Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : M3 vs. CLK 500

DEW
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 03:53:05 PM
About 2 months ago, I sold my 2004 M3 and have regretted it ever since. I really took it in the pooper on the sale. Now I'm thinking of buying an 05 but have recently looked at the CLK 500 which is in the same price range.

How would you guys compare this vehicle on fun factor, appearance, maintenance concerns, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Rev8k
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 03:55:46 PM
Get the 545i with the sport package and adaptive steering as I eventually will do. Took that car for a test drive and it is awesome if you don't mind the new body style.

GHOSTRIDER
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 03:56:24 PM
Fun Factor: M3
Appearance: M3
Main. or other concerns: CLK500

Rev8k
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 03:59:42 PM
Take a closer look at the 545i:

http://www.flanigan.net/pics/BMW_545i/

BMWMPWR333
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 10:30:40 PM
Im not saying this just cause its a m3 forum but in MY prospective the m3 is the overall better car in both lux. and performance. Plus many other goodies. Just my opinion...

Doctor Love
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 10:39:06 PM
Decide what your priority is.

The CLK 500 is a luxury car with performance capability
The M3 is a performance car with luxury features

This means when it comes to ride the CLK will be cushier and the interior will be plush, and the engine will be relatively civilized. The M3 will have a harsher ride, very nice interior, excellent performance and handling, and a less 'tame' engine.

cardiacM3
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 11:01:49 PM
About 2 months ago, I sold my 2004 M3 and have regretted it ever since. I really took it in the pooper on the sale. Now I'm thinking of buying an 05 but have recently looked at the CLK 500 which is in the same price range.

How would you guys compare this vehicle on fun factor, appearance, maintenance concerns, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

DON'T buy a Mercedes. Aside from the differences in the car's emphasis (style over substance) the build quality is poor. I say this from personal experience when I went from an E36 M3 to a C32 AMG (BIG MISTAKE). I hated the Mercedes and all of its service nightmares. After 14 months, I went back to an E46 M3. BMW's are simply a joy to drive!

BigGrin
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 11:18:31 PM
You really need to take a long test drive in the CLK on a variety of roads imo.

I had a w208 CLK430 and that wasn't a good car from a drivers pov. Not sure what its like in the us, but merc dealers have one of the worst reps in the UK and thats pretty much how I feel about them from my experience too.

And yes, as said above, build quality was poor - but the CLK and SLK are classed as "economy" models by merc so I guess thats par for the course.

BMW F1
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 11:34:52 PM
CLK55AMG Yes, C55AMG YES.... CLK500 ahh um um, see where Im going with this........

Get the M back and you will be happy BUT BUT BUT, make sure you take the CLK for a good run and throw it around like u would the M and then make your choice.
Adam.

sy0296
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 12:18:06 AM
drive both cars on a daily basis:

as far as fun factor goes, the CLK500 comes now way close to the M3. Don't get me wrong--the CLK is no slouch. It's just not fair to compair to two. As far as a luxury cruiser that is quicker than most sport compacts, the CLK500 is definetely something to something to consider...for some reason, the CLK gets more attention from da hoochies

BMW F1
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 01:38:38 AM
Well said sy0296.
Adam.

gnk2727
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 02:05:26 AM
You WILL miss having an M3 if you have the need or desire to drive an "athletic" car. I've been driving around in my X5 and C230 and I really miss my M3. Thing is it's only been 1 month since I've last driven it. Damn snow needs to melt so I can take it outta the garage.

Mercedes will always be Luxury first, Performance second.

BMW will always be Performance first, Luxury second.

It's all about what your priorities for the car are.

boxed
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 02:58:49 AM
i've seen CLK55 AMG go for around 50k'ish...it does however have 2000 miles on it..its still a good deal anyways.

double_R
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 03:04:21 AM
You WILL miss having an M3 if you have the need or desire to drive an "athletic" car. I've been driving around in my X5 and C230 and I really miss my M3. Thing is it's only been 1 month since I've last driven it. Damn snow needs to melt so I can take it outta the garage.

