Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Any recommendations on breaking in a new M3????

tdoyledesign
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 09:15:18 PM
I just got my '05 M3 last night. As far as I understand, break in is 1200 miles, then first service. For those 1200 miles, don't redline or go to fast. Also don't keep the engine on a constant rpm for too long...try to vary the RPMs. The car was REALLY slow last night....and i couldn't go above 5000rpm (which is fine by me). Someone told me the computer (?!!?!) won't allow you to get full throttle, etc. until the break in. ANyone know about this? It feels like it has 120 bhp. If i push the sport button it wakes up a bit. The new ones i test drove were much faster either way, sport button or not. When does this go away? thanks for any responses!!!!

Doctor Love
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 09:39:25 PM
Does it say "325ci" on the trunk? :wave:

DaBean
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 09:49:18 PM
Follow the instructinos, and you'll be fine

BooRadley
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 10:00:15 PM
Mine was plenty fast from the day I got it ( at least as fast as it could be below 5500 rpm). You shouldn't use sport mode until after the break in period.

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 10:05:53 PM
I kept mine under 4000 rpms.

mathews
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 10:23:44 PM
Do lots of this.

Red330I
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 10:44:18 PM
Don't use the SPORT button until the break-in is over!!!! The car will let you red-line but you shouldn't. Keep it under 5500RPMs and 105mph. There should be a sticker in the upper left hand corner of the windshield that goes into more detail.

Congrats on the car!!!

PhuckShop
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 11:36:52 PM
Recomended break-in procedure:
Press in clutch,
Shift into 1st gear,
Floor accelerator,
REV to 5400,
Dump clutch,
When the Tach needle stops moving,
Press in clutch,
Keep foot on accelerator,
Shift to second,
Dump clutch,
Continue repeating until you find 6th gear or run out of asphalt.......

Or.....You could just follow the instructions on the windshield....you're choice.. :wave:

BMW F1
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 12:18:23 AM
Follow the BMW Approved Instructions........................ easy fixed and just think, its only for 1200Miles or 2000Km's no biggy in mine.
Adam.

neuralracing
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 02:29:28 PM
Does the "don't use sport mode" apply to the break in process for the rod bearing recall?

Sirius
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 04:22:36 PM
Lol you guys.

Theres a sticker in the upper left part of your windshield that has specfic break-in instructions. Follow thoes and you'll be fine.

BigHat
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:15:55 PM
I agree the factory break-in procedures are the way to go. You may ALSO wish to slowly work up to redline over the next 1800 miles or so.

Again, this isn't based on any facts, but I remember hearing comments about working up over gradually. That's what I opted to do. I still got to do fairly spirited driving and ever increasing surprises from my car.

I can say one thing for sure. Doing this hasn't hurt my oil usage. I haven't burned a drop in 3,000 miles (and over 7 months) of city and highway use.
Now and then you hear of others needing to add oil that may or not not be based on hitting it hard during or immediately after the first 1200 miles

ryanK
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:17:44 PM
When I had my alfa's engine rebuilt I was advised to vary the rpm (no cruise control) and that hilly roads were the best as they vary the load on the engine. Also engine braking was good (keeping the rpms on the lower half of the tach of course.) This was a freshly built engine and setting the rings properly was very imporant. As I understand it, new cars' engines are pre-run at the factory through the real critical break-in period, so just take easy as bmw recommends and you should be fine. Have FUN!

smg kid
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 10:31:04 PM
i better turn stop using sport mode. i dont rev it past 5500 though. almost 1,200 miles on it. I was thinking of testing out the launch control. and trying to smoke the tires a bit, after my 1,200 miles? would that ok to do?

GregMM
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 12:57:43 AM
i better turn stop using sport mode. i dont rev it past 5500 though. almost 1,200 miles on it. I was thinking of testing out the launch control. and trying to smoke the tires a bit, after my 1,200 miles? would that ok to do?

There's no issue with using the sport mode during break-in. It doesn't do anything except alter the throttle mapping so just keep the revs under 5500 and follow the other procdures and you'll have no problems.

mickstobes
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 01:31:49 AM
Follow the instructions in the owner's manual.

Also, where are people getting the info about not using the Sport Mode button? Is this BMW procedure or personal technique?

onejune
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 03:48:44 AM
Wait..you said the engine wouldn't rev past around 5k rpms? If that's the case, you might have been in "limp mode". It's a common problem with our cars that you might want to have checked out. I just had my throttle bodies controller replaced on my 04 due to similar problems.

Rev8k
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 04:42:23 AM
Follow the instructions in the owner's manual.

Also, where are people getting the info about not using the Sport Mode button? Is this BMW procedure or personal technique?
And don't use cruise control...

mickstobes
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 05:09:59 AM
And don't use cruise control...

Actually, the break-in procedure doesn't prohibit using cruise control. However, it does say to vary your speed.

///M3PIMP
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 05:54:25 AM
i got mine euro delivery - my euro contact in munich programmed my nav so i would drive thru the mountains in garmish germany or austria rather than jumping straight on the autoban saying "you'll enjoy the curves better than trying to stay under the speed limit of the break-in" i laughed but he was right!
within a days though i had driven from munich to kalamata greece via italy and ferry boat , i got the first service done in athens and on the ride home (kalamata) i hit 145mph and used the whole rpm range, but only to the limitations of THE STICKER IN THE TOP LEFT CORNER OF THE WINDSHIELD! lol lol lol
good luck w/ the ///m its alot of fun!
ps i peeled the sticker off after the breakin period along w/ all the airbag warning stickers ---dash + visors

sorry about the lengthy reply :peace:

///M3PIMP
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 05:59:38 AM
sorry about the pic size guys
im not too good at compootas but i can drive like a mofo!!!!! :agree:

A3r0pusH
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 08:06:38 AM
sport button is a no no.....the break in period is WORTH the wait....you may not be "able" to see what the car can do right now but after they first service your car won't feel like JUST 120bhp...........