Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : the nightmare continues...

bender73
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 11:50:57 PM
my M3 has been in the body shop for ~1 month

new developments...

the rear suspension has 2 damaged parts and i come to find out that because a suspension is considered a "wear" item the insurance company will not pay for those parts 100% and they will deduct depreciation...the rest comes out of my pocket. pretty fuking fair, huh? some company ruins my car and i have to pay a percentage. i wasn't even driving and it was on their flatbed!!!

more...

this particular body shop refuses to do business directly with insurance companies so even though my car is ready for pick-up (finally) i have no check from the insurance company yet. the total damage was ~$3,000 and my options are to wait for the check while the body shop holds my car hostage or pay the ~$2,400 due and keep the insurance check.

lastly...

the insurance check will likely not cover all the stuff the body shop did because of "wear" items like the suspension and right rear wheel...so i'll have to pay out of pocket for the balance.

summary...

my car gets damaged by another party and i have to pay in for some of this damage!!!

...not to mention i've had no M3 for ~1 month and while in the shop they received a defective suspension part as well as got the wrong part (all of which caused a delay)

who knows when i'll get my fuking car and i will never use this body shop again (and they're supposed to be really good)...i mean, how can they not deal with insurance companies and expect the customer to show up with thousands of dollars? i've never had to deal with this with the other body shop i used as they simply got paid from the insurance company and gave me my car.

i am fed up

Challenger 800
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 11:56:57 PM
WHAT!!! The body shop does not deal w/ insur companies wtf??? Thats like a Dr. not taking pay'ts from Blue Cross Blue Shield. That is crazy and sorry for your issues. I have never asked a body shop how they get pd, just assumed the insur co. payed them. Learn something everyday.

bender73
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 12:01:25 AM
WHAT!!! The body shop does not deal w/ insur companies wtf??? Thats like a Dr. not taking pay'ts from Blue Cross Blue Shield. That is crazy and sorry for your issues. I have never asked a body shop how they get pd, just assumed the insur co. payed them. Learn something everyday.

and this is a very good body shop from what i hear!!! they are owned by the BMW dealer in my area and do a ton of work on high end cars...mostly BMW, MB, and audi i believe.

BMW F1
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 12:02:13 AM
I hearya, not good at all. Im sure we all have repair shop horror stories, not good at all. Well hopefully u will get the cheque soon and be able to move on.
All the best with the future.
Keep us in the loop.
Adam.

Sirius
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 12:10:38 AM
this particular body shop refuses to do business directly with insurance companies so even though my car is ready for pick-up (finally) i have no check from the insurance company yet. the total damage was ~$3,000 and my options are to wait for the check while the body shop holds my car hostage or pay the ~$2,400 due and keep the insurance check.

We did the same thing at work with certain insurance companies who had a history of not paying. Its the shops CYA move.

the insurance check will likely not cover all the stuff the body shop did because of "wear" items like the suspension and right rear wheel...so i'll have to pay out of pocket for the balance.

Thats called betterment, its a common practice by an insurance company. That 'should' have been explained to you. The insurance companies responsibility is to restore your car to pre-accident conditions. Things such as tires can't be bought used, but since at the time of the accident, said item already has 40% use on it, so the insurance company will charge you for part of the cost of a new part.

Alot of shops won't release the car unless payment is made in full. Thats the shop watching its own rear end, so they don't get f'ed.

ninook
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 12:27:40 AM
Personally, I would not deal with a repair facility if they did not deal with a reputable insurance company. I'd wonder why. Are they reporting costs that are not valid? A big red flag would go up in my mind. Sounds shady.

daytonaviolet
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 12:39:01 AM
that sucks man.. give your body shop this for me http://members.cox.net/morpheus91/images/icons/flipa.gif

absinthe78
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 12:57:24 AM
Personally, I would not deal with a repair facility if they did not deal with a reputable insurance company. I'd wonder why. Are they reporting costs that are not valid? A big red flag would go up in my mind. Sounds shady.

That sounds shady you should here about what my insurancde approved body shop does....

Sirius
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 02:22:00 AM
That sounds shady you should here about what my insurancde approved body shop does....

After working in the auto repair industry, I would honestly avoid shops that are in bed with insurance companies. Why you ask? They are the ones who have agreed to give the insurance co. Discounts. How do they give them discounts? They don't use OEM parts, they use aftermarket/used when at all possible, they cut corners.. etc.

Its the shops that deal a hard bargin with the insurance co. that I would go to. The ones that refuse to give discounts to the insurance companies, refuse to use aftermarket/non-OEM parts.

M3_shin
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 02:26:09 AM
I would contact a lawyer...you should not be paying a cent for damage to your car done by another party.

boxed
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 04:28:31 AM
I would contact a lawyer...you should not be paying a cent for damage to your car done by another party.

yup.

and didnt you get the quote for like 500 bucks for the fix?...or was it someone else?...

Rev8k
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 04:33:11 AM
the rear suspension has 2 damaged parts and i come to find out that because a suspension is considered a "wear" item the insurance company will not pay for those parts 100% and they will deduct depreciation...the rest comes out of my pocket.

That is a blatant lie...

luxautodetail
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 04:35:02 AM
trevor...i agree w/ ya 110%....

04tytaniumsylvr
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 04:49:36 AM
How'd this shop do on the repairs ?

As for the bill, have an attorney review your contract. I'm sure there is a disclosure that states conditions of the estimate... In that case you're liable. Man, good luck to you... that blows

04tytaniumsylvr
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 04:54:52 AM
Another approach. Keep your cool...

Write them a check,

pick up your car,

cancel the check,

tell them to fcuk off and

have your attorney consult the shop direct.

bender73
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 12:01:13 AM
thanks everyone

well, i got my car back...just in time for 6-12" of snow!!!

the bodyshop made an exception and agreed to give me my car without payment and will wait for the flatbed's insurance company to pay them.

as far as out of pocket expenses (known as betterment)...these are expenses that one must pay on any item that depreciates. the insurance company is ONLY responsible to pay for repairs in order to get the car in the condition it was prior to the accident. so, for example, if you have a bald tire and the tire is ruined by someone else in an accident then the insurance company will pay for a brand new tire but deduct a percentage (that you must pay) as you're technically not entitled to a brand new tire when your tire was bald at the time of the accident. you follow?

i have a 2001 M3 that had suspension damage as well as wheel damage...both considered "wearable" items. i got a new wheel (~$600) but i will have to eat some of the cost since my damaged wheel was not in brand new condition. sucks, but its reality.

the good news is that i spoke with the flatbed's insurance company today and they told me that they will take care of these out of pocket charges...as to how much i don't know as of yet. hopefully, i won't have to pay anything.

bottom line is that i now have my car and the bodyshop did excellent work...from what i saw as its like 10 degrees outside and i was way too friggin cold to stare at my car.

what a friggin nightmare this has been!!!

boxed
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 02:57:22 AM
sounds good man, hopefully things will go as follow!

bender73
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 03:14:52 AM
thanks!!!

man, i fell in love with this car "again"

after ~1 month with a ford taurus the M3 feels like an F1 car :D