Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Rubbing with Bilstein PSS9

GelbM3
Mon, Oct-11-2004, 12:35:42 AM
I recently installed the Bilstein PSS9 suspension and Ground Control front camber plates. I lowered the car 20mm in the front and 15mm in the rear. I set the front camber to negative 2 degrees and left the rear camber “stock”. I have the shocks set to “4” front and rear. I have noticed that the rear springs seem much softer than stock. I have not actually tested them, but the Bilstein springs certainly “look” softer (more coils) and based on the tire rubbing problems I have encountered, certainly “act” softer.

I do an occasional drivers school and at the track run 265/35-18 tires on Comp SSR (9.5 x 18) wheels with 15mm spacers in the rear; this is a pretty standard setup. My street tires (also my rain setup) are 255/40-18 on 9” OEM M3 wheels both front and rear and 15mm spacers in the rear. This provides a near identical front and rear tire centerline placement for both the street/wet and track setups and I can rotate tires front to back to reduce wear.

On the street, there was no rubbing, but on the track (using wet setup which = street setup) there was significant rubbing in the rear (none in the front). I raised the rear 12mm (great fun doing this at the track in the rain), but the rears still kissed occasionally. I then switched to the track tires as the weather improved and virtually eliminated the rubbing (the 265/35 tires are a bit wider but are also ¾” smaller in outer diameter so I gained almost 3/8” of vertical clearance). I can probably live with this if I increase the rear camber a little.

Has anyone else who installed this coilover package had similar experiences with the rear end feeling “soft”. I know that the OEM rear springs are pretty stiff.

Is anyone running a “lowered” car (Bilstein or other) with the Comp SSR setup? If so, how much lower can you run? Did you increase the negative camber in the rear? I think approx 1.8 degrees (negative) is possible with the stock components.

Thanks for any help or feedback.

jonam
Mon, Oct-11-2004, 03:34:52 AM
People reported 15mm spacer in the rear with SSRcomp will rub. Common setup is using 10mm in the rear from tirerack spacers. Heard 12mm works, too if you want with maybe good negative camber.

GelbM3
Mon, Oct-11-2004, 12:44:41 PM
People reported 15mm spacer in the rear with SSRcomp will rub. Common setup is using 10mm in the rear from tirerack spacers. Heard 12mm works, too if you want with maybe good negative camber.
Are these reports of rubbing with 15mm spacers for the stock suspension or for an aftermarket suspension, e.g., Bilstein PSS9, other coilovers, other lowered, etc. I had no problems with rubbing until I replaced the stock suspension.

jonam
Tue, Oct-12-2004, 03:16:14 AM
Are these reports of rubbing with 15mm spacers for the stock suspension or for an aftermarket suspension, e.g., Bilstein PSS9, other coilovers, other lowered, etc. I had no problems with rubbing until I replaced the stock suspension.
After market, lowered for track slightly over 13" (from center of the wheel to the fender)
Get 10mm spacer from tirerack which is specially designed for SSRcomps. this will solve the problem. If not, sell it to me, I'll buy them from you :D

GelbM3
Thu, Oct-14-2004, 12:21:43 AM
After market, lowered for track slightly over 13" (from center of the wheel to the fender)
Get 10mm spacer from tirerack which is specially designed for SSRcomps. this will solve the problem. If not, sell it to me, I'll buy them from you :D

Thanks for the info on the 10mm spacers. Interestingly, the original data I received (from this forum) on the Comp SSRs was to go with 15mm spacers. I will contact TireRack and inquire about the special 10mm spacers for the Comp SSRs.

I am a bit concerned about the difference in track with smaller spacers. In stock form, the E46 M3 has a smaller front track by about 17mm. With stock front and rear wheels, I normally run 10mm spacers in the front to get the tracks about the same. With the 9.5x18, ET 35mm Comp SSRs front and rear, the front track grows by ~62mm and the rear track decreases by ~5mm. Even with 15mm spacers, the front track is ~20mm more than the rear. I had actually thought about 20mm spacers to get the front/rear difference down to 10mm. Reducing the rear spacers to 10mm decreases the rear track and one ends up with a front track that is ~30mm more than the rear. And all this assume stock camber. If one runs -2 deg in the front (vs the approx -1 deg stock), that effectively adds another 11mm of front track. Any thoughts?