Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : how to fix this?

svb
Tue, Oct-26-2004, 02:44:46 AM
http://members.roadfly.com/retina/mirror.bmp

Paint chip and scratch in mirror housing. Should I replace or can it be touched up.

SpecialK
Tue, Oct-26-2004, 02:46:40 AM
Get it repainted. Shouldn't be a tough repair and no need to replace. Save your money.

BaDm0theR
Tue, Oct-26-2004, 02:31:32 PM
Well, it depends how deep that scratch is to be honest. To me, it looks llike a paint smudge, as if someone else's paint rubbed off onto your car, as opposed to rubbing INTO your car. Buy some 'goo gone' or 'goof off' and see if a small dab of that, mixed onto a nice microfiber will help remove the imperfection...be sure to rinse the area afterwords (preferably polishing and waxing it too).

The long hairline scratch is a diff. story. If you can feel that with your finger nail, and feel a significant groove, you may need paint after all. Its pretty hard for me to judge exactly though simply through the picture.

I had a 2003 4Runner i detailed, and it had 3 similar scuff marks on the paint, 2 of them white, one of them was red (some shmuck opened their car door onto the 4Runner too hard)...il try to find pics and post results.

:D

acitydweller
Mon, Nov-01-2004, 03:37:27 PM
if it cut through the paint down to the base coat, you can either use touch up paint to cover it up, or have the entire mirror painted.

Kendrick07
Mon, Nov-01-2004, 09:34:24 PM
ive always had a bad experience with touch up paint. it always globs or sometimes even leaves a more noticable mark. any suggestions on applying touch up for those metal deep marks? i have the two bottle set from bmw.

Sirius
Tue, Nov-02-2004, 02:32:13 AM
Depends on how deep it is. Try wet sanding it with some 1000 grit sand paper, then with some 1500 or 3000 grit wetsand. Be very careful though, easy to burn through the clear coat with wetsanding.