Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Powerchip Software Installed

craigdobs
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 07:26:02 PM
So, I have been talking about it for quite a while, and yesterday I took the plunge and called Joel at Powerchip. Before I get to the actual install, let me tell you that Powerchips is a total class act. Never, ever, ever before have I had the opportunity to work with such a professional company. NEVER!

They were on the ball from the first phone call, to my frantic freakout call when I couldn't get the software to e-mail, a problem with my computer, not anything to do with them.

Anyway, the laptop arrives with detailed instructions on how to download my software to the computer. This whole process takes about 5 minutes. When I finally got the software e-mailed, it was back within one hour, modified and ready to go. I uploaded it to the car in the same was as it was downloaded, and presto!, it was finished.

Powerchips makes it so easy to do everything. The laptop was shipped in a briefcase, with the return shipping label inside. I did the dirty work, put the computer back in the box, and called FEDEX. I had it here for less than three hours.

So, onto the car:
Here is what I have on the car:
1. Carbonio Cold Air Intake
2. Superspring X-pipe no resonator
3. A.C. Schnitzer exhaust

So far, the car feels "better." Everything happens more quickly, smoothly, and responsively. I had very real expectations for this software, knowing that the car was not going to become a 500 HP monster. Rather, I was expecting to feel like the car is now a complete package; the software was just the icing on the cake.

I do not want to say too much at this time; I will give another review as soon as I have driven it some more.

Thanks Powerchip for the help!

A+++ all the way. I will post again tomorrow on this same thread to let you know how it adapts to the car!

-Craig

msweet
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 07:33:35 PM
I had the same experience.

M3@NYC
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 07:33:50 PM
Is the laptop method priced the same as when you send in your ECU?

DJ9
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 07:36:23 PM
So, I have been talking about it for quite a while, and yesterday I took the plunge and called Joel at Powerchip. Before I get to the actual install, let me tell you that Powerchips is a total class act. Never, ever, ever before have I had the opportunity to work with such a professional company. NEVER!

They were on the ball from the first phone call, to my frantic freakout call when I couldn't get the software to e-mail, a problem with my computer, not anything to do with them.

Anyway, the laptop arrives with detailed instructions on how to download my software to the computer. This whole process takes about 5 minutes. When I finally got the software e-mailed, it was back within one hour, modified and ready to go. I uploaded it to the car in the same was as it was downloaded, and presto!, it was finished.

Powerchips makes it so easy to do everything. The laptop was shipped in a briefcase, with the return shipping label inside. I did the dirty work, put the computer back in the box, and called FEDEX. I had it here for less than three hours.

So, onto the car:
Here is what I have on the car:
1. Carbonio Cold Air Intake
2. Superspring X-pipe no resonator
3. A.C. Schnitzer exhaust

So far, the car feels "better." Everything happens more quickly, smoothly, and responsively. I had very real expectations for this software, knowing that the car was not going to become a 500 HP monster. Rather, I was expecting to feel like the car is now a complete package; the software was just the icing on the cake.

I do not want to say too much at this time; I will give another review as soon as I have driven it some more.

Thanks Powerchip for the help!

A+++ all the way. I will post again tomorrow on this same thread to let you know how it adapts to the car!

-Craig

Awesome Craig and Congrats!!! :thumbsup:

LOL....Are we going to have a new Powerchip thread for every person that does a write up..... I say "centralize" in the pre-existing ones, so people don't ask the same 40 questions that we already discussed....which i see is happening already. :peace:

SuperCharged Started one in Gen Discussions w/PC Pricing..etc FAQ's:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=53762&page=1&pp=10&highlight=powerchip+software

Another that i believe you started with additional info:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=53190&highlight=powerchip+software

ROCKV7
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 08:11:23 PM
Is the laptop method priced the same as when you send in your ECU?
From what Joel told me, it would cost me $85 to ship/return the laptop with cables. About half that if you ship/return the ecu (have them perform the upgrade).

craigdobs
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 08:13:38 PM
yeah, it costs a little bit more to do it yourself, but you don't have any down time on the car. Plus, it is kind of cool to hook up everything and watch your car get a new brain.

M3@NYC
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 08:39:51 PM
From what Joel told me, it would cost me $85 to ship/return the laptop with cables. About half that if you ship/return the ecu (have them perform the upgrade).

Just confirming. I plan to do this as soon as my break in on the rod bearing recall is over. 900 more miles to go. Hopefully in a few months.

Sean@D/A
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 11:35:18 PM
You know how you get excited about something and you keep trying to explain it to your friends but they just donít get it.. until they do.. and then you get that feelingÖ

Iím having that feeling..