Mercedes will always be Luxury first, Performance second.

BMW will always be Performance first, Luxury second.

It's all about what your priorities for the car are.

I don't agree with you on Mercedes being second in performance. Mercedes right now owns BMW in performance and luxury and will for a long time. I don't see anything down the road from BMW that will outdo the performance of AMG cars.

but whether or not to get the M3 or the CLK500, that's a no brainer...M3 hands down

Euphoria///M
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 03:20:55 AM
Let me sum it up for you like this.

The M3 is a mans car. It is a sporty beast, yet can be so tame and sexy. And at the same time go 90 and turn heads. I don't really like Benz that much, (dont ask why maybe ill explain on a thread when im feeling the need for getting flamed :dance: ) but the M3 is ultimately a car that the driver DRIVES and enjoys. I can't imagine myself driving a Benz, let alone a clk. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome cars. But unless we talk ///AMG, then Im gonna have to go with my baby, and im gonna have to take the ///M.

M3 ANY DAY over a CLK class. :thumbsup:

Euphoria///M
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 03:23:20 AM
I don't agree with you on Mercedes being second in performance. Mercedes right now owns BMW in performance and luxury and will for a long time. I don't see anything down the road from BMW that will outdo the performance of AMG cars.

but whether or not to get the M3 or the CLK500, that's a no brainer...M3 hands down

Why would you say Benz "owns" BMW in performance? Just because they can slap on superchargers on their cars doesn't mean its a true "Ultimate Driving Machine." I'd rather drive a M3 than a SL55 anyday hands down. Just my taste and opposition against Benzes.

BMW doesn't have to slap on "kompressor" badges on their cars to capture the attention of the people. Bimmers are naturally sporty and attractive, not to mention Luxury galore.

double_R
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 03:30:02 AM
Why would you say Benz "owns" BMW in performance? Just because they can slap on superchargers on their cars doesn't mean its a true "Ultimate Driving Machine." I'd rather drive a M3 than a SL55 anyday hands down. Just my taste and opposition against Benzes.

BMW doesn't have to slap on "kompressor" badges on their cars to capture the attention of the people. Bimmers are naturally sporty and attractive, not to mention Luxury galore.

Mercedes is going to stop putting supercharged engines and use naturally aspirated engines in their AMG cars and still beat the M cars. If you're talking about styling then BMW doesn't come close to Mercedes in matching that, BMW is a step behind except for the M cars. I just think that BMW has to step up in performance to match Mercedes but at the same time retain its looks. BMW could take a page from Mercedes's book

Euphoria///M
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 03:39:14 AM
True... only because of Bangle, though. I mean the 7, 6, 5, and now the new 3 are RADICAL changes. The 7 i still dont like alot, 5 and 6 are acceptable and sometimes downright sexy, but the new 3 can kiss my ass.

Scumfrog
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 06:02:01 PM
I just think that BMW has to step up in performance to match Mercedes but at the same time retain its looks. BMW could take a page from Mercedes's book

I think you're confusing performance with acceleration in a straight line. Having extensively driven the SLK32, 350hp supercharged v6, yes its fast, but has horrible steering feel, a slush box and a stability control system that CANNOT be turned off. That car is not about performance, but about keeping mediocre drivers safe while accelerating in a straight line.

gnk2727
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 06:15:29 PM
Only because Mercedes slaps s/c on their cars and makes them go fast. I'm willing to bet an M3 will outhandle almost any Mercedes on the road. I'm talking about GT Sports Cars. Mercedes doesnt have em, BMW does. I feel disconnected from the road in a Mercedes. I'm not gonna argue with you either, because in the end we both agree on the M3 over the CLK500.

double_R
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 06:17:25 PM
I think you're confusing performance with acceleration in a straight line. Having extensively driven the SLK32, 350hp supercharged v6, yes its fast, but has horrible steering feel, a slush box and a stability control system that CANNOT be turned off. That car is not about performance, but about keeping mediocre drivers safe while accelerating in a straight line.

