Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Washing enigne

e_phat
Mon, Oct-04-2004, 07:37:20 AM
I need to wash my engine compartment and was looking for any good way of doing this. What parts do I need to cover and should I use the pressure washer at the car wash?

Fly'n DuthhMan
Mon, Oct-04-2004, 07:40:30 AM
I use a little $300 pressure washer from sears, it works fine and doesn't seem to harm anything.

Sirius
Mon, Oct-04-2004, 10:28:49 AM
I always use degreaser and a hose with a sprayer.... do it while the engine is hot. Spray a little degresser everywhere, get a sponge with some soapy water and scrub the places with thick dirt. Then just rinse the engine off and let drip dry. I also use an older chamois to get the excess water up.

Super Gyros
Mon, Oct-04-2004, 12:17:48 PM
Use hair sampoo... Thats what I do and it keeps my engine bay shiny lol...

ArtM3
Mon, Oct-04-2004, 03:17:38 PM
I mix a little Klasse AIO and simple green in a bucket.

rinse engine with a garden hose

use an old wash mitt (protects your hand) to wash the engine, compartment, etc.

use a brush with a spray bottle of simple green for hard do reach areas

let sit for a couple of minutes, then rinse well

dry with an old towel, then drive for 15 minutes and park with hood open

I've posted some pics of mine after I did this, search for threads I started, clean inside and out, or something like that.

Roadkilled
Mon, Oct-04-2004, 05:48:40 PM
I always use degreaser and a hose with a sprayer.... do it while the engine is hot. Spray a little degresser everywhere, get a sponge with some soapy water and scrub the places with thick dirt. Then just rinse the engine off and let drip dry. I also use an older chamois to get the excess water up.

Hi Sirius, Wouldn`t there be an issue puttin cold water on a hot engine

G35
Mon, Oct-04-2004, 08:40:51 PM
Hi Sirius, Wouldn`t there be an issue puttin cold water on a hot engine

Yes thats what I'm thinking too! But maybe this is no different than driving in the rain? Maybe cold water on outside of engine is ok?

Brent_Vino
Mon, Oct-04-2004, 11:02:23 PM
Sirius should be banned for advising cold water on a hot engine!!!!!!!!!

ban ban ban!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue:

always make sure the engine is cold.

Sirius
Tue, Oct-05-2004, 04:07:50 AM
I have cleaned a ton of engines while they are hot... usually more on the warm side, but still. The heat helps get the water out faster. I have yet to run into ONE issue from this.

M34U2NV
Tue, Oct-05-2004, 05:42:01 AM
Also you can let your engine idle when you're done to let it dry.

-Frank

Brent_Vino
Tue, Oct-05-2004, 06:13:42 AM
cold water on a HOT engine can crack the block.

BaDm0theR
Tue, Oct-12-2004, 10:56:31 PM
Hehe, i think *warm*would be a better route than *hot.*

Mist water....
Us degreaser and scrub where needed....
Mist water and rinse lighty....
Dry....
Dress plastics as needed...

You can let the engine run idle as mentioned before to let the hard to reach places drip dry, and also evaporate the tiny leftover droplets you missed.

Gadgetman
Tue, Oct-19-2004, 06:25:39 PM
My M3 is on currently on order however, this is how I clean my engine in my 2001 GMC Sierra:

1. Rinse the engine compartment.
2. Spray Simple Green (It smells so good) all over the engine compartment. Let it soak in about 5mins.
3. Rinse the engine compartment.
4. Literally spray WD40 all over the engine.
5. Start the engine and let the heat evaporate the water.

The engine will look brand new again!

hiros
Wed, Oct-20-2004, 10:48:25 PM
the original question asked if any part of the engine needs to be covered, but I have not seen any answers. Just curious to know...

e_phat
Wed, Oct-20-2004, 11:45:45 PM
I ended up washing it with simple green and just spraying it off. I didn't cover any parts. I think it should be fine as long as you don't put high pressure on. Basically just rinsing it off seemed to do fine.

BMW F1
Sun, Nov-07-2004, 03:04:42 AM
I dont think the engine block would crack, its not glass but wouldnt think it would do it the world of good. Just with the engine bay warm would be ok, dont forget if your going to get yr hands and arms in their, u dont want it to be too hot for obvious reasons.

shim
Thu, Jan-13-2005, 04:47:20 AM
My M3 is on currently on order however, this is how I clean my engine in my 2001 GMC Sierra:

1. Rinse the engine compartment.
2. Spray Simple Green (It smells so good) all over the engine compartment. Let it soak in about 5mins.
3. Rinse the engine compartment.
4. Literally spray WD40 all over the engine.
5. Start the engine and let the heat evaporate the water.

