Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : VA/DC Residents and Radar Detectors

nsanem3
Wed, Oct-06-2004, 05:07:55 PM
I may be moving soon so was wondering what you guys do about radar detectors. Do the cops bust people regularly for having them? What if you live in MD but drive through VA or DC? Can you get away with a permanent (stealthly) installed detector setup (Bel RX75, etc).

Beowoulf
Wed, Oct-06-2004, 05:09:32 PM
Why are you yelling?

Sirius
Wed, Oct-06-2004, 05:10:25 PM
Why are you yelling?

:haha: :haha:

I may be moving soon so was wondering what you guys do about radar detectors. Do the cops bust people regularly for having them? What if you live in MD but drive through VA or DC? Can you get away with a permanent (stealthly) installed detector setup (Bel RX75, etc).

The cops here are dicks. Plain and simple. :D

If they catch you with one, they'll write a ticket. It's illegal to use them here
in VA period from what I understand, even if your car is registered in MD.

Alot of guys chance it by hiding them, alot get smart and have them stealth installed.

Divexxtreme
Wed, Oct-06-2004, 05:25:27 PM
I have a Valentine 1 with remote display hardwired in both my M3 and my Cayenne. I've had the one in my M3 for two years...and during that time have been pulled over 3 times (HOV violation, illegal U-turn..but *never* for speeding). No police officer has noticed it yet (crossing fingers).

I can't even imagine how many thousands of dollars in fines and higher insurance it's saved me.

Sirius
Wed, Oct-06-2004, 05:26:26 PM
I have a Valentine 1 with remote display hardwired in both my M3 and my Cayenne. I've had the one in my M3 for two years...and during that time have been pulled over 3 times (HOV violation, illegal U-turn..but never for speeding). No police officer has noticed it yet.

I can't even imagine how many thousands of dollars in fines and higher insurance it's saved me.

Thats because you carry copperheads around in your car... they don't want to seach it. ;)

Divexxtreme
Wed, Oct-06-2004, 05:33:39 PM
Hehehe...:D

Thats because you carry copperheads around in your car... they don't want to seach it. ;)

nsanem3
Wed, Oct-06-2004, 05:42:43 PM
I have a Valentine 1 with remote display hardwired in both my M3 and my Cayenne. I've had the one in my M3 for two years...and during that time have been pulled over 3 times (HOV violation, illegal U-turn..but *never* for speeding). No police officer has noticed it yet (crossing fingers).

where do you have the v1 main unit mounted? above the rear view mirror?

Divexxtreme
Wed, Oct-06-2004, 05:58:12 PM
Yes...it's as high as possible. The concealed display is in my ashtray.

where do you have the v1 main unit mounted? above the rear view mirror?

Gherty_65
Wed, Oct-06-2004, 11:42:57 PM

don't ever move in to VA/MARYLAND. They are the most boring states ever. All that happens here, is rain then rain then rain. People are old or in mid 30s and 40s. Also all we have for fun is 3 places. One is Dullus town Center, Reston town center and Tyson's mall. DON'T RUIN your life. Its so boring here. I mean if you are a calm person who wants to wake up and see tress everwhere its good but other than that it's a NO NO.
VIRGINIA :pee: :bow: California

Sirius
Wed, Oct-06-2004, 11:48:19 PM
Lol. Not to mention its getting pretty crowded here.

Divexxtreme
Wed, Oct-06-2004, 11:48:27 PM
Gherty - I heard you were a Troll. Is that true? Just curious.....

don't ever move in to VA/MARYLAND. They are the most boring states ever. All that happens here, is rain then rain then rain. People are old or in mid 30s and 40s. Also all we have for fun is 3 places. One is Dullus town Center, Reston town center and Tyson's mall. DON'T RUIN your life. Its so boring here. I mean if you are like a calm person and wants like to wake up and see tress everwhere its good but other than that it's a NO NO.
VIRGINIA :pee: :bow: California

Sirius
Wed, Oct-06-2004, 11:49:27 PM
Gherty - I heard you were a Troll. Is that true? Just curious.....