Im not just referring to straight line acceleration but all around performance. The SLK32 was the previous model SLK AMG and the new SLK55 has improved drastically inside and out, although the numbers are almost identical. Everyone has underestimated the handling of AMG cars like it handles like a bus...times have changed and AMG cars handle very well now, maybe not as good as BMW but its definitely right behind in handling.

mustang
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 06:32:55 PM
Would you compare an M3 to a Lexus LS430?

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 06:38:37 PM
The Benz is a better daily driver and that should be your ultimate determining factor.

M3@NYC
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 07:18:15 PM

Any help is appreciated.

IMO. At least get the CLK55.

bubbaboy4
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 07:38:49 PM
I just recently traded in my M3 for an E55 and can tell you that i love the E55...i'm older than most members at 37YRS old...i do miss my M3 it was raw and i loved taking the M3 out on a good road...i have two kids and the E55 obviously suits my life style better than the M3...my E55 has great power but it is a luxury car...they are so different and yet i really like both of them...if you really like driving and feeling the road the decision should be easy the M3 felt like a race car compared to my E55...i know we are talking about the CLK but i thought i'd add my opinion anyway.

JD

bubbaboy4
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 07:39:41 PM
yo igofast how's the cover working out?

JD

M3@NYC
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 07:44:57 PM
yo igofast how's the cover working out?

JD

Thanks again.

What did you get the E55? How is that monster?

bubbaboy4
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 07:50:33 PM
Thanks again.

What did you get the E55? How is that monster?

It's great to be able fit everyone in my family comfortably in my car...but like i said earlier it's no where near the M3...don't get me wrong i love the new beast but the M3 was a blast..the E55 is better for me i'm getting older almost forty man.

JD

begone
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 03:03:30 AM
I like the CLK500, it's a sweet car. For a daily driver, and if I was someone that cared about comfort more than performance, I would get the CLK. But I'm not, so the M3's a much better fit. But that CLK is no slouch...someone said that already huh....

Btw, I have first hand knowledge of both cars...See -> M3 vs CLK500 (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=53677)

m3rlz
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 03:51:25 AM
These 2 cars are really different. Drive them both and decide. I'm sure one will stand out and fit your tastes better. Myself, I would never take a clk500 over an M3. Or really most any Mercedes for that matter. They are good cars, I just like manuals or smg much better than automatics with that tiptronic stuff. Ok, if you wanna give me that supercar they're making fine, I'll take that and sell it and pocket the cash and maybe buy a Ford GT or something along those lines. Everyone is so different and we each have different needs and tastes. Sometimes a single test drive is not enough. Maybe drive each one several times to get a good feel for what they are about. And you have a clearer picture about which would suit you better.

khanyam3
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 01:09:37 PM
drive both cars on a daily basis:

as far as fun factor goes, the CLK500 comes now way close to the M3. Don't get me wrong--the CLK is no slouch. It's just not fair to compair to two. As far as a luxury cruiser that is quicker than most sport compacts, the CLK500 is definetely something to something to consider...for some reason, the CLK gets more attention from da hoochies

hahahaha .....pretty true though it's cus of the more luxurious appearence of the clk

m3rlz
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 04:00:42 PM
Mmmmm...don't know about that. I've noticed the real sexy AND smart women much preffer the M3, whereas the air-headed silly women would prefer the Merc. I much prefer my women to have a brain in there head as well as great looks.

sy0296
Fri, Jan-21-2005, 08:22:05 PM
Mmmmm...don't know about that. I've noticed the real sexy AND smart women much preffer the M3, whereas the air-headed silly women would prefer the Merc. I much prefer my women to have a brain in there head as well as great looks.

