Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Bearing Work Warning - United BMW Alpharetta GA

stkbmeyer
Sun, Oct-17-2004, 01:57:11 PM
I took my M3 in for the bearing work this past week and had a number of errors. I'm livid about some of these things as it's a lack of care/effort on the part of the service team. Let me first say that I went to United BMW in Alpharetta, GA and I've had other issues (errors) with them in the past.

Here were the things were messed up.
1. They overfilled the oil -- not by a little bit, but the oil mark almost goes to the metal piece on the dipstick!! This is next to unbelieveable since I have ALSO taken my car into them in the past for oil changes (on my own dime) and have handed the service notice about how they are supposed to handle the changes --- TWICE. Each of those times I still ended up getting the car back with overfilled oil.
2. The steering wheel is crooked -- not sure how this happened, but it's pointing at about 10 'clock.
3. Proof work completed and break-in schedule -- there were no stickers indicating that the work had been completed (there's supposed to be a sticker on the driver side door) nor is there anything telling me (nor did anyone tell me) that there's a break-in period post work. I even checked the car before I left and asked one of the service reps why there wasn't any, and he claimed that they weren't doing that anymore (not true). Thank goodness for this site which helps me, but what about all of the other poor schleps that have no clue.

I've called BMWNA to ask if all of these things were wrong and of course they said they were. I'm meeting the service manager on Monday, but what a fu**ing joke. If the basic/simple things are not donw right, what confidence should I have that the complex work of replacing the bearings were done correctly? What confidence do I have that they are even using the REQUIRED 10W/60 Oil, if they cannot follow the basics. Perhaps I'm over-reacting, but I feel this stuff is really basic and is unacceptable to have service like this.

c42001
Mon, Nov-29-2004, 01:03:12 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I've owned many cars and somtimes you have to make your point with a dealer before they act.
One thing for sure, Erik with BMWNA is the best, he'll make it right...
No doubt....

NickRD
Mon, Nov-29-2004, 03:47:46 AM
Dayum, sorry to hear... Uggg... That's why I stay as far awat from the stealerships as possible.. Yea, it may cost me more to get routine work done by a buddy or another "smaller" BMW workshop, but it pays for itself with crap like this..

Good luck my friend...

Experimental M3
Mon, Nov-29-2004, 04:59:33 AM
What happened at the meeting with the manager?

ShaunATL
Tue, Nov-30-2004, 01:08:34 AM
Sorry to hear about this. I've started taking mine to Athens for all of the scheduled maintenance.

I did have one bad experience at United - I stopped by one day because the low oil light was coming on when I shut off the engine, and when the guy came out to top it off he had a bottle of the regular oil (not the 10W-60). I mentioned that the M3 used a different oil and pointed to the label under the hood, and he went back inside and got the right bottle.

They've been great there from a customer service perspective, but these mistakes are a little scary, and it makes you wonder what they've done wrong that you're not aware of.

Big_Rig
Thu, Feb-24-2005, 05:59:11 PM
stkbmeyer Are you in Alpharetta? Have you ever tried a place called Preforming Imports in roswell? I took my M there to get an oil change not too long ago. I know they didn't make any mistakes because i got to stand in the bay with the tech while he did it.