Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Cleaning 19 inch rims

lightspeed
Wed, Oct-27-2004, 02:23:58 PM
What do you guys use to clean your 19" rims?

Sprays, etc...

Rob's Archive
Wed, Oct-27-2004, 02:30:47 PM
simple green spray...water and a wheel brush

lightspeed
Wed, Oct-27-2004, 03:12:04 PM
So you don't use any special products to get rid of the break dust, etc?

lightspeed
Wed, Oct-27-2004, 03:12:44 PM
The reason I'm asking is that I don't want to destroy the color or the finish on the 19" rims.

FB
Wed, Oct-27-2004, 03:18:20 PM
soap, water and a bit of elbow grease - that's the best way IMO...

jerrygee
Wed, Oct-27-2004, 03:31:41 PM
I clean my 19 OEM wheels with soap and water and dry them with a chamois or terrycloth towel and then apply a coat of car wax every now and then. The wax facilitates in easy wheel clean up.

I have tried expense waxes and cleaners like Zymol and have found that for a tenth of the price I can get very good results from products found at your local auto parts store and get those results with a lot less work.

NsSeX
Wed, Oct-27-2004, 03:34:43 PM
I second Simple Green. Great stuff.

Sirius
Wed, Oct-27-2004, 03:57:21 PM
WEll, I don't have E46 rims, but I have used Meguries hot rims at home on my polished ltw's, and our super acidic cleaner on ALL BMW rims at work, including mine.

You can use any highly agressive cleaner over and over without issues as long as you know how to use them correctly.

BaDm0theR
Wed, Oct-27-2004, 04:26:29 PM
Eagle one A2Z has worked well for me. Simple green diluted also works nicely.

When using the more acidic/harsher wheel cleaners, as long as you dont let the liquid stay on too long, your rims will be cleaned nicely without any risk of damage.

Rob's Archive
Wed, Oct-27-2004, 05:39:54 PM
Werd...even the official detailer of M3forum says that simple green is good. Im smart

TCM
Wed, Oct-27-2004, 11:31:27 PM
I usually just wash the rims with a small seperate sponge and the soap I use to wash the body of the car. Then, when I detail, I remove wheels and clean with a quality wheel cleaner such as P21S, Zymol, etc and wax the rims. If you keep wax on the rims, the car soap should take the brake dust off with no problems.

acitydweller
Mon, Nov-01-2004, 02:13:24 PM
make sure you add some wax after your cleaning to protect the clear coat. You can try the Mother's chrome wax specifically made for rims.

Rob's Archive
Mon, Nov-01-2004, 04:56:33 PM
Wheel Wax...sold by lots of places. I dont know how chrome wax would work...i guess since its by meg. it would work well though

Kendrick07
Mon, Nov-01-2004, 08:32:11 PM
i've always used a high pressure washer for my 19" wheels...this doesnt damage does it?

Grimm333
Wed, Nov-03-2004, 11:40:20 PM
i use a nice soft MF brush...with Meguiars Wheel and Rim cleaner and it works great...but our m3's have so much brake dust..you need to keep refinishing it...

BMW F1
Sun, Nov-07-2004, 02:12:33 AM
I use a different sponge and cloth to clean the rims from the one I use to wash the car. I usually wash the rims a couple of times depending on how dirty they are but I dont use any products on them to clean other than hot soapy water and elbow grease.

M3IZZY
Sun, Nov-07-2004, 05:37:54 AM
John at www.properautocare.com told me never to use Simple Green. If you have any scratches or scrapes, it can settle in there and eventually cause rust. Also, the stuffs not developed for use on rims. If you drive a Toyota Corolla yeah, but an M3?

I use this stuff: http://www.properautocare.com/hi-c32.html. I buy a gallon and dilute it 3 to 1 and get a ph just a bit lower than the P21 wheel cleaner. Gallon lasts forever and the brake dust come's right off w/ a brush and I hit the crevices with an old chenille mit. You can also use the stuff on the tire itself and for your floor mats when and if they get dirty.

