Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Launching SMG M3 from line

localpimpin
Tue, Nov-23-2004, 05:37:12 AM
Hey can someone help and let me know the best way to launch the smg m3 off the line. Power braking best?

A3r0pusH
Tue, Nov-23-2004, 07:25:16 AM
i fall into the same catagorey..........i hear LC (launch control) being thrown around alot but never really understood what it is, when its on.............

i've done searches for it but haven't turned up anything and i know some of you will tell me to do a search so if you're gonna say that tell me what to search for

VegasImola
Wed, Nov-24-2004, 12:24:14 AM
Launch control is where you put on the sport mode with DSC off and the power level on six. Press down on the brake with the left foot, push up on the gearbox and hold, and press down on the accelerator with your right foot. The car will allow to you to rev to about 2000rpm. Simultaneously let your foot of the brake and let go of the stick and you will "launch." In my opinion, you are better off just stomping on the gas.
Now, can someone fill me in on what burnout mode is?

bimmernutz
Wed, Nov-24-2004, 08:32:19 PM
Launch control is where you put on the sport mode with DSC off and the power level on six. Press down on the brake with the left foot, push up on the gearbox and hold, and press down on the accelerator with your right foot. The car will allow to you to rev to about 2000rpm. Simultaneously let your foot of the brake and let go of the stick and you will "launch." In my opinion, you are better off just stomping on the gas.
Now, can someone fill me in on what burnout mode is?
:beer:

aswada
Wed, Nov-24-2004, 08:57:21 PM
acutally you dont need to put your foot on the brake as long as your not on an incline, just hold the shifter up depress the gas and let go of the shifter and off you go

hiros
Wed, Nov-24-2004, 10:07:48 PM
It is on the manual so there is no need to search on the forum. Correction on several things, there is no need to step on the brake as aswada stated, no need for sports mode, just dsc off, mode 6, and hold your lever forward while stepping on the gas slowly to the floor. The moment you release the lever, get ready to shift into 2nd gear. http://www.m3smg.com/ More info on this website.

Divexxtreme
Wed, Nov-24-2004, 10:44:16 PM
Thanks Hiros. You are correct, sir.:thumbsup:

hiros
Wed, Nov-24-2004, 10:51:10 PM
Thanks Hiros. You are correct, sir.:thumbsup:

Why thank me Scott? regardless, you are welcome sir. :D

DaBean
Wed, Nov-24-2004, 10:53:15 PM
There are two modes, and I have tested each of them myself:
LC is where you do everything that was said above (DSC off, (Sport - not necessary), S6) and press down slowly on the accelerator until it is down all the way, then release the stick and get ready to shift.
Burnout is where you do everything the same way, except you stomp on the gas pedal, and then release the stick... wheel spin is greatly increased.

I have also found that for the regular LC, you get a little more wheelspin with Sport mode ON...

A3r0pusH
Thu, Nov-25-2004, 05:31:09 PM
thanks for the site and the help :D

Divexxtreme
Thu, Nov-25-2004, 06:57:05 PM
For being the person to finally post the correct info.:thumbsup:

Why thank me Scott? regardless, you are welcome sir. :D

Predator
Thu, Nov-25-2004, 09:33:58 PM
cheers guys that was useful.

With sport mode on i dnt think it makes a difference other than ure airbox flap is fully opened and the throttle bodies are fully opened aswell and the throttle is about 10% more than usual. ie if u press the throttle @50% then with sport mode on its 60%. Well thats what i think anyways.

LextoM
Thu, Nov-25-2004, 11:38:05 PM
For some reason I cannot get "burnout mode" to work. Maybe it is because my 04? I set up everything like LC but just stomp on the gas full throttle and it still launches at 1800rpm with no wheel spin. Any ideas?

Beowoulf
Fri, Nov-26-2004, 07:12:59 PM
They stopped the burnout mode in 2003.5 and later cars. If you want to do a burnout, just stomp on the gas pedal real hard without using LC.