http://members.cox.net/morpheus91/images/icons/troll.gif

Gherty_65
Wed, Oct-06-2004, 11:53:52 PM
no man, i don't know what's that dude's problem. He says like i say bad things about M3. If i didn't like M3 why would i even bother coming to this fourm. Ill just let him say what he says. I think he is just mad because one time there was a topic and i probably said something against what he had said. :peace:

SpecialK
Thu, Oct-07-2004, 12:58:18 AM
I would never use a V1 in VA that may successfully warn me on several occasions. That would be wrong to mount it discretely, say under the passenger headrest, or somewhere else in the car. Just plain wrong. What if it were to "braaaaap" or something and alert me to a rolling RADAR signal?

nsanem3
Thu, Oct-07-2004, 01:17:55 AM
I would never use a V1 in VA that may successfully warn me on several occasions. That would be wrong to mount it discretely, say under the passenger headrest, or somewhere else in the car. Just plain wrong. What if it were to "braaaaap" or something and alert me to a rolling RADAR signal?

passenger headrest. thats a new one. hmmm... :hmm:

silver_m333
Thu, Oct-07-2004, 03:08:50 AM
My buddy is from VA and he told me that his friend got busted for having a detector. The cop gave him the option of getting the ticket plus a fine for having the radar detector or running his radar detector over and no ticket. I'd sure as hell hate to have to shell out another $400 for a new V1. I guess it beats the ticket, extra fine, and insurance jump.

NoSoup4U
Thu, Oct-07-2004, 12:11:55 PM
The ticket for an illegally used radar detector is $75.00. My viewpoint, I'll pay the fine rather than points. I do not normally speed; but, some of the speeds are ridiculously slow around portions. Speed is 55 mph on highways but most people go 70. My car stands out ... so, easier to spot. I have countermeasures ... sold the V1 ... :thumbsup:

I've never been pulled over ... even when I had the V1 in plain sight. I just didn't care ... officer was right next to me on duke street, pulled me over ... started talking about cars ... he was heavy into f-bodies. Luckily, I knew about f-bodies and he just let me go ... told me to be careful. He said he could hear me a mile away ... :whistle:

So, lesson ... learn as much about cars b/c most officers are into cars just like we are ... just, they like the american muscle .. :thumbsup:

rsbartley
Tue, Apr-12-2005, 01:56:34 AM
So here's my story-We live in VA and decided to leave PA late and drive into VA Beach. We passed Richmond about 2AM. My wife was driving about 55 and we were 20 miles or so into 64 going east. The radar detector went off--she hit the brakes. The trooper pulled us over and just said my I see your radar detector. I said we were not speeding. He just said may I see the radar detector, saw it, and wrote the ticket.

You know what I think? He turned on the radar gun on and saw us hit the brakes and that was it. The fine was inconsequential but the insurance company treated it like a speeding violation.

I have also heard that troopers have a receiver that picks up some radiation from the detector, but who knows?

Mpassioned
Tue, Apr-12-2005, 02:26:34 AM
I have also heard that troopers have a receiver that picks up some radiation from the detector, but who knows?[/QUOTE]

I think they have radar detector, detectors. Which means you'll need to buy a radar detector, detector detector, for which they'll also have a radar detector detector, detector detector, and you'll be fined even more. Best to go undetected there detectrive.

Divexxtreme
Tue, Apr-12-2005, 03:08:49 AM
So here's my story-We live in VA and decided to leave PA late and drive into VA Beach. We passed Richmond about 2AM. My wife was driving about 55 and we were 20 miles or so into 64 going east. The radar detector went off--she hit the brakes. The trooper pulled us over and just said my I see your radar detector. I said we were not speeding. He just said may I see the radar detector, saw it, and wrote the ticket.

You know what I think? He turned on the radar gun on and saw us hit the brakes and that was it. The fine was inconsequential but the insurance company treated it like a speeding violation.

I have also heard that troopers have a receiver that picks up some radiation from the detector, but who knows?

I've used Valentine 1 radar detectors in my cars since I've been here (almost 5 years). I've never had a cop see or ask about my radar detector.