The engine will look brand new again!

i know this is a late reply, but i thought i would respond. what gadgetman posted is exactly what i would do and is what was posted on e46fanatics.com. here's a before and after shot of an engine bay from e46 fanatics (should be pretty obvious which is which)

Sirius
Thu, Jan-13-2005, 05:02:58 AM
The only thing I don't get is spraying the oil everywhere.

I can understand for the glossy affect, but just like any other engine dressing; thats going to collect more dirt faster.

kyky
Thu, Jan-13-2005, 06:20:11 AM
Are there any areas that we should be extra careful about not getting wet?

shim
Thu, Jan-13-2005, 06:11:59 PM
Are there any areas that we should be extra careful about not getting wet?

here's a few items to cover (if you have them):
-intake
-xenon ballasts
-distributor (i doubt this applies to us)
-fuse box
-any exposed reservoirs

i might've forgotten a few extras. but spray lightly into your engine bay, cover any electrical components and you should be fine.

shim
Thu, Jan-13-2005, 06:14:05 PM

I can understand for the glossy affect, but just like any other engine dressing; thats going to collect more dirt faster.

the guys on e46 fanatics were saying that wd-40 had a tendency to eat away at rubber, but no proof. they mentioned if worried about wd-40 deteriorating rubber components, you could also use Pledge wood spray.

about spraying the oil everywhere, it's true that it would collect dirt faster, but it's what the dealerships do and it makes your engine bay look like the day you bought the car. it's also a good practice for the show car guys.

kyky
Fri, Jan-14-2005, 08:26:32 AM
here's a few items to cover (if you have them):
-intake
-xenon ballasts
-distributor (i doubt this applies to us)
-fuse box
-any exposed reservoirs

i might've forgotten a few extras. but spray lightly into your engine bay, cover any electrical components and you should be fine.

Thanks a lot. I think it's about time I clean my engine.

sullyz
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 08:04:07 PM
Just thought I'd add a couple things.
1. Do NOT apply water to the engine bay when it is hot. ONLY apply when it is cold... then start it up after you're done to let the heat help evaporate the water more quickly.
2. Another item you might want to cover is the alternator.
3. Don't spray water into the engine bay. Just let the water pour out of the hose at mild pressure.

I've had good luck with some of the spray foam engine de-greasers like Gunk.

Sirius
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 08:06:02 PM
:hmm:

I don't think the alt is going to get hurt by water. Considering that BMW uses water cooling for some of their alts on their other models.

sullyz
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 09:42:53 PM
:hmm:

I don't think the alt is going to get hurt by water. Considering that BMW uses water cooling for some of their alts on their other models.

You're probably right that it won't really hurt it, most of the components inside can't rust and the bearings are sealed... I just try to avoid it if possible.

Water cooling in alternators is in fact used by several manufacturers, but they have a sealed (heat exchange) cooling system much like oil coolers... it's not like they just spray water on it.

uansari1
Mon, Jan-31-2005, 03:59:48 PM

Not sure that I would use WD40, but WD stands for "water displacer" or something like that. It's original use was to displace moisture. I think driving around for a bit and letting the engine warm up, then parking it in the sun and opening the hood would work equally well at drying up the water.

BMWM3FTW
Sun, Jan-27-2008, 03:24:57 PM
I hear Simple Green is corrosive (to aluminum) and is bad for plastic ... be careful.

TOGWT
Mon, Jan-28-2008, 12:44:36 PM
the original question asked if any part of the engine needs to be covered, but I have not seen any answers. Just curious to know...

•Remove any excess debris, leaves and etc from the hood, grille or air-vent openings
•Spray electrical connectors with WD40 which repels moisture / water (avoid spraying on belts)
•Use cling-film or Saran wrap elastic covers to cover any sensors, electrical black boxes, electrical devises that could cause an electrical short-circuits if subjected to water spray.
•This will not guarantee that you won’t cause a problem when cleaning an engine bay but it will greatly reduce the risks.
•Start and run the engine to get it warm, not hot, this will enable the de-greaser to work more efficiently on a warm surface.

Engine Bay Detailing –http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11062018&posted=1#post11062018

97_4dr_5spd_m3
Fri, Feb-01-2008, 11:49:45 PM
wd-40 stands for "water displacement and it was prefected on it's 40th try"

It would be applied for its shiny look and to make the black plastics pieces look new....until dirt sticks, then you spray water and it cleans easier..

Also it is a rust preventor..