Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Newbie question on wheels (SSR GT3)

Jesh
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 03:11:17 PM
Hi all. First post here so be easy on me, I've been lurking for a while :)

I have a 2002 M3 with stock 18" wheels and stock tires.

I really like the look of the SSR GT3 wheels and am thinking of purchasing them. (18", I'm in Chicago and scared to get 19" due to bending em).

Questions are: If I order the 18", will they fit on the tires I currently have (stock)? Does anybody recommend NOT getting these? And also does anybody recommend any other tires even if these wheels work with the stock ones?

Also, does anybody have any pictures of the 18" SSR GT3's on stock? I've seen the 19" and they look great, but I am wondering if the 18" will lose it's aggressive look :(

Thanks in advance, sorry about all the questions :)

Seneca
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 03:46:20 PM
Well IMO 18 inch SSR GT3 look like crap.I live in New York And havent had a problem with the rim bending.If you plan on driving in the snow in chicago get the 18's.here is my car on 19's w/ mich ps2's

xodus
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 04:11:06 PM
Stock 18" tires on GT3 18"? Not sure, but I'm guessing they won't.

I strongly recommend getting 19"s. If you drive over something like pothole and bend 19", you will still bend 18" doing the same thing. Damage would be little less, but still need to fix it anyway.

If you are short of budget, save up and get 19" later.

Straighte8
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 04:18:20 PM
Here's a link with some pics of my car with the 19's. I lived in Chicago for awhile, and I think you will be fine with the 19's just be carful when your driving. Also, 18's will not prevent damage all together. If you hit a big pothole with the 18's you still run the risk of bending a rim.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=52426

Jesh
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 04:19:52 PM
I just saw a picture of 18" custom rims and all I can say is yuk. I am going to go with the 19" SSR GT3 Wheels, no doubt about it.

Does anybody have any recommendations on good tires to go with this?

I am also going to get the Brembo Big Brake kit. I think that will make a nice combination both performance wise and appearance wise.

Anyhow, any recommendations on tires?

Thanks for the input so far!

Greg

Straighte8
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 04:23:19 PM
I just saw a picture of 18" custom rims and all I can say is yuk. I am going to go with the 19" SSR GT3 Wheels, no doubt about it.

I am also going to get the Brembo Big Brake kit. I think that will make a nice combination both performance wise and appearance wise.

Greg

Good Choice and the Brembos will look great. Also you should look into getting a black or grey finish for you SSR's since your car is black.

Seneca
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 04:27:41 PM

Greg
michelin ps2 or bridge. potenza so3

Doctor Love
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 04:33:06 PM
Pretty sure Toyo makes a decently priced tire as well, my advice is to check out tire rack ;)

BarryC
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 04:39:55 PM
Here's some info based on my experience..... The GT3s are relatively heavy as are the S-03s so I'd recommend that you seriously consider the Toyos as they are 3-4lbs less per tire in weight. My experience with the S03s has not been great on either my M3 or the M5 I had before it. The Toyos have much better grip IMO.

Finally if you do a BBK, you will have to run a 10-15mm spacer. I switched to the RS-GTs because they are lighter and do not require a spacer to clear a BBK.

Good luck either way - your car will look much better!!

BC

O-Ace
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 04:40:24 PM

Good choice! :thumbsup:

daytonaviolet
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 05:27:06 PM
if your gonna get them.. i'd suggest the 19"

Beowoulf
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 05:35:15 PM
I agree with Barry, go for the Toyo T1-S. Alot lighter than the S03's and much cheaper than the PS2's.

Jesh
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 06:03:34 PM
Great info here guys, really nice to have people who actually use this stuff give their opinions and not some sales person.

Currently looking at: SSR GT3 Wheels, Toyo T1-S Tires, Brembo Big Brake Kit, and with this setup a spacer is needed. Are there any recommendations on spacers?

As for all the proper sizes I think I will let the performance shop handle all that for me :)

Barry, do you have a link for the RS-GT's (Nevermind) :)

Thanks much!

