Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : SMG or Manual?

blink124
Sun, Dec-08-2002, 07:48:24 PM
I was wondering which do you guys prefer and why, SMG or Manual? I know it might sound dumb but I'd like to see what you guys say.

juju740
Mon, Dec-09-2002, 09:13:30 PM
The SMG is crap and the 3 series manual gearbox is one of the best around.

ossk8ter
Mon, Dec-09-2002, 09:38:53 PM
Why do you say SMG is crap?

juju740
Mon, Dec-09-2002, 09:48:47 PM
Allright crap is a strong word but I tested the new Maserati Cambiocorso before choosing an M3 and there is no comparison between the two. Granted Maserati gets to use the Ferrari technology but BMW (Williams) also has an F1 team and the SMG is not what it could have been. I found it a little jerky with some noticeable lag. I only want to use a paddleshifter that is smoother and faster than I am. That said it is still a phenomenal technolgical acheivement and is far superior to the Porsches automatic version.

ossk8ter
Mon, Dec-09-2002, 11:23:46 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I think the Maserati starts about at $87,000. Everything I've read so far concurs with your lurch experience but mainly in A1-5. Have you tried the SMG in S6?

juju740
Tue, Dec-10-2002, 12:30:57 AM
No I have not. All I have to say about the SMG is that it is one of those things you must try before you purchase.

Hunt NXS
Thu, Dec-12-2002, 03:49:38 PM
not only do you need to try it, you need to be instructed by an educated SMG owner or a professional. Several magazines have said that the BMW SMG is the best out there. I enjoy it much more than the manual. The SMG is what changed my mind about the M3.

Waiting delivery, PDC on Jan. 28th & 29th

Gavilan
Thu, Dec-12-2002, 04:34:48 PM
Originally posted by juju740
The SMG is crap and the 3 series manual gearbox is one of the best around.

I have a question for those with 6 speeds. When I test drove a new (non broken in) 2003 M3, I did not notice any need for extra effort or difficulty when pressing the clutch pedal, so wanting the feel of a manual versus the electronic feel of an SMG, I ordered a 6 speed that is due for delivery at the end of February.

I drove a colleagues (broken in) 2001 M3 with manual this week, and I noticed the need to apply quite a bit of effort to depress the clutch pedal. This concerned me, since may become a hastle in bumper to bumper traffic. This extra effort was not needed when I had a 328i, and a 996.

Could you all tell me your experiences with the effort to use the clutch pedal. Is it acceptable/comfortable, or do you feel that extra effort is needed? Does it change over time? I initially thought that the 2001s may have had a different clutch mechanism than the 2003s that could make depressing the clutch harder.

Thanks for your help and advise.

Ralph J.
Gavilan

tooshort
Fri, Dec-13-2002, 12:24:54 AM
Originally posted by juju740
No I have not. All I have to say about the SMG is that it is one of those things you must try before you purchase.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Only had driven a 6sp before I ordered SMG, and before I had it home I knew it was the right choice. After a couple of weeks, it is amazing and the car is completely different with SMG. Great car with a clutch, better car without it. Please stop "giving advice" about SMG until you've actually lived with it.

Black328iS
Wed, Dec-25-2002, 07:25:27 PM
ive heard from numerous people that the BMW SMG paddle shifters drive much better than the ferrari and maserati ones. this is coming from a one of my friends father who owns an SMG M3 and drives ferraris on the track almost monthly...

Sack17
Sat, Jan-18-2003, 08:38:44 AM
Dude. The SMG is tight. If your lazy and you want a manual. If you want the full M experience without... well the FULL M experience, 6-speed is the way to go. SMG is for single men who dont mind a "THUD" everytime the car upshifts... has anyone noticed this by the way? I just got a 2003 6-speed and i am more pleased with it than i am... well, anything.

mrlancer
Sat, Jan-18-2003, 03:59:29 PM
This is one of those things that you're probably going to love or hate. After reading about the SMG, despite my purist driving slant, I was ready to be overwhelmed by it. Then I drove it. While I believe BMW's claim that no human can shift faster, in my opinion it's not as fun to drive. I could see that if you have to drive in traffic a lot that the auto feature would be nice, but I found the auto clunky. And then there's the fact that my sweetie doesn't drive a stick, so I don't have to share.

///Mracer
Sat, Jan-18-2003, 04:59:46 PM
It is a hard choice but i would go with the Smg because many car magazines have said it is the best out there compared with porshce and ferraii paddle shift. BUt the smg does require some practice. THere a few minor problems. It also i a little pricey. THe 6 speed though is a lot of fun.

CHRISTOPHERM3
Sat, Jan-18-2003, 06:47:18 PM
I went with SMG After having stick my whole life.
Will SMG hurt or help resale?
How long will SMG last?
I know some bmw's go to 250/ 300 hundred thousand miles.
I will have my car shortly and will be able to test 4 myself.
But untill then. Say your in s-6 and you come to a traffic light,
what happens when you come to a full stop, will it stall ingear
or does the electroclutch depress, or are we in nuetral
some please explain this to me, Thanx

tooshort
Sat, Jan-18-2003, 09:14:10 PM
Originally posted by CHRISTOPHERM3
I went with SMG After having stick my whole life.
Will SMG hurt or help resale?

Should help

How long will SMG last?

Clutch will last longer(computer treats it better than people do), no news on hydraulics.

I know some bmw's go to 250/ 300 hundred thousand miles.
I will have my car shortly and will be able to test 4 myself.
But untill then. Say your in s-6 and you come to a traffic light,
what happens when you come to a full stop, will it stall ingear
or does the electroclutch depress, or are we in nuetral

Car will downshift to 2nd as you slow <10 mph; then 1st as you stop - no need to do anything but brake. Then, just hit the gas and go (and upshift)

some please explain this to me, Thanx

Have fun!

CHRISTOPHERM3
Sun, Jan-19-2003, 01:23:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tooshort

Have fun! [/QUOT

Thats what I wanted to hear, So all you have to do is step on the gas to squeel, I figure atleast I wont be abusing my clutch like I would if I was allowed(6-speed)