Wait a week then come back and post again.. it gets better~

I'm glad your happy :thumbsup:

Sean

craigdobs
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 11:44:29 PM
Well, let me put it to you this way. I had about a 2 hour drive home today (on purpose of course) and by the time I got home, I feel like I am driving someone else's car. With every pull from a stop, the car just seemed more, I guess, visceral. That's the only thing I can say as of yet. Everything seems more connected. I will continue to post as it gets better.

sy0296
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 12:14:56 AM
congrats! i feel the same way

ROCKV7
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 12:24:01 AM
Just confirming. I plan to do this as soon as my break in on the rod bearing recall is over. 900 more miles to go. Hopefully in a few months.
That is correct. The $85 is for shipping only.

bringbacklsb
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 06:22:04 AM
When having the car serviced at the dealer, is it possible for the Powerchip software upgrade to be accidently replaced with the old M3 standard version during a routine maintenance activity? In other words, is the software immune from dealer intervention, or must the car be guarded from any dealer software overwrites?

BMWGuy206
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 07:14:53 AM
When having the car serviced at the dealer, is it possible for the Powerchip software upgrade to be accidently replaced with the old M3 standard version during a routine maintenance activity? In other words, is the software immune from dealer intervention, or must the car be guarded from any dealer software overwrites?

Yes it is possible. Sometimes dealers will have a service action of performing a DME reprogram and the customer wont even know about it till the work is all completed and they see on the repair order "Warranty: Service Action Bulletin # 11 xx xx or 12 xx xx DME Reprogramming"

If you want to guard it you have to either revert it back to stock before bringing it in for service or tell the service advisor that you dont want the tech to do any DME programming. Of course that will be a dead giveaway that you have aftermarket software. Most dealers wont give you a hard time, unless you're complaining about a Service Engine Soon Light or driveability issues.

This is true for all aftermarket software... not just Powerchips.

markb50k
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 01:54:59 PM
hey Craig, are you going to the dyno day at Allspeed this weekend. I have the Dinan SW + other stuff so we can compare dynos. I think you will blow me away and if you do, I will DEFINITELY be getting the Powerchips.

Hope to see you saturday

Sean@D/A
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 05:02:40 PM
Thx Jon for answering

What he says is correct it's *usually* not a big issue. However if there is a problem its my experience the guys at Powerchip are extremely understanding.

Sean

bringbacklsb
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 06:23:00 AM
Thanks for the reply Jon. So, if I do not find a "DME Reprogramming" service action on the repair order, would I be safe to assume that the software has not been overwritten? From what posters have been saying, the difference between Powerchip and standard software is noticeable, but I'd have a sudden paranoia every time I take it to the dealer that the software may not survive the service call!

Yes it is possible. Sometimes dealers will have a service action of performing a DME reprogram and the customer wont even know about it till the work is all completed and they see on the repair order "Warranty: Service Action Bulletin # 11 xx xx or 12 xx xx DME Reprogramming"

If you want to guard it you have to either revert it back to stock before bringing it in for service or tell the service advisor that you dont want the tech to do any DME programming. Of course that will be a dead giveaway that you have aftermarket software. Most dealers wont give you a hard time, unless you're complaining about a Service Engine Soon Light or driveability issues.

This is true for all aftermarket software... not just Powerchips.

Beowoulf
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 03:45:27 PM
Thanks for the reply Jon. So, if I do not find a "DME Reprogramming" service action on the repair order, would I be safe to assume that the software has not been overwritten? From what posters have been saying, the difference between Powerchip and standard software is noticeable, but I'd have a sudden paranoia every time I take it to the dealer that the software may not survive the service call!
Just put a large sticker in the engine bay near the DME stating "Reprogram my DME and Die" That should work, or not. They put a sticker when I did my Dinan software but that didn't stop them from overwriting it when they did the Rod bearing recall. I knew they would and I knew I would be getting new software since the Dinan was worthless so I didn't care. When I do the Powerchips I will be a lot more diligent.

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:15:19 PM
While im not sure if it was mentioned...the adaptation time for the software is about 60-100 miles and if you havent reached that period yet, just wait...the software gets better.

hsmith
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 05:52:54 PM
Where can Powerchips software be purchased?

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 06:03:09 PM
Discovery Auto is a authorized dealer if they are not in your area try...

www.powerchipgroup.com

or by calling joel/wayne/travis at 800 495 0777

Rob's Archive
Sat, Jan-22-2005, 02:01:44 AM
Ps..i just posted my powerchips write up, which at somepoint should be merged into this thread as well