Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : When buying an e46 m3

LudjakR1
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 11:05:43 PM
Hey guys. I have been waiting years now to buy my M, well i am almost there.. i have been searching for some .. and looks like i can afford a 2001-2002 .. i have found few 2002 m3's for 38,000 and they are willing to go down on the price, i am looking to spend about 35,000 though.

It looks like alot of you guys here have some knowledge. so i wanted to ask the following.

1. What should i look for when buying used M3 (2001 or 2002) If it has been thru recall? .. how the breaks on it are? tires? oil changes? carfax?

2. Now when test driving it, what is there to look for while test driving it.

3. what is a good milege for 2001, and what is for a 2002

4. where should i look for M's .. ebay, m3forum, autotrader?? where else

5. please provide me with more info that i need to find out about it.. before purhcasing it.. thanx guys

Mash3
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 11:25:44 PM
Glad to try and help you out.

1. Yes, it is imperative that you thoroughly check a used M3's service history, including recalls. There were a few runs of the S54 engine that were recalled due to bad bearings from a supllier. Do a search on the forums for more info.

2. Nothing unusual to look for for on a test drive that I can think of. I'd get a good feel for the clutch and its condition, and just listen and feel for anything wierd.

3. Don't know... I have 25k on my 2004, so mileage needs vary. Best to buy one still under warranty I guess.

4. Dealers (haggle like crazy on used cars), BMWSCCA members, car shows. I'd never buy a $40k+ car sight unseen. Have it checked carefully for collision repairs. I would go for a Carfax report.

5. Other than the notorious engine failiures the M3 is a solid car. But because it is a sporty/sports car lots of them on the market have been abused. Ask around for advice, do a little research and you'll be OK.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Greg

LudjakR1
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 11:29:42 PM
Glad to try and help you out.

1. Yes, it is imperative that you thoroughly check a used M3's service history, including recalls. There were a few runs of the S54 engine that were recalled due to bad bearings from a supllier. Do a search on the forums for more info.

2. Nothing unusual to look for for on a test drive that I can think of. I'd get a good feel for the clutch and its condition, and just listen and feel for anything wierd.

3. Don't know... I have 25k on my 2004, so mileage needs vary. Best to buy one still under warranty I guess.

4. Dealers (haggle like crazy on used cars), BMWSCCA members, car shows. I'd never buy a $40k+ car sight unseen. Have it checked carefully for collision repairs. I would go for a Carfax report.

5. Other than the notorious engine failiures the M3 is a solid car. But because it is a sporty/sports car lots of them on the market have been abused. Ask around for advice, do a little research and you'll be OK.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Greg

thanx alot greg, i appreciate that... yeah i am doing my reasearch.. but always need help heheh .. tx buddy

Mash3
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 11:42:48 PM
No problemo.

I was too chicken to buy a used M3 because the break-in period seems to be so critical and it's something you have no control over as a used car buyer. It seems that the guys who thrashed their engines got limited life and burn oil. I was very careful and mine burns no oil at all. The engine doesn't really feel broken in until around 10k, btw.

I guess the biggest point is to check the car's history as best you can and try to assess the seller: a 21 year kid with burnout marks in the driveway would be a bad sign, LOL.

Also: Check the tires for wear. If the rears are more worn than the fronts the guy probably does a lot of burnouts. It is normal for these cars to wear the outside of the fronts quickly if the car is driven hard at all because of the moderate negative camber and built-in understeer they have. My original Contis front outsides were very worn just from highway onramps before I replaced them, so don't necessarily take that as a sign of abuse

Greg

ryanK
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 12:03:28 AM
Check all the panels to make sure they've not been repainted. And make sure it accelerates and brakes straight...no pulling. Also, look for little things, like scuffs on the door sills, and scratches near the ignition....If they were carefull about getting in out of the car, and so on, they probably cared about the car. And DON'T get caught up in the moment! If something seems wierd, there's a reason...There will ALWAYS be more used M3's...

:thumbsup: GOOD LUCK!!

