Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : daytime lights?

jcw
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 01:08:27 AM
I'm debating whether to have the daytime lights on. Other drivers probably notice you more, but so do the cops. What are pros and cons?

SpecialK
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 01:10:43 AM
You pretty much answered them. Safety versus being nabbed.

Gadgetman
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 02:00:44 AM
My DRLs are turned off because I like the using my aftermarket DDEs from UMNITZA.

DaBean
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 02:32:42 AM
My DRLs are turned off because I like the using my aftermarket DDEs from UMNITZA.

That's what I do...

I usually have my xenons turned on during the day for added safety anyways, although I do that a little less now due to the DDEs.. but I've gotten used to my dash being lit up...

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 02:42:09 AM
They look better turned on.

DaBean
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 02:42:35 AM
I beg to differ...

acitydweller
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 12:08:38 PM
its all a matter of taste.

I have DDE's from UMNITZA with my DRL's on. They are fine for me as my insurance company gives me a slight discount for having the DRL's here in NYC.

Peterp
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 01:43:31 PM
If you've had them set to ON by the dealer, how do you turn them off?

DaBean
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 01:45:00 PM
You have to go back to the dealer. It's a quick reprogram, but it's not a DIY

acitydweller: How do you get your insurance to give you a discount like that? Do you think that if I tell them I have the DDEs, which effectively act as DRL, I can also get a slight discount?

M3_shin
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 02:12:02 PM
I got mine programmed to be on by the dealer, I like the look of it, very clean in opinion...I think everyone is hung up on everything being xenon and everything being bright white.

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 02:13:46 PM
I beg to differ...
Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one... :beer:

Kik
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 09:40:19 PM
I'm debating whether to have the daytime lights on. Other drivers probably notice you more, but so do the cops. What are pros and cons?

03 M3 w/SMG. I have them on. You have them on for bad drivers which there
are a lot of out there. Knowing a lot of cops, they
believe that you are trying to be safe and are more apt to
leave you alone.

sk8ermoo
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 11:23:46 PM
DRLs are stupid. If someone can't see you when there's enough sunlight to not turn headlights on then they are retarded. How can someone miss a CAR. I understand at night why headlights help other drivers see cars, but during broad daylight? That being said...mine are on and I will turn them off next time I go to the dealer. What a waste of a bulb.

DaBean
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 12:49:03 AM
03 M3 w/SMG. I have them on. You have them on for bad drivers which there
are a lot of out there. Knowing a lot of cops, they
believe that you are trying to be safe and are more apt to
leave you alone.

I always have my headlight on anyways.. even with the DDEs... so that's a good cop demagnetizer

dizzy
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 12:58:32 AM
DRLs are stupid. If someone can't see you when there's enough sunlight to not turn headlights on then they are retarded. How can someone miss a CAR. I understand at night why headlights help other drivers see cars, but during broad daylight? That being said...mine are on and I will turn them off next time I go to the dealer. What a waste of a bulb.

How can someone miss a car? Well, how do you think accidents happen? Afterwards, its either "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you" or they try to blame you. Either way, it doesn't matter how retarded they are, you still have a broken car. When I got my silver S2000, within the first month I had several people almost change lanes into me, then I started turning on the headlights all the time. I haven't had a problem since. Now that I'm getting a silver grey M, I told my dealer to turn ON the DRL's. A waste of bulbs? I consider it an insurance policy against the many retarded drivers out there, the roads are full of 'em.

A smashed M3, now that's a waste...

-David

Rev8k
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 01:59:56 AM
DRL's are great and that is why insurance companies give discounts for them.

sk8ermoo
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 03:52:25 AM
How can someone miss a car? Well, how do you think accidents happen? Afterwards, its either "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you" or they try to blame you. Either way, it doesn't matter how retarded they are, you still have a broken car. When I got my silver S2000, within the first month I had several people almost change lanes into me, then I started turning on the headlights all the time. I haven't had a problem since. Now that I'm getting a silver grey M, I told my dealer to turn ON the DRL's. A waste of bulbs? I consider it an insurance policy against the many retarded drivers out there, the roads are full of 'em.

A smashed M3, now that's a waste...

-David

I see your point. Although if someone has trouble seeing your actual car I doubt DRLs can aid the retard any further. I have had many people attempt to lane change right into me when I had DRLs. My point is...well I don't think they do much at all. If an accident was going to happen, DRL or not, then I think it would've happened anyways.

laxplaya21
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 04:19:33 AM
my insurance company gives me a slight discount for having the DRL's here in NYC.

They will give you the discount whether or not they DRL's are activated or not. They just know the car is equipped with them and that alone will get you your discount. I personally hate DRL, and would never want them on my car. I also have the DDE, and they definitley are bright enough to be a safety feature.

dizzy
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 04:42:37 AM
I see your point. Although if someone has trouble seeing your actual car I doubt DRLs can aid the retard any further. I have had many people attempt to lane change right into me when I had DRLs. My point is...well I don't think they do much at all. If an accident was going to happen, DRL or not, then I think it would've happened anyways.

