Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Beware of Lynch BMW (Daytona Beach, Fl.)

M3IZZY
Mon, Dec-27-2004, 11:45:57 PM
Beware fellow M3 owners, this is a bit long but I'd like your input here. If you read it and comment, thanks in advance.

I'm up in Daytona Beach, Fl. for the holidays visiting my Mom and my M3 has been acting up. First it started with the interior lights staying on, then graduated to going to neutral when I would be at a traffic light or stop sign to having trouble starting the car because it wouldn't stay in neutral. The dash beeps all the time saying my driver's side door is open when it's not and it's disengaged 3rd gear to neutral, once, while I was driving today. I thought maybe the sensor had frozen, but even by midday when it was up in the 60's I was still experiencing it. This has gone on for 3 days and has gotten progressively worse.

So I decided to take it to the local BMW dealer- Lynch BMW- to have them take a look at it. I've read good things about them here in the past and have even contemplated purchasing a BMW there in the past and possibly in the future as I may be relocating to that area in the next year or two. I thought they would look at the car and diagnose and fix the problem and be done with it and that I could become familiar with the dealership in the process, but boy was I wrong.

Their service advisor- Bob Cross(Asst. Service Manager)- was quite busy and I had to wait a while to see him. When I finally explained the problem to him and that I was visiting my Mother for the Holidays from Miami and had some concerns with how the car was acting, he informed me that they were very busy and backed up and they would only be able to set up a service appointment two weeks from now. I was beside myself and told him I would just wait until I returned home the following week.

I got in my car and could not believe what had just happened. I decided to go back inside and get his name and business card and write a letter to BMW NA to inform them of how I had been treated and that this was not seen as an emergency situation. I informed Mr. Cross of this and he became irate. He told me that he had not said that he would see my car two weeks from now but rather after he had finished with his current clients and when they had time as the were very backed up. I responded with, " You didn't tell me that." He then preceeded to walk out of the showroom and slam the door in my face. When I opened the door to the service bay drop off area and told him that BMW NA would be hearing about this, he told me, "Get the fu*k out of here *******!" Those were his EXACT WORDS!!! NO LIE!!!

Shocked and a bit more than angry, I went back inside and asked to speak to the BMW General Manager. He was not available(out to lunch) so I spoke to their VW Sales Manager(only Manager available) about the situation. Mr. Watts apologized and was an upmost gentlemen and assured me the GM would be notified and they would call me shortly thereafter. An hour or so later, I received a call from Kyle Cook, Lynch BMW's Service Director.

I went over the situation with him again and he could not believe that his service advisor would say this. It's now seems it's down to my word against his, as we were the only two in the service bay drop off area at the time of the incident. Mr. Cook and I decided to meet tomorrow morning at 8 AM, to sit down down and go over the situation with me personally. He assured me that Mr. Bob Cross will be reprimanded. As to what degree, still remains a mystery. He informed me it would take about a 1/2 hour to diagnose the problem and that it was probably a door sensor or the like, that had to be replaced. Mr. Cook was also a complete gentlemen as well.

Now my question's to you guy's are:

Would you let them work on your car after an experience like this?

Would an apology from the service advisor suffice or would you expend the energy(write BMW NA and speak with Lynch BMW's Owner and GM) to try and have Mr. Cross, the service advisor, fired?

I have my 12,000 mile service appointment with my advisor and dealership, Braman BMW, on January 4th. Should I just deal with these haywires the car is having until then? Is it safe you think(I'm a little worried to be honest with you)?

Would you do business with this dealership in the future?

I guess alot of this depends on my meeting with the Service Director tomorrow morning. I'm a bit angered by the fact that I was treated with such disrespect and berated for no apparent reason. Possibly my jeans and T-shirt conveyed a look of a spoiled kid(I am 31), but I'm on vacation and I work hard to pay for my M3 as a financial advisor. No daddy's money here. I don't know what was going through this service advisor's head when this happened , so I cannot judge him. Who know's what else is going on in his life?