LudjakR1
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 01:11:46 AM
thanx guys.... wow this helps really...ryank, i am trying to control that oh man i want it this and that without really checking for lil things as you have said.. how they get in the car and out ..i will do my best on checking it out first... the only thing that kinda gets me is .. its hard to find an M3 in Jacksonville, florida.. so the ones i saw that i thought prices were fair are usually 500-1000 miles away.. so i dont wanna go all the away and then here weird noises and tire wear , scratches etc... lets hope everything goes fine.. ive been praying hehe

BeLikeMike
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 03:26:01 AM
Dude, I have the same problem.Some guys are posting that there cars (2004) are worth $45,000. No where in the south florida area i can find a 01-02 for under $50,000.I am looking at a vert, ANY help with location and prices will help us out.

M3_shin
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 03:32:24 AM
You should definetly by able to find a 2001 M3 for about 35,000 if you search, and also an 02 for 38-40 grand. I think buying a used car is the way to go as long as you find the right deal...I bought my car new and took the hit with depreciation, wish I bought used.

Simply spec out your car the way you'd want, i.e. Ext. color, interior color.. options, and try to find a car that matches your wants as close as possible...with low mileage. Haggle the price to your range. Make sure all the recalls have been completed. Inspect the car for scratches and dents, take the car for a test drive, take it to a trusted mechanic to look over the car. Or you can save yourself some headache and find a low mileage car still under warranty. I believe all the 01-02's are under a 6yr/100k warranty.
Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:

jimmie48
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 03:34:08 AM
When you find a car you are interested please do this: Try hard to find out who the dealer was that serviced the car last, odds are they did all of the service and recalls. Sometimes this will show up on Carfax, or if you buy from a dealer, they will be able to tell you anyways. Call the dealer, ask what the car has had done to it, they will be more than happy to tell you what recalls have been done, service, etc., in my experience the service managers have been great. This is great knowledge to have, plus if you have the VIN, you can get more info by calling BMW, just in case you cant find the dealer names. Do a carfax, drive it, do a walk around, and then haggle. I bought a late build 02 the dealer was asking 42.9 and I got it for 38.5, the idiot dealer did not even know(that I found out earlier by calling BMW) that it was certified and that the certified warranty follows the VIN! Good luck, and remember, its your money, your car, if there is any hesitation, walk out, and keep looking! :beer:

M3-peat
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 03:35:34 AM
Dude, I have the same problem.Some guys are posting that there cars (2004) are worth $45,000. No where in the south florida area i can find a 01-02 for under $50,000.I am looking at a vert, ANY help with location and prices will help us out.

goto: chariotsofpb.com
there's a vert for 49k
03 white w/ 17k 6mt
they give you carfax info for free.

I got mine there and had a good buying experience with Chris.
Tell him Clint sent you.
:beer:

LudjakR1
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 09:34:58 PM
i found one today and it was 2002 w 15k.. silve/gray with imola red interior ... he wanted 36,900 for it.. i called him he told me it was theft recovery but nothing was replaced he said .. what would u do guys? take a trip to look at it.. i dont want a car that has a rebuilt title..

ryanK
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 12:00:05 AM
i found one today and it was 2002 w 15k.. silve/gray with imola red interior ... he wanted 36,900 for it.. i called him he told me it was theft recovery but nothing was replaced he said .. what would u do guys? take a trip to look at it.. i dont want a car that has a rebuilt title..

Wait rebuilt title??? As in salvage.. Probably a no go, but if it's not too (relative of course) far, defintiely go LOOK at it...Look at and drive as many as you can. Pretty soon you'll be a pro a spotting the cream puffs (also relative!) Just take your time, I know you WANT one tomorrow, but you'll be much happier when you find a well taken care of car.

LudjakR1
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 05:27:20 AM
Wait rebuilt title??? As in salvage.. Probably a no go, but if it's not too (relative of course) far, defintiely go LOOK at it...Look at and drive as many as you can. Pretty soon you'll be a pro a spotting the cream puffs (also relative!) Just take your time, I know you WANT one tomorrow, but you'll be much happier when you find a well taken care of car.

yeah i passed on that m3 i was like slow down.. yes it has salvage title due to theft recovery.. so i passed calmed down a lil bit...