***** (kitty cat) is ***** (kitty cat)... :peace:

back to topic...i forgot to mention that one of my main gripes with the clk500 is for some reason the I can't get the telescoping steering wheel to a position that I like. I'm constantly adjusting it everytime I get into the car...advantage M3

:rofl2: didn't know I can't write ***** on the board....since when is ***** something bad? :banghead:

paso1
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 08:04:19 PM
Dew, I just turned in my CLK 500 and got a CB/BK cpe.

The CLK was a "nice" luxury car, soft, interiors nice to look at, etc. But, at least mine, it was in the shop 7 times over 11 months and not for any type of scheduled service.

The ride does not compare at all. The 500 has a decent torque but that's about it, and as far as the class it's in it's good. But 545 is better.

And you can't tell me that those M3 lines aren't frkn hot! But I guess it does not matter.

Tell you what, do yourself a favor, please consider a 545 saphire black, with tan interiors, and you will love it, the combo it's jaw dropping. Must get Sport package though. You may get lucky and find a left over '04, but would highly recommned an '05 so any glitches on the '04s have hopefully been taken care of. Oh and the comfort seat are totally worth it.

Even the 530 is somewhat decent for the price, and I know there is definetely some '04 laying around.

Not that is any of my business, but why would you sell the M3 and then go buy a car that has the same price tag, and still 2 doors?

The only catch at least in LA, is that it seems that ladies here dig more the mercs than Bimmers, at least the over 23 do.
Good luck. :thumbsup:

paso1
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 08:14:14 PM
Would you compare an M3 to a Lexus LS430?

YOu are kidding right?

Rev8k
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 08:35:15 PM
Tell you what, do yourself a favor, please consider a 545 saphire black, with tan interiors, and you will love it, the combo it's jaw dropping. Must get Sport package though. You may get lucky and find a left over '04, but would highly recommned an '05 so any glitches on the '04s have hopefully been taken care of.

They actually make the 545i in Mystic Blue which was an M3 color. I saw one with tan interior and sport package the other day and it was real nice. Those 275's on the back give it an M5 stance.

BMWM3Driver
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 12:47:43 AM
If anyone has not seen my recent post(s) about having sold my 2002 M3 for an Audi A6 4.2 I will sum it up for you again, and comment on Mercedes...

IT WAS THE BIGGEST F**KING MISTAKE I EVER MADE IN MY LIFE!!!!!

I have no idea what funkafied virus or brain disease afflicted me about 6 months ago but selling the M3 was CRAZY, and thank God I have now come to my senses and bought another 2002 M3, and this time in my #1 preferred color combo. Anyway, before I bought the car I wanted to make sure I wasn't just craving more power than the Audi had so I test drove a few cars I had yet to drive that were at least somewhat similar to an M3 in the sense that they were performace oriented. The list is as follows:

CLK 55 (Some fat guy in Southern CT that looked like a child molester and obviouly smoked in his car as it stunk). The car was quick, sounded cool but I didn't feel connected to the road at all and the autobox was a mess. Hated the steering.

Current E 55 - Had one at a dealership here in CT and was impressed as s**t with the acceleration and it wasn't a horrible handler overall but again I felt disconnected with the road somewhat and I just can't get behind the autoshift thing. Plus it felt pretty heavy.

2004 Audi S4 - Generally liked this car a lot, was quick, had a really nice handling balance and exhaust sound but something was just missing. Close contender overall though, liked it a lot better than previous S4.

2004 Porsche 911 C4S - OK, a little beyond the budget I had in mind and not as practical (although it does have AWD of course!) and OK, I admit I loved the little f**ker and probably would take it over the M3 but Porsche service is never great and why buy it when you know for a little more you could have the turbo. That would always bug me.

Anyway, conclusion is the E46 M3 just has "something" which amounts to "everything" you want in a sport/luxury car and although Mercedes and some of the others may be winning the HP war, so what? It's about the whole package and not just the sheer power. I truly think the E46 M3 is going to go down as one of the greatest cars in history.