Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Swirl marks any help would be great!

M Power e46
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 12:18:33 AM
Does anyone know how to get swirl marks out of paint. the kind of marks that I am talkin about look like they came from someone buffing the car the wrong way and you can only see them in intense lighting. I used mothers wax which was helpful but when the sun is shining strong I can see them and they appear to move as I walk around the car.

After I had the hood repainted on one of my other cars these marks were the same as the ones that I am describing now but the body shop guy told me that a coat of wax would get them out but in this case I think it needs something stronger than hand waxing like buffing it out the right way... can any one give me some advice

ArtM3
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 12:21:25 AM
http://www.autopia.org/index.php

this site has more info on that sort of stuff than you can imagine

having said that, something like this is better left to a pro, more damage can be done by someone not knowing exactly what to do

Kendrick07
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 12:27:09 AM
http://www.autopia.org/index.php

this site has more info on that sort of stuff than you can imagine

having said that, something like this is better left to a pro, more damage can be done by someone not knowing exactly what to do

if you want to go beyond waxing, leave to pro.

M Power e46
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 01:11:33 AM
thanx...i kinda figured that but I figured I'd ask

Beowoulf
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 07:36:08 AM
First make sure you are washing properly with the right material to prevent scratches. To remove the swirl marks you really need a swirl mark remover and a random orbital buffer or just take it to a detailer.

epM3cisa
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 11:24:38 AM
You can use Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover or #83 DACP and a porter cable (7224/7336). Go with #9 first if that doesnt work go with #83. Use a yellow cutting pad on the porter cable. Dont worry the pc is fairly safe. The only time you can cause a problem with the pc is if you use too abrasive of a product and pad. Start light then go heavy. Check out autopia.org for more info.

Rogers
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 02:30:48 PM
I have 2 black cars and if the swirls aren't too deep.....I swear by using Zymol car wax.

epM3cisa
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 02:38:41 PM
I have 2 black cars and if the swirls aren't too deep.....I swear by using Zymol car wax.

A wax will cover up or fill in the swirls but not remove them.

If you are not picky then go with some of the products that contain fillers to just hide them temporarily.

Beowoulf
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 04:16:52 PM
You can use Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover or #83 DACP and a porter cable (7224/7336). Go with #9 first if that doesnt work go with #83. Use a yellow cutting pad on the porter cable. Dont worry the pc is fairly safe. The only time you can cause a problem with the pc is if you use too abrasive of a product and pad. Start light then go heavy. Check out autopia.org for more info.
I wouldn't be using DACP on simple swirl marks, it's too abrasive. The 3M SMR for dark cars is readily available and will work fine without removing too much of the clearcoat. I would save the DACP for when he needs a good polish on the car.

Sirius
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 04:20:54 PM
Make sure the materials you're using to wash your car are clean. If you use a chamois/asorber, wash it in your washer from time to time to get the stuck in dirt out. Same with your wash mit. Alot of people don't realize, but just washing a black car can lead to swirl marks.

Yes, I wash my mits/chamois/asorber all the time. You should see how much dirt comes out of them.

I actually wash them twice. No fabric softener. Once with soap, then another round in just water to get the rest of the crap out.

epM3cisa
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 06:01:27 PM
I wouldn't be using DACP on simple swirl marks, it's too abrasive. The 3M SMR for dark cars is readily available and will work fine without removing too much of the clearcoat. I would save the DACP for when he needs a good polish on the car.

I agree. That is why I said go with #9 SMR first. Then try DACP if necessary. Always try the lest abrasive product first. I have never tried 3M SMR. Have you tried and compared to Megs #9?

Curious. Thx.

BaDm0theR
Fri, Oct-22-2004, 08:35:46 PM
There's alot of variability in a question like this my friend.

It depends how sever the swirls are, and what induced them (ie machine induced swirls/holograms, drying/washing swirls etc...)

Rule of thumb when trying to correct paint imperfections is start with the least abrasive product, and work your way up, seeing what works best.

Meaning, you can start with something mild like Meg's #9 swirl remover with a Meg's polishing pad using a Porter cable, and test the results. If the swirls are still present, you may need to step up in Pad agressiveness (like the burgundy cutting pad), and/or product abrasiveness (like the heavier cutting/polishing of Meg's DACP).

If you do use abrasive pads/products when correcting problems like these, its always crucial to follow up with the more mild polishing/SMR agents to remove any potential micro-marring that the harsher abrasive products leave behind. After you ensure that the swirls have been buffed out, the hazing/marring has been polished out...follow with a nice wax and/or sealant to protect your work, and your good to go!

