Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : I'm New and have a couple of questions..

PhilsM3
Thu, Oct-14-2004, 03:59:26 AM
Hey guys, I've been following up for a while and this is my first post. I would like to know what kind of wheel cleaners not to use, so I dont damage my wheels. Which wheel cleaners damage the clearcoat so i dont use them? Thanks for your imput. :hmm:

RydeWitM3
Thu, Oct-14-2004, 04:12:53 AM
Congrats on joining the forum Phil!! :beer: Can't wait till we get our intakes installed this friday.

I'm not sure as to what not to use, but I'm sure there will plenty of input here, everyone is very knowledgable.

Roguish Racing
Thu, Oct-14-2004, 04:19:01 AM
There should be plenty of help in the Detailing Section of the board...welcome by the way!

ARH1956
Thu, Oct-14-2004, 04:45:11 AM
I use the same thing to clean my wheels as the car. A mild car wash, nothing harsher than that.

Beowoulf
Thu, Oct-14-2004, 05:33:31 AM
I can't name all the ones you shouldn't use so I'll tell you what works and is safe. P21S liguid or gel. Try www.autogeek.net

epM3cisa
Thu, Oct-14-2004, 01:00:23 PM
I use the same thing to clean my wheels as the car. A mild car wash, nothing harsher than that.

I spray the wheels, tires, and wheel wells first with a mix of auto shampoo and water. While that is soaking in I use the wash water (wash wheels last) with a sponge and small foam brush to clean the wheels. If the wheels have alot of brake dust then I pre-treat with a citrus degreaser diluted 1:1 with water. You can search autopia.org and detailcity.com for some stronger wheel cleaners like a2z.

(edited for spelling)

RydeWitM3
Fri, Oct-15-2004, 12:56:39 AM
just out of curiousity guys, what wheel cleaner would damage the clear coat??

TIA

M34U2NV
Fri, Oct-15-2004, 02:44:06 AM
The dupont teflon wheel cleaner really works nice I think. . .

Sirius
Fri, Oct-15-2004, 03:52:13 AM
We use this stuff at work that'll melt the paint off the OEM wheels if you're not careful. Don't use that.

Grimm333
Fri, Oct-15-2004, 04:00:46 PM
i just use Meguiars NXT wheel/tire...works great and it really does a good job of repeling that brake dust to a certain extent...

i believe there is a company coming out with a spray type of polish you spray on your rims and it is supposed to completely repel brake dust

M34U2NV
Fri, Oct-15-2004, 05:30:30 PM
i just use Meguiars NXT wheel/tire...works great and it really does a good job of repeling that brake dust to a certain extent...

i believe there is a company coming out with a spray type of polish you spray on your rims and it is supposed to completely repel brake dust

Now are you talking about the NXT Polysh for the wheels??

-Frank

RydeWitM3
Sat, Oct-16-2004, 08:45:34 AM
We use this stuff at work that'll melt the paint off the OEM wheels if you're not careful. Don't use that.

which cleaner is that, lol. i need some of that stuff. :hmm:

Beowoulf
Sat, Oct-16-2004, 06:58:59 PM
If you want to keep your wheels cleaner and make them easier to clean, put a couple of coats of wax on them. The same stuff you put on the car will do.

NsSeX
Tue, Oct-26-2004, 05:47:21 AM
"simple green" works really well. you can buy it at costco or at stores like home depot/ace/ etc..... and it's not harsh on your rims.

SpecialK
Wed, Oct-27-2004, 01:01:41 AM
Read the label and don't use products that contain any lye. Very bad especially if you overspray which is near impossible to prevent. There are a variety of products out there that are safe and a great link was previously mentioned at Auto Geek. Another is http://www.properautocare.com which I use often. Good luck.

acitydweller
Mon, Nov-01-2004, 03:29:40 PM
my recommendation for wheel care is...

if you can do without using a wheel brush, then dont use one. I have always cleaned my rims by hand with a wet cloth and degreaser. A sturdy wheel brush will add scratches over the rim clearcoat over time so just be aware... conveniences now will show later on in the years to come...

always add a coat of wax if you are cleaning the wheels for added protection.