Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Difference between '02.5 and '04

itsme
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 10:23:10 AM
Well I have a 02.5 and my brother have a 04. I drove his car the other day and I notice something very odd. His car takes a lot long to get to operating temp (the oil temp getting pass the first dot) From my house to the freeway on-ramp is about 2.8 miles and I never drive hard through there cause of all the cops there. Well in my car I would be just a bit pass the first dot on the oil temp guage, but on his car it would be in between the lowest and the first dot on the oil guage. I got very curious, so the next day I had him follow me to the on ramp. Just to make sure its not the outside temp throwing it off, but what do I find? The same thing his oil temp would be in between the 0 and the first dot and I would be pass the first dot on the oil guage.

So what do you guys thing this is happening? 04 got a better oil pump, oil cooler?

Oh I have 36k on my car and just got new oil and he has 6k on his car with pretty clean oil too.

Thrill
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 12:39:35 PM
Sounds to me like it is just the temp sensor. It may be just a few degrees. What about the water temp. gauge. Did it appear very close to the same for both cars?

itsme
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 09:45:29 PM
Yeah the wate temp gauages were the same.

e36M3r
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 10:24:08 PM
Please explain the differences for an 02 and 02.5 :roll:

Yeah the wate temp gauages were the same.

Polo08816
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 10:31:55 PM

Ok....maybe I'm NOT a brain surgeon....but I can chip in.

Is it possible that your friend in the other M3 was driving at lower RPMs than you through the whole way there?

Hypothetically
If he was cruising at 1.5 -2.5 k rpms to the same destination through the same route, while you are screaming at 4.5 - 6.0k RPM, I place bets that your motor might be running a little hotter than his. :chair:

MLINER
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 02:32:02 AM
Rear LED lights

Euphoria///M
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 03:47:49 AM

I hope you dont mean what 02.5 stands for :rofl2: , which I KNOW you dont. 02.5, or 2002 1/2, was when they changed the lights to LEDs.

e36M3r
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 04:13:55 AM
I was afraid of that. Sorry dude, that was done in Feb 2003 so it was 03.5s not 02.5s which is just plain, well... dumb. All 02s were the same and putting in 2.5 is pointless.

I realize it was Itsme who posted that... but others (uhem... obviously) may not be aware.

I hope you dont mean what 02.5 stands for :rofl2: , which I KNOW you dont. 02.5, or 2002 1/2, was when they changed the lights to LEDs.

itsme
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 06:18:21 AM
No its not. There is a difference between 02 and 02.5 when I was having my remote start install the hardware would not work on my car b/c some of the wiring were different on the harness. But the same kit would work on early 02 and older models. So there is a difference if you guys aren't so sure please dont be dissing already. I've been on this forum ever since it starter Im a "old schooler".

itsme
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 06:22:02 AM
Ok....maybe I'm NOT a brain surgeon....but I can chip in.

Is it possible that your friend in the other M3 was driving at lower RPMs than you through the whole way there?

Hypothetically
If he was cruising at 1.5 -2.5 k rpms to the same destination through the same route, while you are screaming at 4.5 - 6.0k RPM, I place bets that your motor might be running a little hotter than his. :chair:

I had my brother keep the rev under 3k so we could get as close perimeters as possible.

Euphoria///M
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 07:14:01 AM
No its not. There is a difference between 02 and 02.5 when I was having my remote start install the hardware would not work on my car b/c some of the wiring were different on the harness. But the same kit would work on early 02 and older models. So there is a difference if you guys aren't so sure please dont be dissing already. I've been on this forum ever since it starter Im a "old schooler".

:whistle:

e36M3r
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 04:11:16 PM
OK fine, but really, do you need to make such a distinction? It just adds confusion. The 03.5 guys have a point in that there was some noticiable changes. You should actually state your build month if you want to nitpick about a wire here and a wire there.