To shine'm up, I use this on occasion- http://superiorcarcare.net/moclcowhpo.html. It's like a wax for rims and safe on clear coats. I really notice a distinct difference after I throw this stuff on. And it smells great for some reason.

Call me crazy, but that's my routine.

ArtM3
Sun, Nov-14-2004, 02:03:39 AM
Wash regularly with simple green and a mitt

occasionally ps21 wheel cleaner, on a foam brush to get the slots, etc.
then a coat of Klasse all-in-one with a micro fiber

Beowoulf
Sun, Nov-14-2004, 05:23:17 AM
I use the P21S wheel cleaner it works but it is expensive. I wouldn't use simple green because it can cause damage if not removed 100% and if you overspray it on the paint. Better safe than sorry. One detailer told me you can also use one of those household orange/citrus cleaners that has been diluted but I stick to what I know and what is recommended by most high end auto manufacturers.

ArtM3
Sun, Nov-14-2004, 08:53:12 PM
I use the P21S wheel cleaner it works but it is expensive. I wouldn't use simple green because it can cause damage if not removed 100% and if you overspray it on the paint. Better safe than sorry. One detailer told me you can also use one of those household orange/citrus cleaners that has been diluted but I stick to what I know and what is recommended by most high end auto manufacturers.

I use simple green diluted probably 20:1 or less. The stuff is ph neutral, biodegradable, non-toxic, you could actually drink it! It also shows a picture of a wheel on the gal jug, i.e., for use as a wheel cleaner. I do make sure that I thoroughly rinse the wheels. It does not strip the Klasse AIO off.

A little overspray is no match for 3 coats of Klasse SG, in fact if the car has a lot of road grime from a long trip in bad weather (something people in SD wouldn't know about, LOL, my wife told me, she lived there for 8 years), I'll use a wash of very diluted simple green to wash the car, rinsing ever panel, after washed, i.e., roof, trunk, hood, etc. It shimmers when done. Does not do any damage to the Klasse.

The PS21 is used after I wash & rinse the wheels. I spray it on a disposable foam brush and clean the wheel with it, respraying as required. Thoroughly rinsing each wheel when done. A 1/2 lt, has lasted me well over a couple of years (at least 25 wheel cleanings), and there's still some left. I do this about once a month.

Been doing the same thing for many years, and the wheels look new (except when I screw up and curb them. :( )

DJ9
Mon, Nov-15-2004, 07:56:29 PM
Best stuff out there in my opinion is P21S wheel cleaner. The stuff is fantastic and most importantly it is non-acidic, so it will not harm the finish on your rims.

Check out www.carcareonline.com

ggs
Wed, Nov-17-2004, 03:43:49 AM
For those of you up in the wintry north, what do you guys do in winter?

M3IZZY
Wed, Nov-17-2004, 09:36:09 PM
For those of you up in the wintry north, what do you guys do in winter?

Just spray it up with Simple Green! Eats right through the snow and your clearcoat.

j/k *try at your own risk*

Roguish Racing
Thu, Nov-18-2004, 08:48:27 AM
Usually use soap and water and a brush for the tiny crevices, then air dry with a compressor. Once the wheel is completely dry...use eagle one mag and aluminum polish - it is a great product...I'd recommend wearing gloves when using since the stuff can get your hands very dirty gettin all the unseen dirt off....

intohealth
Thu, Jan-06-2005, 10:30:17 PM
What do you guys use to clean your 19" rims?

Sprays, etc...

I use a pressure washer and deionized water. That takes off almost everything very easily. Follow up with zymol car wash. Use Wheel Wax to make them sparkle. They'll stay that way until you drive around the corner and the brake dust collects again.

acitydweller
Sun, Jan-09-2005, 07:15:28 AM
After you wash and clean your rims, add a coat of wax to keep the brake dust from sticking going forward.