I think a common scenario would be that I'm driving faster than someone a fair distance ahead on my right. They want to change into my lane, check their mirror, and see a car in their way. After a few seconds it passes, and they think its now clear since I was too far away a few seconds ago. They now change, assuming its clear, but still do a cursory glance, but not really paying attention since they already think it's clear. Now I've caught up and I'm right in their blindspot. My car is dark silver and can blend in if they aren't paying enough attention. My DRL's could be enough to catch their eye. I admit that this applies to silver/grey cars much more than white/black/color cars, as silver does tend to blend into the background much more than other colors.

-David

dizzy
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 04:45:30 AM
I personally hate DRL, and would never want them on my car.

Not to pry, but why? Lucky you don't live in Canada. All cars up there have to have DRL's by law.

-David

fcboarder1
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 07:16:06 AM
i leave the xenons on almost all the time as well as the fogs. i just think it looks cooler that way. i dont care if it makes less soccer moms hit me or not.

daihard
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 11:17:35 AM
I always have my headlight on anyways.. even with the DDEs... so that's a good cop demagnetizer
The next time I see an LSB M3 with E36 forged rims and snow tires on, I will make sure the headlights are on. ;)

I have my DRLs turned on. My next goal is to have the dealership change the intensity of the DRLs to match those with the Canadian model.

Cruzer
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 11:49:29 AM
i leave the xenons on almost all the time as well as the fogs. i just think it looks cooler that way. i dont care if it makes less soccer moms hit me or not.
Same here, I have mine disable at the dealer before I took delivery.

sk8ermoo
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 12:00:14 PM
Okay well my point is...if they can't see your car in the first place...no matter what color car you have...then you're gonna get hit. Seriously if they're that stupid they're gonna hit somebody. But seriously...who cares ;)

daihard
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 08:20:58 PM
Okay well my point is...if they can't see your car in the first place...no matter what color car you have...then you're gonna get hit. Seriously if they're that stupid they're gonna hit somebody. But seriously...who cares ;)
There are times of the day when some drivers turn on their lights while others don't. There are weathers like that, too. Not everyone on the road has the kind of good judgment that you may have.

Why do you think the motorcycles have their headlights on all the time?

Daver
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 09:48:33 PM
DRLs do make you more visible, even during the day. Shade happens. Clouds happen.

BUT, our DRLs are high beams. Blinding the people you're trying to be more visible to isn't exactly the goal of DRLs. We have a really bad DRL implementation on our cars using the high beams.

Drive with low-beams on instead of having your high-beam DRLs activated. Has the bonus of turning on your taillights for added visibility to the rear also. It's just a lot smarter.

-Daver

sk8ermoo
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 10:00:31 PM
There are times of the day when some drivers turn on their lights while others don't. There are weathers like that, too. Not everyone on the road has the kind of good judgment that you may have.

Why do you think the motorcycles have their headlights on all the time?

Yea I can understand why motorcycles have their headlights on because given sunlight, they're still hard to see. Their headlights are very noticeable though and makes sense why they do it. On a freakin car that's a bit different. It doesn't hurt to have DRLs, but I don't think it helps either. Are you saying that DRLs are for those who turn on their headlights late in the transition from day to night? ...say around 5:30pm during winter time. During bad weather yes I turn on my low beams too. Oh well i'm done talking about this topic now.

dizzy
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 10:30:43 PM
DRLs do make you more visible, even during the day. Shade happens. Clouds happen.

BUT, our DRLs are high beams. Blinding the people you're trying to be more visible to isn't exactly the goal of DRLs. We have a really bad DRL implementation on our cars using the high beams.

Drive with low-beams on instead of having your high-beam DRLs activated. Has the bonus of turning on your taillights for added visibility to the rear also. It's just a lot smarter.

-Daver

Seriously? I didn't know they were the high beams... that is kinda silly, low beams are fine. How easy is it to turn the dash lights back up when you switch the headlights on. On my S2k, the dash light button is in a real awkward place, requiring me to string my hand thru the wheel and it has to be held down for 3 seconds. PITA. I still do it everytime I get in the car...

-David

daihard
Sun, Jan-23-2005, 10:36:26 PM
The high beams with reduced intensity. And in the U.S. it's "more reduced" than in Canada. I don't know exactly how much more, but I'm soon going to find out from the dealership.

Red330I
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 04:49:30 AM
Mine came activated from the dealer. I plan to have them de-activated when my 1200 mile service is done.

Rev8k
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 12:14:51 PM
It doesn't hurt to have DRLs, but I don't think it helps either.
I think you're just trying to justify why you don't have the DRL's activated. If they WERE activated, you would try to justify that as well...

sk8ermoo
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 05:00:52 AM
Actually I have them activated, nice thinking though.

In fact here's a quote "that being said...mine are on and I will turn them off next time I go to the dealer. What a waste of a bulb."

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.