Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : What's it like driving in North Carolina

Lionheart
Fri, Jan-14-2005, 12:45:38 AM
Going to be visiting and considering a move to North Carolina and I was wondering what is it like to drive in the State? Are there some fun roads? Are there some good isolated roads with good twists and turns? How aggressive is highway patrol in giving tickets? Roads in good condition?

Appreciate feedback. Thanks

Luke WL.
Fri, Jan-14-2005, 02:46:37 AM
where in nc?

Lionheart
Sat, Jan-15-2005, 08:52:04 PM
We are looking at suburbs of Charlotte and the Raleigh/Durham areas to live. However, when I drive for pleasure there is no telling where I will end up. In California there are some fun roads, it takes to long to get to them and a million other people always seem to want to go where I go.

White1995M3
Tue, Jan-18-2005, 04:16:42 AM
Going to be visiting and considering a move to North Carolina and I was wondering what is it like to drive in the State? Are there some fun roads? Are there some good isolated roads with good twists and turns? How aggressive is highway patrol in giving tickets? Roads in good condition?

Appreciate feedback. Thanks

I live in Knoxville, TN, but my grandparents live in SC and I have to drive threw NC to get to SC. The Highway Patrol is to be honest .... awful. But this is mainly on the highways in the mountians. But to answer you question on roads. They are everywhere on the Mountain side of the state and you typically don't see cops on those roads. A famous road is called the dragon and this is a very curvy road. Over 100 turns in less than 12 miles. This is one of the few to look forward too.

dejablu311
Tue, Jan-18-2005, 05:04:08 AM
You will have to get out of charlotte to find good roads. Once you get out to the country you can drive for hours and have fun with very little risk of crossing a sheriff. Do some exploring and i gurarntee it won't take long to find a favorite country road. (did this to learn how to use launch control). The troopers are average as far as aggresiveness. I have never seen a tropper pull over anyone that was going 10 or less over the limit. Some of their traps are pretty sneaky though. As far as great roads, the blue ridge parkway is amazing but it can get crowded.

SpecialK
Wed, Jan-19-2005, 04:04:57 AM
If you don't have a V1 with PoP, get one. Highway driving is pretty liberal as long as you aren't leading the pack. Choose a rabbit and follow him about 3/4 mile and pace. Let the advance guy get the ticket. Plenty of twisties all over really. You'll be near Washington, Lewisburg, Hollister (Boonies), and a smattering of other small towns but let it be known that the NC SHP patrols remotely fairly often. Have fun.

lightspeed
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:27:11 PM
Pretty much what they said:

1. Get a V1 with POP.
2. Some of their traps are INDEED very tricky.
3. Do NOT speed in the RDU area at all, especially at night. They will pull you over with a Camaro Police car if they have to.
4. DO NOT SPEED ANYWHERE at night, as this is the time they HIDE behind the bush to give you a ticket.

As I've said before, traffic pigs are a useless excuse of human life.

God Bless the Lawyers.

All the cops want is to fuk with you when you have a nice car. The reason is that they feel sorry for themselves for what they do, so they are on a power trip all the time, anywhere. And they are very jealous.

Only 1 in 100 cops, sorry pigs, is a decent human being -- and this is hurtful to him since he finds it hard to fit in with the "fraternity" at the police station.

Taxes in NC are very VERY high.

As to living here: it is very PRETTY, green everywhere. Great nature, great roads, nice homes, etc.

dejablu311
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 11:21:51 PM
Oh i also forgot to mention that you have to be careful about types of cars to look for. My home town alone uses camaros, durangos(both new and old styles), intrepids, impalas, excursions, explorers, stratus, and crown vics. They like to take cars they have impounded and turn them into police cars. The troppers around here just use camaros, impalas, crown vics, and durangos. Sherriffs in my county use crown vics and F-150's. Basically if its american you might get pulled over by it.

jdwgig
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 09:46:59 PM
hey there.......charlotte nc here..........well i personally think the roads are terrible in NC......Highway 85!! busted 2 rims in Raliegh/DUrham area of 85.......um cops are not as bad as VA....they are sneaky but what cop isnt...they use a lot of different stealth cars here...as previously posted....country roads are like any other the only thing you will have to watch out for potholes and slow ASS chicken trucks!!! lol if you move to charlotte look me up........my car http://members.cardomain.com/jdwgig

jimmypM3
Tue, Feb-01-2005, 01:51:18 AM
I live in Knoxville, TN, but my grandparents live in SC and I have to drive threw NC to get to SC. The Highway Patrol is to be honest .... awful. But this is mainly on the highways in the mountians. But to answer you question on roads. They are everywhere on the Mountain side of the state and you typically don't see cops on those roads. A famous road is called the dragon and this is a very curvy road. Over 100 turns in less than 12 miles. This is one of the few to look forward too.

That would be 318 curves in 11 miles. Drive it often. You will love it.

paul4885
Fri, Feb-04-2005, 06:13:15 AM
I am from Raleigh and on the main streets don't really go less than 60 or 65. Long as you have a V1 and pay attention you should be fine. I recently have gone to college at Western Carolina (30 minutes west of Asheville) and I can tell you that the roads up here are awesome. I found one spot for like a few miles coming down hill there were tons of complete u-turn type turns.