going. Here's the link to the thread:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=54760

Premier
Thu, Feb-10-2005, 11:39:29 PM
Just posted some pics of the clear bra installations tour for socal - http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=56654

Thanks again for all who participated..........we will be back in several wks! Perhaps, we could all do dinner again!

t3stman
Sun, Mar-06-2005, 10:08:46 PM
For those that got their clear bra installed from premier how do you guys like it? Please post any pics because i'd likely do the same when my car gets here late april.

thanks,
thomas

chinglung
Mon, Mar-07-2005, 01:36:30 AM
alarm is too much ..

in the bay area, it cost 895 ...
clear bra 800 ... no bumper though ...

Does anyone know how long clear bra last ?
My right side above the singal is getting loosen ...

t3stman
Mon, Mar-07-2005, 02:09:45 AM
I'm sure it all depends on how well you take care of your car etc. but i'd be interesting to find out too.

Premier
Mon, Mar-07-2005, 05:05:20 AM
The film needs to be cleaned and waxed as you would with the paint..........if kept well, it will look the way it did when first installed for the life of the film........but of course, minus the nicks and scrapes from years of highway abuse.

Here are some references from other boards:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=189366&highlight=bra

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=10284

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153528

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153151

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50417

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45094

http://davepaden.net/z/clearbra/default.htm

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31211&highlight=bra

Feel free to email or call us if you have any further questions.