Greg

Red330I
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 06:45:13 PM
I had these rims in 19 inch on my old 330I and loved them. I hit some pretty bad holes in the road and they always held up, never bent or cracked. Mine were satin 19x8.5 front, 19x9.5 rear. If the RS-GTs are in your budget, definitely get those, but the GT3's are an excellent choice as well. I've included a pic of them on my old car

Jesh
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 07:07:05 PM
I had these rims in 19 inch on my old 330I and loved them. I hit some pretty bad holes in the road and they always held up, never bent or cracked. Mine were satin 19x8.5 front, 19x9.5 rear. If the RS-GTs are in your budget, definitely get those, but the GT3's are an excellent choice as well. I've included a pic of them on my old car

I can afford the RS-GT's, just not sure how much I like their style :(

I really like the SSR GT3's, but I think I'd need to see some more pictures of the RS-GT's before I make a final decision... thanks for the info ;)

Forsaken
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 08:53:49 PM
I have the 19 inch satin GT3's in Chicago and haven't had any problems with them bending. They've hit some nasty potholes too. But like others have said, you might want to consider other wheels if you want to put a BBK on without spacers.

Jesh
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 09:10:34 PM
On the topic of the tires, I few people have told me the Toyo T1-S are really not good in the rain.

Anybody have recommendations on nice summer tires, but also something nice in rainy weather? I might take it to the track once in a while, but nothing serious.

Is there a downfall to having spacers too? Remember the topic of this thread is newbie question on wheels :(

Just don't want to make a bad decision. Appreciate the patience :)

Greg

Red330I
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 09:12:45 PM
On the topic of the tires, I few people have told me the Toyo T1-S are really not good in the rain.

Anybody have recommendations on nice summer tires, but also something nice in rainy weather? I might take it to the track once in a while, but nothing serious.

Is there a downfall to having spacers too? Remember the topic of this thread is newbie question on wheels :(

Greg

I had Pirelli P-Zero's, 235/35/19 front and 255/30/19 rear. They were good in both wet and dry weather.

mkassab
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 09:46:12 PM
Here's some info based on my experience..... The GT3s are relatively heavy as are the S-03s so I'd recommend that you seriously consider the Toyos as they are 3-4lbs less per tire in weight. My experience with the S03s has not been great on either my M3 or the M5 I had before it. The Toyos have much better grip IMO.

Finally if you do a BBK, you will have to run a 10-15mm spacer. I switched to the RS-GTs because they are lighter and do not require a spacer to clear a BBK.

Good luck either way - your car will look much better!!

BC

Double check this, But it's my understand the GT3s (18 or 19) will not fit BBKs. I've checked with TireRack. Although, you could put spacer up front to "make" them work?

mkassab
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 09:57:27 PM
Here's another link that saids SSR GT3s won't fit BBKs.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=53949

Mark

Seneca
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 10:09:29 PM
if your gonna get them.. i'd suggest the 19"
Yes copy ferny like I did!

Forsaken
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 11:08:36 PM

Greg

I ran the Toyos also this summer and they were great in the rain. I remember making a 4 hour trip while it was pouring the whole way and the toyos had no problem.

I don't think there is any real problem with running spacers but you are probably better getting a wheel that doesn't need them. That way there is less of a chance of having vibration issues and less strain on the wheel bearings.

acitydweller
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 12:12:02 PM
as always, 19's may look better but 18's offer a better ride. All subject to personal preference. if you havent driven both wheel sizes, i suggest you do before you decide.

g/l

Jesh
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 04:57:10 PM
Thanks again for all the info.

I'm still leaning toward the SSR GT3's. I really like their look.

Now appearance wise, can anybody suggest brakes to go with this? I mean, will the stock brakes look horrible with these wheels? I originally wanted the Brembo BBK but since I need spacers I'm not sure I want to deal with any potential problems with vibration.

Thanks again :)

Greg

mkassab
Tue, Feb-01-2005, 12:30:12 PM
Thanks again for all the info.

I'm still leaning toward the SSR GT3's. I really like their look.

Now appearance wise, can anybody suggest brakes to go with this? I mean, will the stock brakes look horrible with these wheels? I originally wanted the Brembo BBK but since I need spacers I'm not sure I want to deal with any potential problems with vibration.

Thanks again :)

Greg

Like I said in two earlier posts (in this tread), BBKs won't fit the GT3s. So, is BBK is important, then choose a different wheel. :banghead:

Mark