Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Claying after waxing??

Antz_Marchin
Tue, Oct-12-2004, 07:55:43 AM
I want to put another coat of wax on my car but I've had it out on the road (only for a total of 30 minutes of driving) since the last coat, it is safe to just wax or does it need a full wash again first. Can I just dust, then clay bar the current coat of wax to clean it before the next waxing or will the clay remove the initial coat?? :banghead:

Roguish Racing
Tue, Oct-12-2004, 04:40:09 PM
The clay will remove the original coat...claying is supposed to remove one clear coat that's why the car feels so smooth after doing it...

TCM
Tue, Oct-12-2004, 04:48:59 PM
Wash the car again and then wax. You never want to touch the paint after the car has been driven and accumulated some dust as the dusst particles will scratch the clearcoat. Hope this helps.

Antz_Marchin
Tue, Oct-12-2004, 05:01:26 PM
That's what I wanted to know...........Thanks to both

Beowoulf
Tue, Oct-12-2004, 06:13:19 PM
The clay will remove the original coat...claying is supposed to remove one clear coat that's why the car feels so smooth after doing it...
Actually, clay will not remove the clear coat, just the deposits that are embedded in it.

Sirius
Tue, Oct-12-2004, 07:33:22 PM
I never believed in the clay bar until I used it at work to remove stuck on, rusted metal bits on the paint of a customers car. I am now a firm believer. It was effortless.

Guido
Tue, Oct-12-2004, 09:25:24 PM
im gonna have to try it with all the ranting n raving aobut it

BaDm0theR
Tue, Oct-12-2004, 10:48:30 PM
You can just do a thorough wash and then proceed to layer another coat of wax on the car.

A properly detailed/garaged car can be clayed as little as 1-3 times in a year. Really depends on how its stored, how often you drive it, and what environmental conditions its exposed to.

;)

woptang22
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 10:24:54 PM
I never believed in the clay bar until I used it at work to remove stuck on, rusted metal bits on the paint of a customers car. I am now a firm believer. It was effortless.
Is it difficult at all to use a clay bar? I have a jet black 02 M3 so I need to get the paint clean, get some swirl marks out, and wax it. I just dont want to damage the paint by using a clay bar since I have never done it before. Maybe you can give me some pointers? Thanks John

epM3cisa
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 10:44:02 PM
Using a clay bar is very easy. Two keys: 1) make sure that you go in the direction the wind travels from front to back (do not rub) and 2) keep the surface well lubricated. A straight motion front to back will work. I use a spray bottle mixed with dawn and water. You can buy a clay bar lubricant but it is not necessary. If the clay hits the ground toss it out.

Here is some good info:
http://www.ocdetails.com/html/clay_and_ifo.html

Good luck. Dont be scared. :beer:

acitydweller
Mon, Nov-01-2004, 03:56:49 PM
as a rule of thumb, always clean the surface which will be clayed. Failure to do so will have the clay pickkup debris and then drag it across the area where the clay will be applied.

As great as the claybar is, be mindful of clearing the car's finish of contaminents. failure to do so will ruin the car's finish and marr it with mine scratches.

Grimm333
Thu, Nov-04-2004, 12:39:27 AM
for best...try doing it in a garage type environment...

i have seen many people going to the local quarter washes and detailing there since they are more enclosed....

Grzldvt
Sat, Nov-06-2004, 01:21:48 PM
I will add another tip, put a plastic drop cloth under the car in the area you are working with. If you drop the clay on the ground, you will have to throw it away, drop it on the plastic, and you have a good chance of saving it.
If you do drop it, ALWAYS inspect it thoroughly for dirt particles. Some can be picked out, but if you can see several bits, toss it because it will scratch the finsih.