What detector are you using? I'm curious which brand it is since most of the new ones are undetectable to most of the normal equipment (all but one, which VA police don't use).

SpeedSyck
Tue, Apr-12-2005, 05:23:46 PM
I've used Valentine 1 radar detectors in my cars since I've been here (almost 5 years). I've never had a cop see or ask about my radar detector.

What detector are you using? I'm curious which brand it is since most of the new ones are undetectable to most of the normal equipment (all but one, which VA police don't use).

Most new school RD are not visible to 99% of the SoVA equipment.

X50 and V1 are undetectable.

mounted in a conspicuous location, you have protection and peace of mind.

I view them as an added shield against biased or dirty LEOs. ive been pulled a few times unecessarily. If I were guaranteed a fair trial and treatment, I might not condone the use of such items.

Hey, scott, when Can I get that ride? :wave:

DaBean
Tue, Apr-12-2005, 06:25:04 PM
Question:
I have my V1 hardwired, and placed as high as possible on the driver's side, but no stealth display. Should I remove it when going in VA? (I'm leaving for NoVa tonight...)

Budman
Wed, Apr-13-2005, 11:15:32 AM
Any places in VA that will hardwire and do stealth install of the V1.. sounds like I might have to save up some money to help save it in the long run..:)

SpeedSyck
Wed, Apr-13-2005, 06:27:37 PM
Question:
I have my V1 hardwired, and placed as high as possible on the driver's side, but no stealth display. Should I remove it when going in VA? (I'm leaving for NoVa tonight...)

you going interstate 95, or I64 ?

as for turning it off?

not really. dont go faster than 80MPH.

mind the K and Ka bands. you should be fine.

Dont ignore X if it gets stronger.

Sirius
Wed, Apr-13-2005, 07:09:36 PM
you going interstate 95, or I64 ?

as for turning it off?

not really. dont go faster than 80MPH.

mind the K and Ka bands. you should be fine.

Dont ignore X if it gets stronger.

He's already here.... just had lunch with him a couple hours ago.

beebo100
Wed, Apr-13-2005, 10:05:45 PM
move to tampa, it's the bomb baby.

M3_4_Me
Thu, Apr-14-2005, 11:49:43 AM
Any places in VA that will hardwire and do stealth install of the V1.. sounds like I might have to save up some money to help save it in the long run..:)

Their use is Illegal here, so that wouldn't make much business sense. I'm also fairly sure they aren't even sold in the state... i'm not saying someone wouldn't do it, but you won't find it in the yellow pages.

The following is from the Website of David A. Cardon, attorney in VA:
http://www.cglawfirm.net/speedingsix.htm

--
If a Virginia judge finds you guilty or if you decide to pre-pay the ticket for violating the radar detector statute, the fine is $40, plus a $28 processing fee, for a total of $68. No points on the license.

Just having the detector in your vehicle is evidence that you have violated the radar detector statute. This means that the police officer need only prove that you had the detector in your car or truck for the judge to find you guilty. The police officer does not have to prove the detector was working or that you were using it. Once the police officer proves the detector was in your car or truck, the burden of proof then shifts to you to prove you were not violating the statute.

You shall NOT be found guilty of violating the radar detector statute, if at the time of the offense (1) the radar detector had no power source; and/or (2) the radar detector was not readily accessible for use by the driver or any passenger of the vehicle. (i.e. in a trunk not accessible by the passenger compartment) Therefore, if you have a radar detector in your car you should keep it in your trunk when you are traveling in Virginia.
--

There is tons of other info there, if anyone is interested.

impulss
Mon, Apr-18-2005, 08:27:01 PM
another option is to custom mount it up where the moonroof controls would be... people put the V1 behind the felt so it's totally stealth..

I live in MD and I got pulled over last year in VA for having a radar detector. That's because it was mounted in the middle of my windshield and he could clearly see it.

I did get a ticket and the radar detector was returned to me after he took it to write down the model number. The radar detector ticket does show up on your driving record (but I'm not sure if insurance companies even care about it because I got new insurance and they didtn' seem to list it)