Well, fellow M3 owner's and BMW enthusiast's, your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray Mas :peace:

e36M3r
Tue, Dec-28-2004, 01:09:01 AM
Would an apology from the service advisor suffice or would you expend the energy(write BMW NA and speak with Lynch BMW's Owner and GM) to try and have Mr. Cross, the service advisor, fired?

I think you should be re-evaluated also. Seeking an apology, or going to the extent of trying to have the guy fired... man, get a life. People have bad days all the time, why such drama... I suppose you were 'insulted'.

Just get your car fixed. If you can deal with someone else why do you have to be involved with that guy again? Oh, show him up I suppose :banghead:

ArtM3
Tue, Dec-28-2004, 01:15:02 AM
Just go to the meeting, with an open mind, if they remedy the situation, and fix the car, that's all you can ask for.

I'm sure the dealership will deal with the rude employee, he sounds like he's under a lot of pressure to perform, and that's probably applied by his bosses, who don't sound like they put up with much crap. If the guy apologizes, just let it go.

Majin SSJ Eric
Tue, Dec-28-2004, 02:24:14 AM
I can certainly understand why the guy got angry. I mean, you said yourself that they were very busy and you decided that they should just bump everyone else out of the way so YOUR car could be fixed immediately. When he tells you that they are simply too busy to work you in that day, you go off on him and threaten to write BMW NA (for what reason I still can't figure out). I would have been pissed too. It's not like everybody doesn't want THEIR car to be worked on first. I would never threaten to write someone's boss just because they were busy and couldn't work me into the schedule as quickly as I wanted........

M3_shin
Tue, Dec-28-2004, 05:35:39 AM
That is definitely unacceptable....In no way am I a snob, or one of those people who demand things or expect the royal treatment, I also know EXACTLY how the service advisor felt as I myself have been in the same situation plenty of times, however, in the business environment, no matter how frustrated you are w/ a customer, you CANNOT curse at them like that. I suggest you take the high road and try to be understanding, not trying to get the guy fired, but just get your car fixed and be done w/ it. I'm sure you already sent the message to the GM that Mr. Cross' actions were unacceptable, but the guy was probably having a bad day, he's human, and he lost it. SO just be the bigger man.

zp91hbk
Tue, Dec-28-2004, 07:02:12 AM
in no way should the guy curse at you like that. 2 weeks? what are you supposed to do drive around with problems for 2 weeks? I can see a couple days, or to get another mechanic look at it, but 2 weeks is too long.

i wouldnt take my car there if I were you, ecspecially not if he is the one working on it.

M3IZZY
Tue, Dec-28-2004, 07:09:11 AM
I think you should be re-evaluated also. Seeking an apology, or going to the extent of trying to have the guy fired... man, get a life. People have bad days all the time, why such drama... I suppose you were 'insulted'.

Just get your car fixed. If you can deal with someone else why do you have to be involved with that guy again? Oh, show him up I suppose :banghead:

Yeah, I guess I'm wrong. I should just allow someone to curse at me and call me an as*hole. Kind of makes me wonder about yourself and how you interact with people on a daily basis if you think this is normal and not an insult. Me re-evaluated, try looking in the mirror.

M3IZZY
Tue, Dec-28-2004, 07:19:04 AM
I can certainly understand why the guy got angry. I mean, you said yourself that they were very busy and you decided that they should just bump everyone else out of the way so YOUR car could be fixed immediately. When he tells you that they are simply too busy to work you in that day, you go off on him and threaten to write BMW NA (for what reason I still can't figure out). I would have been pissed too. It's not like everybody doesn't want THEIR car to be worked on first. I would never threaten to write someone's boss just because they were busy and couldn't work me into the schedule as quickly as I wanted........

I didn't say they should bump everyone out of the way and look at my car immediately. Had he explained that they were real busy and could look at it later in the day or the following day, that would have sufficed. That was what the service director explained and I was fine with that. I don't expect to be treated poorly with people I do business with and that applies to my car dealership or any other car dealership of said company.

