Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Ouch !! N. VA Body Shop recommendation

BigHat
Tue, Nov-02-2004, 01:37:08 AM
I'm sick.

Scratched my right fender (wheel well area) today in a parking garage. No dent but have about a 6"x 1" area that needs light sanding and paint.

Anyone know a good bodyshop in the NOVA area? I'd like to get it fixed perfectly and as quickly as possible.

Thanks

ArtM3
Tue, Nov-02-2004, 01:48:48 AM
Sucks big time...well the first is the worst, you've 'busted your cherry'! LOL

Sirius is the man when it comes to this stuff, he's close to DC, a little south I think.

BigHat
Tue, Nov-02-2004, 02:07:58 AM
Yes he is. Hoped he and others would weigh in.

So lucky. Almost 6 years without so much as a door ding. I was due. Just pissed that I did it to the car.

Sirius
Tue, Nov-02-2004, 02:29:39 AM
Lots of people getting damage dealt to their cars here lately. :\

Well, I am pretty much right in the middle of Fairfax, so is the shop.

You're welcome to stop by if you like. I will tell you we are backed up a couple weeks though.

Nixlimited
Tue, Nov-02-2004, 03:37:36 AM
I would go to Sirius first, and if not, check out wagonwerks, they are supposed to be a great shop. What do you think Trevor?

Sirius
Tue, Nov-02-2004, 05:02:41 AM
I agree. The only other shops we recommened in the area are Wagonworks and Precision Collision. Both are excellent shops.

BMW F1
Tue, Nov-02-2004, 08:10:08 AM
Arrrrrrr we are they guys like u in Oz. Anyone in Melbourne Australia need work done on their BMW let me know.

tgibrit
Tue, Nov-02-2004, 02:17:41 PM
I have used Precision Auto for a major repair on a Lexus and overall was happy with the quality of the repair. Pete Petursson is the owner and takes a great pride in his shop.

I tried to schedule an appointment with Wagonwerks but the earliest date was 2 months away.

I personally would avoid BMW of Fairfax, i have had two very poor jobs completed in their body shop, i may just have been unlucky or i am very picky.

If it was not your fault don't forget diminished value.

timexp99
Tue, Nov-02-2004, 04:50:08 PM
Wagonwerks or Wagonwerks II does great work. The regular werks is for BMWs and II is for MB and higher end cars. My M3 has had work done by both and they do perfect work! Of course, the wait is long (5 weeks, typical wait time) and they are expensive (2K to repair (no metal work at all) my rear quarter panel... it was to repair an inch scratch, down to the metal, and respray the whole quarter panel)!!!

But I highly recommand them. They are the only shop that will touch my M3.

BigHat
Wed, Nov-03-2004, 02:06:01 AM
I appreciate all the advice.

Think I'll call Wagonwerks.

No offense Sirius. You do great things here, but BMW of Fairfax may be the the worst BMW dealership in the area. I have NEVER heard a positive statement about them. The sales staff makes you wanna shower after talking with them. I had hoped service had a better rep. but others have stated they weren't happy.

As to diminished value. It was a stupid mistake on my part. I didn't bend a micron of metal and simply scraped a small amount of paint on a nearly new car. I'd think this can be fixed without long-term problems.

Sirius
Wed, Nov-03-2004, 02:19:16 AM
None taken. I am not management, I have very little say in how the business/dealer is run.

Most of the problem I see is that everything is based off numbers. Need to hit X number at X value to meet X goal by X date set by the owners of the dealer. That I fear leads to less customer service and less customer satifaction than you would find at shop that doesn't have their heads burried in reports, statistics, and montly number goals. :roll:

From what I have been told about the history of BMW of Fairfax, that it was alot better place before it was owned by a major corperation, before the corprate thugs moved in, it was a family owned dealer, who cared more about service and satifaction than about some damn number. Been told this on a number of occasions by alot of customers. For example: Before Sonic Automotive took over BMW of Fairfax, customers used to be able to get their cars washed, I think for free, over the weekends. Not any more, that costs too much.

When I deal with people, I try my best to be as kind/helpful as I can. But I can only do so much myself.

Wagonwerks is a great shop, you shouldn't be disappointed by their work.

Watch me get fired for this. ;)

Guido
Wed, Nov-03-2004, 06:20:34 PM
bmw of ffx body shop is decent

Nixlimited
Wed, Nov-03-2004, 07:36:08 PM
what rube moved this to SE? Virginia is about as SE as Bush is democratic

Sirius
Thu, Nov-04-2004, 01:09:04 AM
Well, they have VA listen in the SE section here. Thus, thats where it went.

Nixlimited
Thu, Nov-04-2004, 01:24:32 AM
Well, they have VA listen in the SE section here. Thus, thats where it went.

South East...has the person who made that decision ever seen a map?

BigHat
Thu, Nov-04-2004, 01:31:42 AM
The reality is that VA is a different state south of Fredericksburg. But if you are assessing the entire state by square mile it's more like NC than MD.

Okay back to the subject. Any comments on the work done by a bodyshop named First Choice?

Nixlimited
Thu, Nov-04-2004, 01:40:18 AM
I agree! Thus the nomenclature "NOVA." I used to live in Arlington btw.

BigHat
Sat, Nov-06-2004, 09:08:26 PM
To my surprise, what I thought was paint GONE from my car was actually paint ON my car. I got about 98% percent of it off. There are some scratches on my car but none though the paint. If you look very closely you can see tiny ripples where I hit.

There I'll throw a couple coats on good protective wax on it and wait to repaint after the winter.

Anyone see a downside to waiting?

Sirius
Sat, Nov-06-2004, 11:37:06 PM
No downside. As long as the corrosion protection isn't damaged you'll be fine.