On a side note, never power brake on the SMG.

vangaurdtrooper
Mon, Nov-29-2004, 06:40:44 AM
i have done burnout mode in my 04... its dry, no incline and clean road
.... if i stomp it when initiating launch, it burns out

JonnybravoM3
Mon, Nov-29-2004, 09:09:06 AM
All the information given here is true.. however, the rpm the rocket launch system allows you to rev to once holding the smg shifter forward is around 3,500-4,500rpm....

i recomment around 3,500.... you dont need that much to launch it perfectly...If the Launch Control is used correctly then it will launch the car 0.18 seconds faster than an expert manual shifter!!

WARNING!! If you use the rocket launch system on your SMG more than 15 times a yellow light in the dashboard comes one... if this happens then congratulations, you have just cancelled your warranty! This is because the Launch system put a lot of pressure on the engine and clutch (which you risk burning out)... and you risk messing up the gears... one of my good friends used it too many times and now he is unable to shift to 3rd gear anymore... he had to go and have his SMG and clutch replaced and you KNOW how pricey BMW parts are! especially for the ///M Powers...

However, I have used it way more than 15 times, and thank God i still dont have any problems...but its a risk we all have to take! Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Divexxtreme
Mon, Nov-29-2004, 01:15:20 PM
Our cars here in the US launch at 1,800 rpm. Not 3,500. 3,500 is only for the Euro spec cars. Also...we can use Launch Control as many times we like without voiding our warranty. I've used Launch Control well over 100 times with zero problems.

All the information given here is true.. however, the rpm the rocket launch system allows you to rev to once holding the smg shifter forward is around 3,500-4,500rpm....

i recomment around 3,500.... you dont need that much to launch it perfectly...If the Launch Control is used correctly then it will launch the car 0.18 seconds faster than an expert manual shifter!!

WARNING!! If you use the rocket launch system on your SMG more than 15 times a yellow light in the dashboard comes one... if this happens then congratulations, you have just cancelled your warranty! This is because the Launch system put a lot of pressure on the engine and clutch (which you risk burning out)... and you risk messing up the gears... one of my good friends used it too many times and now he is unable to shift to 3rd gear anymore... he had to go and have his SMG and clutch replaced and you KNOW how pricey BMW parts are! especially for the ///M Powers...

However, I have used it way more than 15 times, and thank God i still dont have any problems...but its a risk we all have to take! Good Luck! :thumbsup:

JonnybravoM3
Mon, Nov-29-2004, 05:10:50 PM
Our cars here in the US launch at 1,800 rpm. Not 3,500. 3,500 is only for the Euro spec cars. Also...we can use Launch Control as many times we like without voiding our warranty. I've used Launch Control well over 100 times with zero problems.

Aha.. i didnt know this.. thnx for pointing it out.. i guess you run less of a risk of burning your clutch and messin the gear up when launching at such a low rpm...which is why the dealers arent too bothered about it... i have to say, lucky you... :bow:

bimmernutz
Mon, Nov-29-2004, 07:50:49 PM
Aha.. i didnt know this.. thnx for pointing it out.. i guess you run less of a risk of burning your clutch and messin the gear up when launching at such a low rpm...which is why the dealers arent too bothered about it... i have to say, lucky you... :bow:
:beer:

A3r0pusH
Tue, Nov-30-2004, 08:48:09 AM
man can't wait to get my car back from the shop so i can try all this out :D

just another 2 weeks or so..............*sigh*

M3_Dave
Wed, Dec-01-2004, 01:05:19 AM

scott you worry me - i remember last year you said youve used it over a 100 times...a year later and still only at over 100 times - im just kidding man - its so hard not to use it i know

Divexxtreme
Wed, Dec-01-2004, 01:07:08 AM
Heck...you're right Dave....it could be 200 times by now.:D

gnk2727
Wed, Dec-01-2004, 01:11:00 AM
Hell, I only really use mine at the track and I've used mine over 100 times too.......

BRN-M3
Sun, Dec-05-2004, 07:35:29 AM
hi 13.0@106 what was your 60ft?