M3IZZY
Tue, Dec-28-2004, 07:29:06 AM
Everyone else, thanks for your tips. I'm just going to go sit down with the service director and try to resolve the situation come morning. I'll take the high road and just move on from this. It's not such a big deal anyway, everyone's entitled to a bad day. I'll keep you posted.....

poopm3
Tue, Dec-28-2004, 07:34:34 AM
izzy youre wrong, cuz put urself in his place, ud do the same.

M34U2NV
Tue, Dec-28-2004, 07:43:32 PM
Izzy come to Fields BMW in Winter park. . .one of the techs there is a good personal friend of mine and member on our forum, as well as one of the service advisors is a good friend of mine.

I know it's a lil bit of a hike for you, but you could come down thru I4 to the fl tpk to get home. . .

e36M3r
Tue, Dec-28-2004, 08:16:11 PM
Still on the attack I see! :agree:

My gut instinct is that these things don't just happen. That there are two sides to each story (or possibly three, the third being the truth!) The guy was unlikely to just snap, and from your posts, I sense you may have contributed to the situation, at least to some degree.

Glad to see you are taking my advice as the first to suggest you just move on. Why do you even need to deal with this guy again, deal with someone else, as you two obviously have an issue.

Finally, someone else suggested a dealer down the road, sounds like a good idea to me.

Yeah, I guess I'm wrong. I should just allow someone to curse at me and call me an as*hole. Kind of makes me wonder about yourself and how you interact with people on a daily basis if you think this is normal and not an insult. Me re-evaluated, try looking in the mirror.

ggs
Tue, Dec-28-2004, 08:43:08 PM
Keep us posted - would like to hear how it turns out.

No matter what the situation was, and even if you acted like an a**hole (and I'm not saying you did), he had no justification for yelling at a customer like that.

Lightfoot
Tue, Dec-28-2004, 09:35:14 PM
To those who think the service advisor was justified in acting the way he did, I totally disagree. No matter how the customer acts, and taking 2 weeks to look at a malfunctioning car is excessive in my book, one cannot lose control and curse at a customer, i.e. the customer is always right. Personally, I would bring in the car in care of the sales manager. You have already said your peace about the rude service manager, and if the dealership has any sense of right and wrong, will take action to make sure it doesn't happen again. I bet the next time you visit the dealership in the near future that guy will be gone. If he treated you with disrespect like that he has probably treated others the same and will eventually dig his own grave.

capirest
Wed, Dec-29-2004, 05:08:29 AM
Go to the meeting & see what they can do for you. It might turn out to be good after all..

Good luck!!

vangaurdtrooper
Wed, Dec-29-2004, 05:49:18 AM
wait...dont you call the dealer beforehand to get an appointment time for your car?

flabmaster
Wed, Dec-29-2004, 06:05:27 AM
To those who think the service advisor was justified in acting the way he did, I totally disagree.
Exactly. I can think of no circumstances where it would be acceptable for someone to tell a customer to **** off. That is intolerable. I wouldn't try to get him fired as many have said, people have bad days. Go to the meeting and possibly allow them to work on the car, but I certainly wouldn't buy a car from them in the future. Someone suggested try another dealership nearby, that sounds like a good plan.
-Dave

derryck
Wed, Dec-29-2004, 01:40:13 PM
Seeking an apology, or going to the extent of trying to have the guy fired... man, get a life. People have bad days all the time, why such drama... I suppose you were 'insulted'.

I have to agree 100%...I have bought a couple of cars from Lynch BMW and I don't know if Jim Drake is still the head guy on the BMW side their but they have always gone out of their way to take great care of me. I understand your frustration and it goes without saying that their lack of professionalism should be addressed but who are you to judge and imply that you would like to get him fired. This man probably has a family to support and you want to get him fired cause he called you a name?

ggs
Sun, Jan-02-2005, 03:27:31 AM
So what was the outcome of all this :smiley_ab ?

Any update?