:D

MaNaWaR
Sun, Oct-31-2004, 06:37:46 PM
everything said here is true. esp on black you need to be extra careful in how you wash because if you are using the wrong things or dirty mits, then you are creating micromarring (swirl marks) if they are anything other than ultra light swirls, you are going to need a pc. i would suggest starting with megs #82 on a panel with a polishing pad and see if that works. if that doesnt work try #80 with polishing pad. and if that doesnt work you will probably need 83 dacp. this product is difficult to work with if you havent before but if used right it provides amazing results. that should eliminate your swirls and if it somehow doesnt, you are going to need a cutting pad. i didnt recomend megs #9 because, it is only good for really light swirl marks and it actually fills them and doent remove them, so i like 80 or 82 instead. also check out autopia.org and you will find all the info you need. if you use dacp, make sure you work it until it breaks down (into dust) and you will probably need to follow up with something else as it might leave haziness. be careful with that stuff, its pretty strong, but can work wonders also.
Andrew

acitydweller
Mon, Nov-01-2004, 02:07:15 PM
if the swirls are as severe as you claim, the car was probably car washed before. Best thing to do is to use a polish to fill the swirl crevaces and and maintain several layers of carnuba wax for protection.

My friend didnt believe i could restore the finish on his 1998 black honda accord EX but after i did the trunk lid and quarter panel, he was a believer.

NetBoy
Wed, Nov-03-2004, 02:39:17 AM
I have a 2003 TiAG M3 8000 miles with light swirls.
Got the Porter Cable 7424, yellow pad, Menzerna Intensive Polish. Had to use the PC at speed 5. Also used a 50 alcohol and 50 water to wipe the polish off. Used a halogen lamp or direct sunlight to look for swirls.

I completely removed 90% of the swirls. All for $200 of material. 6 hours washing, claying, and using the PC to remove swirls.

I wasted some time using the wrong stuff. Orange pad and too slow speed on the PC, didn't remove the swirls.

Grimm333
Wed, Nov-03-2004, 11:41:45 PM
start with a slow speed on your PC...i used the DACP with the burgundy color pad and then slowly increased the speed.

my lexus no longer has swirls ;)

E46M3Rod
Wed, Nov-17-2004, 11:53:05 PM
I agree. That is why I said go with #9 SMR first. Then try DACP if necessary. Always try the lest abrasive product first. I have never tried 3M SMR. Have you tried and compared to Megs #9?

Curious. Thx.

3M Hand Glaze and SMR kick butt. It's better than Megs IMO.

M3peat
Fri, Nov-19-2004, 03:06:27 AM
Meguiar's #7 Sealer and glaze with a microfiiber towel and ONLY wiping the towel from front to back, not in circles.

Beowoulf
Fri, Nov-19-2004, 06:06:49 PM
The problem with sealers and glazes is that they mask the swirls rather than remove them. They usually have pigment that imbeds in the crevices and after a while they will be gone and you will be back where you started. To remove swirls, you have to remove some clearcoat to get the finish even again.

riuster
Fri, Nov-19-2004, 06:13:18 PM
Advice:

You touch that ROTARY polisher, you better know or have experience with that.....and at what RPM is needed to remove the swirl..also....if you do..the pad is important..3M waffle pads are THE best to remove swirls....not the flat type of polish pads...

waffle vs. Flat....you can figure out why....and the other comment

what is considered a PRO these days....you get a moron a polisher, ROTARY polisher and permission to work on your vehicle..you better pray to Allah..its the same as giving nukes to the Al queda...

Better to use the ORBITAL polisher....probably recommended from other forum members...some product id code was used....but...unless you keep rubbing at it....swirls are hardly removed....by apply it once for a few seconds doesnt remove swirls....one has to keep rubbing it.....on the surface to mend the clear coat....

practice on a crappy car before your M......

speedking
Fri, Dec-31-2004, 01:16:02 AM
Just kinda curious. How did the swirl removal turn out? Any pics?

I've had the same detailer for close to a yr now, but they were out of the country on some type of show, so I decided to call out another local detailer and they put on a crap load of swirls on my baby. Now, I'm stuck w/ looking at the swirls every day. For the entire time w/ my previous detailer, they never put any marks on my car, instead, they took out scratches for me as a courtesy. Now, I feel stupid this happened. My pro detailer will not be back til mid jan.........hopefully, someone here can help me out